What quick hitch for yer mini?

Routy56

Routy56

Having owned my Neuson 1503RD for a number of years it's time to upgrade to a nice quick hitch :cool:
Getting a bit fed up with greasy pins bucket changovers.....
Here's a shot of my recently refurbished dipper!
IMG_7839.jpeg

Before I commit to buying my new one once again want to ask my wise old friends on this forum for their advice :geek:
My machine spec for buckets and attachment is
32mm pins
120mm dipper width
130mm between pin centres.
Don't think that this is a popular spec and have had to have stuff made up so far :rolleyes:

@doobin has already recommended a Harford Wedgelock on my bush thread - will give them a call/email shortly
https://harfordattachments.co.uk/quick-couplers/pro-lok/

So, my friends what do you recommend and why :geek:

doobin

doobin

^Yup, Pro Lock, not Wedgelock, well spotted. Have run one under my mini for three years with no problems. Have a second one on the mico.

I recommend the above because the action of doing up the wedge compensates for differently worn pins in different buckets. It also means you can use welded pins (much easier to then mod other buckets to fit) and you can pick up buckets backwards in face shovel mode just as easily as forwards.

If your buckets are pretty shagged, you might find it worthwhile getting a 'mix and match' hitch. Mine are both this, and Hardford are happy to do them. This means that you can buy a cheap bucket set for a popular machine. Modding any buckets you wish to keep would simply be a case of using plasma or gas to cut a rough hole in the right spot, aligning two new pins and welding them up. You could shim the cheeks (as your hitch, like mine, is pretty wide) but the wedgelock action means that it's not really neccesary. On my micro there is 10mm of extra space between the bosses due to the Bobcat dealer talking shit and not knowing their machine's spec. The wedge locks it tight and it's not an issue.

The lifting eye option is well worth the extra £40 to be able to lift easily and safely.

Routy56

Routy56

^Yup, Pro Lock, not Wedgelock, well spotted. Have run one under my mini for three years with no problems. Have a second one on the mico.

I recommend the above because the action of doing up the wedge compensates for differently worn pins in different buckets. It also means you can use welded pins (much easier to then mod other buckets to fit) and you can pick up buckets backwards in face shovel mode just as easily as forwards.

If your buckets are pretty shagged, you might find it worthwhile getting a 'mix and match' hitch. Mine are both this, and Hardford are happy to do them. This means that you can buy a cheap bucket set for a popular machine. Modding any buckets you wish to keep would simply be a case of using plasma or gas to cut a rough hole in the right spot, aligning two new pins and welding them up. You could shim the cheeks (as your hitch, like mine, is pretty wide) but the wedgelock action means that it's not really neccesary. On my micro there is 10mm of extra space between the bosses due to the Bobcat dealer talking shit and not knowing their machine's spec. The wedge locks it tight and it's not an issue.

The lifting eye option is well worth the extra £40 to be able to lift easily and safely.
Spot on advice my friend (y)
Harford have already replied ".....Pro-Lok hitch is £451.00 + vat, lifting eye is an extra £40.00 + vat"
That'll be only £589.20 - so gonna order one right now :ROFLMAO:
Will opt for the lifting eye because they will issue a certificate for it if done from new.
Looks like I'll be converting my existing buckets, which are in excellent order, to 32mm with welded pins......
.....so gotta find source of 32mm bar :rolleyes:

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Harford have already replied ".....Pro-Lok hitch is £451.00 + vat, lifting eye is an extra £40.00 + vat"
Will opt for the lifting eye because they will issue a certificate for it if done from new.
Looks like I'll be converting my existing buckets, which are in excellent order, to 32mm with welded pins......
Are Harford dealing with you direct Dave?

Routy56

Routy56

Are Harford dealing with you direct Dave?
Yes - simply pinged an enquiry form from their web site.
Minutes later had a reply back from the Customer Liaison Manager.
Phoned her back and sent an email order off......
.......seemed perfectly normal :unsure:

CPS

CPS

Ask them for some 32mm bar..... it's not easy to get hold off😣

doobin

doobin

32mm bar is available from stock from Parker Steel if Harford haven't got any, but if they do then you might as well have a full set of dummy pins from them.

Good shout mate, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

CPS

CPS

On a similar note. I have a hydraulic hitch to suit a Kubota ķx 61 on 30mm pins. Came of a machine getting a Rototilt. Customer asked me if I could sell it for him?

Alexmac

Alexmac

I use the safelock on my tb016, it’s done well but if fairly worn out now though. Pro-lok would irritate me having to get a ratchet on it every time you want to take the bucket off.

Routy56

Routy56

I use the safelock on my tb016, it’s done well but if fairly worn out now though. Pro-lok would irritate me having to get a ratchet on it every time you want to take the bucket off.
Now you tell me :rolleyes:
Never mind I love ratchets - I guess it’s what you get used to :ROFLMAO:
Will give a report on this thread once I’ve got it in use. Harford have got my order with a 10 day lead in time 😎

Alexmac

Alexmac

Now you tell me :rolleyes:
Never mind I love ratchets - I guess it’s what you get used to :ROFLMAO:
Will give a report on this thread once I’ve got it in use. Harford have got my order with a 10 day lead in time 😎
Haha sorry chap only just seen your post. Get the ratchet gun on it instead 😂
Post some photos up when you have it.

B

Brendan

It too sure on the ratchet ones all the times have had them on hire machines they have been tightened too much and seem to stick

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Ask them for some 32mm bar..... it's not easy to get hold off😣
32 mil is only inch and a quarter Aiden and easily available from stockholders in most grades of BDMS ;)

Routy56

Routy56

32 mil is only inch and a quarter Aiden and easily available from stockholders in most grades of BDMS ;)
As a superb fabricator can I ask you a few questions 🤓
What grade do you think I’ll need for my dummy pins?
How much weld shall I use on each end all the way round or just tacked in 3 or 4 places?
What da ya think 😎

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

How much weld shall I use on each end all the way round or just tacked in 3 or 4 places?
What da ya think 😎
I wouldn’t weld them in, if your making up a new attachment or modifying an old bucket to suit your machine, then fine, weld them in. But on existing buckets that fit the machine, I’d just make up proper pins and bolt or clip them in, however they are secured now. That way you always have the option to take the hitch off and return to a direct mounted bucket, because you just never know.........

Druid will no doubt be the expert on the metal, but as a have-a-go hero type, I’d use something like EN8, possibly EN16 but that’s overkill I reckon, ok if that’s all you can get, I’d think the 8 would do the job well. They are only dummy pins after all.

V8Druid

V8Druid

I wouldn’t weld them in, if your making up a new attachment or modifying an old bucket to suit your machine, then fine, weld them in. But on existing buckets that fit the machine, I’d just make up proper pins and bolt or clip them in, however they are secured now. That way you always have the option to take the hitch off and return to a direct mounted bucket, because you just never know.........

Druid will no doubt be the expert on the metal, but as a have-a-go hero type, I’d use something like EN8, possibly EN16 but that’s overkill I reckon, ok if that’s all you can get, I’d think the 8 would do the job well. They are only dummy pins after all.
I'd agree with James across the board there (y) ... if you've buckets that are the right fit, I'd retain the ability to pull the pins ;) ... never know when you might need to :unsure: .... making new, fine weld them in ... as long as you can not see the need to ever be able to pull pins, but it is a lot of work to make them removable, in comparison :rolleyes: 's why all mine are removable with the exception of my VA-r pick up .... which I've since regretted doing and may well get altered at some point .... be nice to be able to direct mount that on occasion to cut down on built height

What da ya think 😎
Many thanks for the kind words Routy :) .... as they say "get good or go home" .... I've spent a lifetime practicing ;)

As James said EN 8 OR EN10'd do .... they do not want to be too hard.....rather wear them, than the hitch jaws and can be replaced.(y)

let them protrude 6-8mm each side so you can get a nice bead around them .... and be able to disc that off, back to flat, if you need to change them .... chamfering the ends and having them welded in flush looks good, but would be a bastard to change :( .... you'd have to broach the ends of the pins out :( ..... if you did go that route, make sure you put a bloody good centre pop mark in each end of the pins before doing anything to them;) .... would help in any future removals (y) ........ and full weld them on the outer cheek faces only :)

Any good stockholder should be able to supply you a 3 M random of inch and a quarter BDMS [bright drawn mild steel] round, at a lot less than you'll pay for cut pins:)... last 3M bar of 70mm I bought was 70 odd quid.....will pay that and more for a single pin :eek:

feel free to ask away anytime Boyo .... goes for anyone..... if I can help, just ask and I will if I can ;)(y)..... I've had lotsa help from forums over the years and am always happy to give back :giggle:

V8Druid

V8Druid

What da ya think 😎
a few examples ;) .... to fit:-

S50
WP_20171204_14_33_42_Pro.jpg

S50 [set up ready for nailing ]
WP_20171201_13_35_28_Pro.jpg

6 ton Doosan [kinshofer grab pick up]
WP_20170421_17_28_47_Pro.jpg

3t Tachi [bucket supplied with under size pins :unsure:]
WP_20170331_12_14_11_Pro.jpg

my 9t Hill [under me VA-r]
WP_20160123_16_17_04_Pro.jpg

9t Hill under me VA-r [for picking up me second fork set]
WP_20160228_13_23_47_Pro.jpg

lighter than my 4t set of forks, retained by two bolts ....
WP_20160228_15_14_36_Pro.jpg

...... and originally made for here ;) .... will go back on here in minutes, if required
WP_20150609_17_56_12_Pro.jpg

Nick...

Nick...

I’d recommend a harford prolock.got one on my current machine having had a wedgelock on 3previous smaller machines.im suprised harford have dealt direct.allways found them very unhelpful when I’ve asked and been told to contact local dealer who adds his 20% on top.they lost an order for 3buckets a year ago and I went to rhino who were very helpful and saved me a load of money.seems ridiculous being 15 mikes from harford but go further away for better service and money saving
Nick...

Routy56

Routy56

I’d recommend a harford prolock.got one on my current machine having had a wedgelock on 3previous smaller machines.im suprised harford have dealt direct.allways found them very unhelpful when I’ve asked and been told to contact local dealer who adds his 20% on top.they lost an order for 3buckets a year ago and I went to rhino who were very helpful and saved me a load of money.seems ridiculous being 15 mikes from harford but go further away for better service and money saving
Nick...
Thanks Nick for your advice (y)
Will obviously report back once Harfords have given me good service with photos etc :unsure:

Routy56

Routy56

@V8Druid - your guide with photos is superb (y)
So, this morning I have ordered 3m of EN8 1 1/4" bright bar from a local suppler.
Now getting ready to covert my attachments once the Harford Pr-Lok hitch arrives.
Hope my skills are up to the task. If it goes well I'll post photos :ROFLMAO: