UK Pickups - reviews

Gunners

Gunners

All, I'm in the market for a new/ nearly new pickup and wondered what you guys run and what you do and don't like about them. Having researched extensively it seems there isn't a perfect one out there. As I see it:
Ranger - great truck but made by Ford. Keep hearing about engine oil pump failures?
Hilux - Used to be king but now has a 150hp engine that just isn't enough for towing?
Navara - Engine size is less than old truck and coil springs don't hold the weight well?
DMax - even smaller engine, the twin turbo was a great truck but can you really tow 3.5t day in day out with a 1.9?
L200 - don't really like the L200 but that's just personal preference, are they any good?

Should I stick with manuel for towing or can the autos do it in these modern trucks?
Anything else I should consider or am I being a tart? I currently use a 300tdi Defender and 22 years down the line its bound to have less than the 110hp it originally had and still does a good job. As for comfort levels it shouldn't be too hard to beat either!

Be interested to hear your thoughts.

C

cheggars

The newer Auto's are supposed to be the Nuts for towing, from what people tell me.

B

Brendan

Got a 3.2 auto ranger will not be going back to a manual.
On the rangers the oil pump issue seems to be the preface ones so anything between 2012-2016 but no definitive date as the oil pump had a few revisions. Fuel wise they are not the best but it's been the best tow vehicle I've owned by a long shot
Hilux were never really a tow vehicle and generally had the lowest tow ratings. Pre 2012 are rebadged Mazda's
No idea on the dmax although think @Grahams has one and a ranger.
Navara just looks wrong with any weight on the back
L200 only the 2018 can tow 3.5 and only when its a triaxle trailer otherwise it's 3.2 or 3.1? With a twin axle but it's not a patch on the ranger I had one for a couple of days as a courtesy vehicle it had some nice bits but nowhere near as complete as the ranger.
Amarok I'm sure has a 3.2t max tow and 3l V6 is the only one worth getting.
Latest ssangyong musso can tow 3.5t and carry a ton due to being the only pickup with a 7t gtw all the others you have to sacrifice payload to tow 3.5t also has the longest warranty. In my ranger I have to be near enough empty to do so.
Personally I hate defenders and would get shot of it as for some reason they are worth mega money so a change to a vehicle with creature comforts should be pretty reasonable moneywise. They do do a commercial version of the discovery and shogun

pettsy

pettsy

I have a 2.5tt DMax manual (not really an auto fan) but got given an auto one as a courtesy vehicle and have to say I f I could buy again I’d definitely choose an auto. Makes towing and manoeuvring trailer so much easier.

B

Brendan

Biggest issues with pickups beside the payload sacrifice is they are mostly part time 4x4 systems so only suitable for 4x4 in low traction situations. There are exceptions the 2006+ l200 warrior spec and above have super select so has ability for 4x4 full time. Amarok has a fulltime 4x4 automatic although has no low range but seems to cope. Think the latest Merc has ability too but would be mega money

S

Smiffy

Biggest issues with pickups beside the payload sacrifice is they are mostly part time 4x4 systems so only suitable for 4x4 in low traction situations. There are exceptions the 2006+ l200 warrior spec and above have super select so has ability for 4x4 full time. Amarok has a fulltime 4x4 automatic although has no low range but seems to cope. Think the latest Merc has ability too but would be mega money
The amorak has the choice of selectable 4x4 and lowrange or full time without now

The latest navaras have updated rear suspension as lot of complaints about being loaded it is also the cheapest main brand with the top one available from stock for between 18 and 20k

The ssangyong is very low and is also the only monocoque pickup so no flatbed or tipper if thats your intention

If you dont fancy a pickup the misibishi shogun sport toyota amazon and discovery are alll receently available as comercial spec with significant price drops over the suv spec ones

M

Monkeybusiness

I’ve got the new Navara (manual) and do a lot of heavy towing. It’s the best truck I’ve had to date, and kicks the arse out of my 64 plate defender 110 in every single way. I can’t comment on the autos though as haven’t driven one.

Antony Holmes

Antony Holmes

i have a 2015 d-max and do a lot of towing right up to the limit 3500kg.it has done 85k and may be 15-20k towing dose every thing i ask of it and not missed a beat.The new one is only 1.9 twin turbo but the same hp but the gears have been lowered to help with pull away, only had one on demo for a day and did not tow with it so cant comment on how good it is at towing

JD450A

JD450A

Wolf without teeth.
Izuzu with the 1.9 is the bollox. Paticularly with Auto box.

Two mates have them now. Both regularly tow 3.5t, and both expect there kit to perform flawlessly.... If I was to buy a truck i'd go direct to Izuzu without thinking.

WPD have had a few problems with there's. Namely clutches and manual gearboxes.... But I'm personally convinced this is due to them towing the larger (3.5-4t) generator sets and operators being rough IMHO.

Mintsauce

Mintsauce

Transit do an awd with standard ground clearance. I haven't been able to find out much on the Web regarding body types and towing capacity so far.

B

Brendan

Transit do an awd with standard ground clearance. I haven't been able to find out much on the Web regarding body types and towing capacity so far.
Transit custom does upto 2.8t if you go for the proper transit panel van and spec the 170 engine in longest wheelbase and highest roof there is an option to tow 3.5t it's the same with the chassis cab the longest wheelbase has a 3.5t tow option
There is also a 4.2t gvm transit that has a 3.5t tow but these are rare and to be honest a bit pointless as if your going to be above 3.5t and have all the hassle that comes with it you may aswell get a proper 7.5t wagon or bigger

Mintsauce

Mintsauce

I also forgot to mention the iveco daily 4x4 which I see occasionally. This looks like the standard daily on steroids and I would imagine a poor carrying capacity if in stock 3.5t so again you may have to look above 3.5t so off topic..?

S

Smiffy

I also forgot to mention the iveco daily 4x4 which I see occasionally. This looks like the standard daily on steroids and I would imagine a poor carrying capacity if in stock 3.5t so again you may have to look above 3.5t so off topic..?
The sprinter is becoming quite popular as a 4x4 around here and the 4x4 only adds something like 40kg

Big Jordy

Big Jordy

May as well add my two cents i have a 2016 l200 single cab regularly tow 3 ton and carry a ton legally. 2.4 engine in it 154bhp 6 speed manual.. granted i have added air suspension to the rear not fancy just two mini air bags that you air up with an airline no compressor on the l200 but believe you can add one. Got 40k on the clock and to be honest i think its a great wee wagon. Does bout 32- 36mpg no trailer on.. never really looked at mpg when towing haha. Oh and i put it on a set of bf tyres.. 4x4 works well can change on the fly up to.35mph between 4x2 and 4x4..

Jordan