What quick hitch for yer mini?

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Cheers Routy ;)

if you're doing new plates, holing them as a pair will help dramatically
WP_20160122_15_29_19_Pro.jpg

be sure to get the centres right and your pins parallel to each other and square to the cheeks .... horizontally and vertically

WP_20160122_15_47_48_Pro.jpg

if you haven't got anything suitable to use as a substantial spacer/packer, tack a couple of braces across the tops, if doing loose pins ....

WP_20150220_15_18_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20150220_14_32_44_Pro.jpg

whilst stitching up and firming all welds
if they're fixed pins, some substantial stitches of the pins to cheeks'll keep them spaced and in place , but good stitches and sequential welding will keep things in place .... if you do have a good packer, even better .....

WP_20160123_13_54_38_Pro.jpg

the thin card in these is to assist in getting the packer back out and give me an extra half mil on the tolerance
WP_20160123_13_54_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20160123_13_57_24_Pro.jpg

when you're happy everything's right ... secure the pins .... and burn it all in :):giggle:

WP_20160123_15_41_01_Pro.jpg

shout if I can help in any way ;)

Routy56

Routy56

Update on my new quick hitch project:
The new hitch arrived direct from Harford as promised within the 10 day lead in time :)
Photo below shows me fettling it with black paint before fitting, after a few scratches were acquired along the way.
IMG_7972.jpeg

New hitch tried for size and it fit perfectly.
Note my nice new nipple covers (oh er Matron!) :p
The more observant will note that I specified a coupling eye.
This came with a test certificate and SWL of 1 tonne :cool:
IMG_7977.jpeg

As well as a nice printed manual Hartford supplied some nice new stickers (y)
IMG_7980.jpeg

The next task was to modify all me buckets with dummy pins. 3m of EN8 bright bar was delivered last week :geek:
My stick welder was NOT up to the job with the thermal overload tripping out.
Borrowed my mates nice inverter welder. Absolute dream to use......
IMG_7981.jpeg

........arc was easy to strike up with excellent penetration using 2.5mm sticks.
Hardly had to use the angle grinder to clean up :p
IMG_7983.jpeg

Decided to tidy up the buckets with a lick of paint before they became a rusty mess on and behind the new pins.
Shown here is a nice grey etch primer :geek:
IMG_7984.jpeg

Had to get creative when I could find my tin of Neuson grey paint.
Knowing that we all have Ferguson paint kicking around, I darkened some nice Ferguson Grey with a splash of black.
Added some old fast thinners 'cos it was only 9c outside. Into the old spray gun and away we go :p
IMG_7988.jpeg

Chuffed with the results. The dark Ferguson Grey actually looks superb.
Didn't do the undersides and I know that the sides will soon get scratched to buggery, but I like things give a good clean up :cool:
IMG_7989.jpeg

So, there you go all sorted ready to tackle the growing list of customers and business partners wanting my services.
At least when I rock up with all this new looking kit, it looks like I now what I am doing :ROFLMAO:
IMG_7992.jpeg

Routy56

Routy56

You bloody tart! :ROFLMAO:

Looks great mate. (y)(y)(y) Nice to have no slop in the hitch/bucket pins?
Ha ha - thought someone would see the fun in what we do :p
Did the dipper bushes a few weeks ago (y)
But still got add a few shims here and there now I don’t have to keep messing around with greasy pins :eek:

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Yep - did that when I put new tracks in a few weeks ago :cool:
BTW - thanks for yer help advice and inspiration in tackling this project(y)
'swhat it's all about ;) .... I've had a lot of help and advice from various forums and only too pleased to be able to 'give back' (y) :)
Looks good too Boyo :cool: