We need a crane thread ....... so here it is

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Comments 🤣
pay peanuts, employ monkeys - rest is in the video
I sold my Grove 45 tonner to a guy from South America ... Louise Carbalo -- decent bloke .... it got stuck on a boat out of Southampton IIRC ... can't recall the destination port, but when it got there they didn't have a big enough dockside to lift it off with ... so it came back, still lashed to the deck .... and went back to a port with big enough gear the second time ..... God knows what it was like after at least 4 months at sea, on deck in all that salt water

Bucket on wheels

Bucket on wheels

419067627_726387529703688_8318571189036156218_n.jpg

V8Druid

V8Druid

" in much of the country abnormal loads like mobile cranes are not allowed on the roads between 7am and 9am in the morning and between 4pm and 6pm in the afternoon.

In London, the Met Police has banned all mobile cranes, even small two-axle ones, from the roads bewteen 6am and 10am in the mornings on weekdays and between 3.30pm and 8pm in the evenings. At weekends and on bank holidays, cranes cannot move in London between 10.30am and 8pm...... "It's madness," one crane hire boss told us. "The cops are on a power trip." "

must make for a logistical nightmare :oops::(

" Here is the a list of places where mobile cranes will not be able to operate this Easter (information supplied by Abnormal Load Logistics).

Devon &Cornwall Police: 3pm Thursday 28th March 2024 until 6.20am Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Dorset Police: 3pm Thursday 28th March 2024 until 6:20am on Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Dyfed-Powys Police: 3pm Thursday 28th March 2024 until 7am Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Hampshire Constabulary : Noon, Thursday 28th March 2024 until 6am Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Lancashire Police: 4pm Thursday 28th March 2024 until 9:30am Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Norfolk & Suffolk Constabularies: No movements during bank holidays
Northamptonshire Police: No movements during bank holidays
North Wales Police: 6am Thursday 28th March until 1am Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Surrey & Sussex Police: Noon, Thursday 28th March 2024 until daylight on Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Staffordshire Police: 00:01am Friday 29th March until daylight on Tuesday 2nd April
Thames Valley Police: Noon, Friday 29th March until 06am Tuesday 2nd April 2024

West Midlands Police: 00.01am Friday 29th March until 9am Tuesday 2nd April 2024 "

remarkably nothing in Monmouthshire who're know for being bar stewards usually :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

6feetdown

" in much of the country abnormal loads like mobile cranes are not allowed on the roads between 7am and 9am in the morning and between 4pm and 6pm in the afternoon.

In London, the Met Police has banned all mobile cranes, even small two-axle ones, from the roads bewteen 6am and 10am in the mornings on weekdays and between 3.30pm and 8pm in the evenings. At weekends and on bank holidays, cranes cannot move in London between 10.30am and 8pm...... "It's madness," one crane hire boss told us. "The cops are on a power trip." "

must make for a logistical nightmare :oops::(

" Here is the a list of places where mobile cranes will not be able to operate this Easter (information supplied by Abnormal Load Logistics).

Devon &Cornwall Police: 3pm Thursday 28th March 2024 until 6.20am Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Dorset Police: 3pm Thursday 28th March 2024 until 6:20am on Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Dyfed-Powys Police: 3pm Thursday 28th March 2024 until 7am Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Hampshire Constabulary : Noon, Thursday 28th March 2024 until 6am Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Lancashire Police: 4pm Thursday 28th March 2024 until 9:30am Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Norfolk & Suffolk Constabularies: No movements during bank holidays
Northamptonshire Police: No movements during bank holidays
North Wales Police: 6am Thursday 28th March until 1am Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Surrey & Sussex Police: Noon, Thursday 28th March 2024 until daylight on Tuesday 2nd April 2024
Staffordshire Police: 00:01am Friday 29th March until daylight on Tuesday 2nd April
Thames Valley Police: Noon, Friday 29th March until 06am Tuesday 2nd April 2024

West Midlands Police: 00.01am Friday 29th March until 9am Tuesday 2nd April 2024 "

remarkably nothing in Monmouthshire who're know for being bar stewards usually :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
Hi hear Monmouth is about to get worse with all the planned works

V8Druid

V8Druid

Boy works with me said closing bridge across river plus other numerous roadworks at same time
In and out from Dixton end or Hereford road only then :unsure::unsure: .. will be bloody chaos :oops::(
or are you talking 'bout the bridge over the Wye off the dual carriageway to Wyesham .... that'll make for some detour

Last edited:
O

Old Operator

Bit of info on old Priestman Wolf & Panther here, found by accident
https://flic.kr/p/nGV8t6 Seems these had a worm drive to the jib winch, hence self braking, a three position lever put either slew, travel, or jib into gear with the two way clutch lever.
Only ever drove the Priestman Beaver (hybrid mech / hyd machine based on the Cub & sometimes known as the Hydro - Cub) but interested in the old mech friction drive machines. Quite a few pages of info there if you scroll on through (I hope) Click on the image, it then allows you to go to next pages

V8Druid

V8Druid

Spotted this on marketplace, be handy for @V8Druid to tow into his patch for shed building 😉

IIRC someone bought one of these recently .. Ex-BCEF member - friend of @Giles

and I've got a duck :giggle:

Last edited:
V8Druid

V8Druid

Bit of info on old Priestman Wolf & Panther here, found by accident
https://flic.kr/p/nGV8t6 Seems these had a worm drive to the jib winch, hence self braking, a three position lever put either slew, travel, or jib into gear with the two way clutch lever.
Only ever drove the Priestman Beaver (hybrid mech / hyd machine based on the Cub & sometimes known as the Hydro - Cub) but interested in the old mech friction drive machines. Quite a few pages of info there if you scroll on through (I hope) Click on the image, it then allows you to go to next pages
spent many an hour in a Panther's saddle in my teens and as far as I recall the derrick winch was a straight drum, clutch and brake .. almost 100% you could free fall the derrick, like the hoist and drag winches ... was a lovely old girl - early '60s machine and would love to find it ... 's one I'd have to buy ... came from a firm called Newport Tool and Plant hire and had done very little ... mid green and cream ...... I might just have some pix somewhere?
replaced the 10 RB I used to op.

6feetdown

In and out from Dixton end or Hereford road only then :unsure::unsure: .. will be bloody chaos :oops::(
or are you talking 'bout the bridge over the Wye off the dual carriageway to Wyesham .... that'll make for some detour
I think across the Wye

V8Druid

V8Druid

I think across the Wye
had heard a while back it was on the cards, but assumed it wasn't happening, as it hadn't :giggle: ..... that carries a hell of a lot of pedestrians as well as vehicles in a day .... fair way in either direction the next bridge :oops::unsure:

6feetdown

had heard a while back it was on the cards, but assumed it wasn't happening, as it hadn't :giggle: ..... that carries a hell of a lot of pedestrians as well as vehicles in a day .... fair way in either direction the next bridge :oops::unsure:
Yeah I think around 6 mo th closure too!

O

Old Operator

The Cub / Beaver had a kind of notched wheel on the lower vertical bevel cross shaft, a piece of flat bar engaged in any one of the notches on the wheel, this formed the 'digging lock' so all needed to be stationary before engaging the lock. If you wished to stop downhill you needed reverse thrust from the directional clutches (a sort of hill start) to get the lock in. Running freely on the cross shafts were the small roller chain sprockets. These were each pushed by spring toward a disc that was keyed to the shaft. Pins engaged holes in the disc. these pins also went through to the other side of the sprocket & could so engage into the base frame. So the track could be in gear (as normal) or free running (mid pos) or spragged (fully out). There was a grey area where the track could run backwards on a steep hill. The machine carried a warning saying 'chock track before releasing dog clutch on steep hills' i.e. before attempting to steer. Note the digging lock wheel was upstream of the dog clutches!
I was warned never to attempt travel unless the travel / swing selector was in travel AND the slew lock was on, otherwise things could get tricky quickly!
ALSO to never engage swing unless the digging lock was engaged. Otherwise the machine could run away & be unstoppable. Once you were in position it drove like any other digger - except that slew did not self brake so may need a bit of feathering to stop it just where you needed it
The machine had been piped for a small (3C sized) Goblin / Montabert hammer. I spent the summer holiday of '76 on this aged 15 while my uncle cleared the rubble away with a modern 3C! We were removing some huge chimney foundation bases that had been earlier dropped by Fred Dibnah!
I think the Cub was very much built down to a price, (the 10RB had better actual wrap around brakes I was told). An 18 yr old youth had dropped out to go surfing for the summer, no one else any good was available so I was the last hope. Early plant was character forming! I deserved the occasional basket meal with my girl & an under age drink or two - all covered by my uncle!

B

bobthebuilder

Hi hear Monmouth is about to get worse with all the planned works

what're they up to there ? ... don't frequent it very often

Boy works with me said closing bridge across river plus other numerous roadworks at same time

absolute f****ng carnage ,roadworks on the dual carridge way (landslip towards ross)piss poor cone works causeing choas.bottom of town redoing pavements and t junction (drybridge house ) ,welsh water turned onnow st into one way ,now going to shut main st ,plus surrounding streets.closing dual carridgeway at night for resurfacing,closing wye bridge shortly for repairs and resurfaceing,,apart from that it can take an hour to get thru town,5 week closure for wye bridge,
shops reporting a 90% drop in takings and not getting better much this year.and the council just increased parking charges

6feetdown

absolute f****ng carnage ,roadworks on the dual carridge way (landslip towards ross)piss poor cone works causeing choas.bottom of town redoing pavements and t junction (drybridge house ) ,welsh water turned onnow st into one way ,now going to shut main st ,plus surrounding streets.closing dual carridgeway at night for resurfacing,closing wye bridge shortly for repairs and resurfaceing,,apart from that it can take an hour to get thru town,5 week closure for wye bridge,
shops reporting a 90% drop in takings and not getting better much this year.and the council just increased parking charges
And that car park opened just in time