UK Pickups - reviews

Gunners

Gunners

This may of been explained before but can someone fill me in on how a vehicle weighing 2910kg GVW can tow 3.5t when its GTW is only 6t? I didn't think it was that heavy empty and apparently its one of the lighter trucks??

Gunners

Gunners

**Edit**

Ive googled it. Basically after taking into account its kerb weight plus me Ill have about 300kg to play with before I'm over the train weight. Thanks for pointing that out Fred - I hadnt considered it before but that should be fine for what I carry

S

Smiffy

This may of been explained before but can someone fill me in on how a vehicle weighing 2910kg GVW can tow 3.5t when its GTW is only 6t? I didn't think it was that heavy empty and apparently its one of the lighter trucks??
The gvw of it is including the payload which i think is around 900kg on the nissan so empty nissan =2000kg + trailer @3500kg is 5500kg so 500kg inc driverand fuel left for payload

Is about 250kg on ranger

B

Brendan

Ollie you'd need to put the pickup on a weighbridge the book figure doesn't take into account towbar and any other options.
Price seems good but that rear coil spring looks wrong when loaded or towing the arse end squats down although heard they did an update. Ranger has over the last few years always won every group test and came top for towing.
My 3.2 auto ranger weighs in at around 2.3t if I tow 3.5t with my in pickup I'm lucky to have a spare 100kg which doesn't go far with a few bits of kit on the back.
I'm debating paying the money and getting wabtec to do the gvm and gtw upgrade which on the ranger is a vb semi-air rear air bag that sits between the axle and chassis. That way would get a 7t gtw and ability to carry a ton on the pickup

B

Brendan

Couple of things to note is in the navara's manual it recommends to not tow and pretty sure the Hilux manual implies that towing can invalidate warranty

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Couple of things to note is in the navara's manual it recommends to not tow and pretty sure the Hilux manual implies that towing can invalidate warranty
Really?

Why do they fit a Nissan approved tow bar then? And give it a 3.5t towing capacity?

pettsy

pettsy

That’s got to be there as a warranty claim get-out. “Oh sorry sir as you have used it to tow I’m afraid that’s no longer covered by the warranty”

doobin

doobin

That's pathetic. Interesting how they have a different story for the Kiwis, Ausses and Saffers- they'd not sell a single one there otherwise!

I'd never buy a Navara. Too many horror stories in the past, and now this.

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

:ROFLMAO: As a satisfied Navara owner you must be amused by these last few pages of reviews :ROFLMAO:
FYI ordered my Tekna last Thursday waiting for collection day soon.....
....meanwhile workshop filling up with stuff to bolt on and make it a work horse :cool:
The test drive impressed you then Dave (y)

J

Jimoz

Yes would destroy their Aussie market. Would the vehicles be any different there do you think or just a paperwork get out clause?

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Yes would destroy their Aussie market. Would the vehicles be any different there do you think or just a paperwork get out clause?
I can’t see how they can get away with putting that in the handbook, when a factory approved tow bar is on the options list????
There will be very few of those vehicles in this country that don’t get fitted with a tow bar.

M

Monkeybusiness

I’ve got 2 years/44000 faultless miles on the new shape Navara, including a lot of heavy towing (3.5 tonne regularly). It does everything as far as I’m concerned - we even used it for a family ski holiday to the alps and back last year.
It is the best all-rounder on the market imo - if there was a better equivalent I’d buy it.
I think the big engined ranger (and possibly the Amarok too) are limited to 60mph on the motorway due to their unladen weight, the Hilux is underpowered and agricultural, and the L200 isn’t for me.
I know they have a bad name due to D40 chassis issues (Nissan bought faulty ones back at very favourable rates to their credit) but I ran 3 of those for a total of 200k miles and they were very good too in honesty (but weren’t old enough to show corrosion issues in my ownership).
I wouldn’t discount the Navara without trying one - they are practically giving them away at the moment!

Routy56

Routy56

I’ve got 2 years/44000 faultless miles on the new shape Navara, including a lot of heavy towing (3.5 tonne regularly). It does everything as far as I’m concerned - we even used it for a family ski holiday to the alps and back last year.
It is the best all-rounder on the market imo - if there was a better equivalent I’d buy it.
I think the big engined ranger (and possibly the Amarok too) are limited to 60mph on the motorway due to their unladen weight, the Hilux is underpowered and agricultural, and the L200 isn’t for me.
I know they have a bad name due to D40 chassis issues (Nissan bought faulty ones back at very favourable rates to their credit) but I ran 3 of those for a total of 200k miles and they were very good too in honesty (but weren’t old enough to show corrosion issues in my ownership).
I wouldn’t discount the Navara without trying one - they are practically giving them away at the moment!
Nice review material based on real experience (y)
All of what you say is what I’ve based my decision to buy a new NP300
For me a lifestyle decision - boss of my own business and granddad of a large family
Will be used to tow various plant trailers loaded up to 3500kg with equipment for use by the driver with 100km radius of here, move tools and equipment to/from site, daily driver for the boss and tow the caravan on occasions when we have holidays with grandchildren (2 at a time) :love:
So it had to have the comfort of coil spring rear suspension and decent specced kit for the passengers
Now collecting stuff to bolt on such at a nice Witter height adjustable towbar etc
Now gotta decide what load bed cover options to go for :cool:

Routy56

Routy56

The test drive impressed you then Dave (y)
Yes James - I’ll come over just after I get my hands on it
FYI Glyn Hopkin Colchester price matched the deal offered by your dealer :LOL:
Looks like I owe you a beer for the advice 🍻
Now they are still trying to sell me Supa Gard and GAP :rolleyes: - any views on that?

Routy56

Routy56

No idea but it's what they have in the manual
Thanks for the heads up on this. I’ll check the manual supplied when I pick up my Tekna in the very near future 👍🏻
Witter tow bar and kit arrived here yesterday 🙄

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Yes James - I’ll come over just after I get my hands on it
FYI Glyn Hopkin Colchester price matched the deal offered by your dealer :LOL:
Looks like I owe you a beer for the advice 🍻
Now they are still trying to sell me Supa Gard and GAP :rolleyes: - any views on that?
I’m impressed, I certainly couldn’t do any good with GH on a new one, found their Chelmsford branch very pushy and not willing to have a deal.

No views on the GAP really, although a mate of mine had it on an Audi he bought, which was stolen a couple of months after he bought it, and he was certainly glad of the GAP insurance then.