Volvo EC15b Advice - my first digger!

M

MatcherMike

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone could offer me some advice on buying my first digger please?

1. What should i check when buying? I know the simple no smoke, all controls work, track wear etc, but nothing else!
2. Does anyone have an opinion on this, ebay item 283440219962

I'm looking for a 1.5t around 4-6k with joystick controls for some general shifting of stone, pipe digging and to get me started on the machines!

Many thanks in advance.

Mike

Gunners

Gunners

^^^^ Well best avoid that one then!:ROFLMAO:
I bought my first machine off ebay and to be honest I wouldn't do it again. So many scams and no backup if it goes wrong. Bought a JCB 801 with a nice paint job, 1800hrs, 3 buckets and a trailer for £6k no vat back in 2010. Its done my well don't get me wrong but along the way suffered new tracks, new hydraulic pump, had to rechrome a scratched ram that leaked, all new pins and bushes, and the center hydraulic rotator unit needed rebuilding as it leaked. This all happened in the first 100hrs of owning it - maybe bad luck, but £1k later and shes a nice machine now. Don't even get me started on the trailer - it had odd sized tyres on and that was just the start!
The thing is I had no comeback to the seller who clearly bought machines from auction, painted them and sold them on. I would now use a respectable 2nd hand dealer who could source me a machine in my budget or might just have something in stock. At least if it does decide to die in the first month or two then there is some backup.

Look how tidy she looked back then - you can see why I was tempted:p

Attachments

• JCB.JPG
    JCB.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 197
M

MatcherMike

Thanks all - may of saved me a fortune there!

Yes i can see why you were tempted. That looks exactly what i am looking for and for £6k would sound a steal. That said, even for £7k after repairs it seems like a good deal at todays prices (i don't know how prices have changed in 8 years). Ebay is a minefield, but looks to be 7/8k just for a modern style 2003-2005 digger. Nothing as nice as that one.

I'm not sure i can afford to go to a local dealer. Can anyone name or recommend some in the south west/south wales area? I'm in Gloucestershire, so anywhere m4/m5 area.

I'm not going to get lots and lots of use. 100hrs might be a years use! The other option seems to be an older style unit with non joystick type controls. A local place has quite a lot of those, but they are really old style, with half cab style roofs. I worry about resale on these should i not get on with it and wish to shift.

Many thanks again all, this forum is great!
Mike

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Thanks all - ........Can anyone name or recommend some in the south west/south wales area?........ The other option seems to be an older style unit with non joystick type controls. A local place has quite a lot of those,....... I worry about resale on these should i not get on with it and wish to shift.

Many thanks again all, this forum is great!
Mike
http://barnesplant.co.uk/ I've known John 30 years .. straight forward bloke and his son Jonathan is OK too ...... see if he has anything to suit - his stock turns over fast so look regularly .... he's about 10 miles from me and I'll call in for a coffee when passing ... you are looking in a very difficult range though for sure .....
Plus of course there's our very own Ross who runs this site @Regy53 he is good at finding stuff if he hasn't anything to suit ... but as said ... difficult price bracket ;)

pettsy

pettsy

Was in a similar position to yourself last year when looking for a micro digger. Saw plenty on eBay but lots of scams and very hard to confirm ownership etc. I waited and eventually bought a used part ex machine from Ross (@Regy53) at Sandhill plant. Have just sold it this week as upgraded to a newer one from my local dealer.

Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
The problem you have is any machines and I mean any machines are leaving this country so fast due to brexit and in that price bracket you need to be really really fast.

We have been flat out and export has taken over. Everybody’s panicking we are about to fall out with Europe on Friday so if they have a lorry they are buying up everything and anything to fill them.

I don’t know of any machines for sale in that price bracket but don’t discredit a auction. A lot of end users have taken to this at the moment and there can be some nice things in there. Go to Brightwells Thursday with a mechanic and have a look at a few bits there. Tb016s are usually a great buy reliable machines. 2007 machines were making 5900 last year ( I bought a couple and they are always ok) If the tracks are down don’t fret run them for a bit and replace one at a time ( within a few months) when you can either afford it or want to. Good tracks always help resale.

maz

maz

The problem you have is any machines and I mean any machines are leaving this country so fast due to brexit and in that price bracket you need to be really really fast.

We have been flat out and export has taken over. Everybody’s panicking we are about to fall out with Europe on Friday so if they have a lorry they are buying up everything and anything to fill them.

I don’t know of any machines for sale in that price bracket but don’t discredit a auction. A lot of end users have taken to this at the moment and there can be some nice things in there. Go to Brightwells Thursday with a mechanic and have a look at a few bits there. Tb016s are usually a great buy reliable machines. 2007 machines were making 5900 last year ( I bought a couple and they are always ok) If the tracks are down don’t fret run them for a bit and replace one at a time ( within a few months) when you can either afford it or want to. Good tracks always help resale.

Your spot on, I know a local plant dealer who is travelling the country collecting 1.5’s, putting 10 on an artic and shipping them to Romania every month. Apparently they are paying top dollar as well. Not leaving much of a market for Brits on a budget.

Nick...

Nick...

I had 2x ec15 volvos.both were faultless apart from exhaust pipe fracturing and one had the bracket were the ram mounts on left lift up bit with servo lever on it break of.both were great machines
Nick...

B

Big Dunk

after some advice on the volvo ec 15 b
i have a dipper and boom but have no cylinders can some one please record the closed length and open lengths of them and rod dia

B

Big Dunk

also need the tipping links and bucket lengths or drawings for them ?

V8Druid

V8Druid

after some advice on the volvo ec 15 b
i have a dipper and boom but have no cylinders can some one please record the closed length and open lengths of them and rod dia
did you buy that one on ebay a week or two back, missing the front end?

V8Druid

V8Druid

no i have bought a second hand boom for replacing my one just after some cylinders info
so what's wrong with what you have and why new cylinders for the s/h unit? thought you were after your first digger, or'd you buy one with issues?
Hi All,
I'm hoping someone could offer me some advice on buying my first digger please?
Many thanks in advance.
Mike

Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
I had 2x ec15 volvos.both were faultless apart from exhaust pipe fracturing and one had the bracket were the ram mounts on left lift up bit with servo lever on it break of.both were great machines
Nick...
That’s well known that the exhaust falls off!