UK Pickups - reviews

F

fred

How about 18 ton train weight on a car licence

img_0904.jpg

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
I run a 2018 invincible x hilux auto regularly pulling my ecr25 about.can fault it really.150hp is fine sticking to 40/50mph which is fast enough.if you boys had 300hp some of you would want 500.they are made to tow 3500 kg and the manufacturers know more than us lot do
Nick...
The trouble is they will tow 3500kg if rated to it, but don’t seem made to do it all the time. I like to tow at a steady 60 on the motorway. I consider going slower than lorries dangerous as asking to get punted in the rear. I also often have a long way to go so want to keep the average speed up. Current job is just over 1000 miles round trip. I had four new defenders over the years and had no end if issues. Now other pickups can legally tow the weight I’m have issues with my Ranger. Isuzu has been good apart from a couple of sensor failures, but I find it very uncomfortable.
Graham

F

fred

On grandfather rights you can tow 4.something if you have the post 97 trailer license its 3.5tonne only
That setup could be driven on a car license but no benefit over an ifor type trailer

no mate.

if you have B+E pre jan 13 there is no limit on tow weight, only limited by the vehicles plated train weight.

from gov website

Capture.JPG

S

Smiffy

no mate.

if you have B+E pre jan 13 there is no limit on tow weight, only limited by the vehicles plated train weight.

from gov website

View attachment 2944

Im sure there is something else somewhere limiting the train weight though to just over 8 tonnes
There was definitely something posted on i think it was the mig welding forum debunking these setups

Antony Holmes

Antony Holmes

Im sure there is something else somewhere limiting the train weight though to just over 8 tonnes
There was definitely something posted on i think it was the mig welding forum debunking these setups
i think the biggest problem is you have to do the hole operators licence thing once you go over 3500kg towing vehicle and a gross of 7500kg

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Is there not another consideration to make here. I'm sure the rules on commercial vehicles are max gross 3.5t then operators licences need applied for with the exception of vehicles for special purposes e.g. 4x4 or single purpose vehicle.
In my mind anyone using a standard commercial van and towing a trailer with a gross weight totaling over 3.5t without operators licence is in the wrong.
Do it with a 4x4 pickup or landy and you're OK ☺

B

Brendan

With the fifth wheels I'm sure your still limited to 7.5t although I think with a ranger sized pickup for can tow upto 4.5t as the weight is on the pickup rather than. The towbar.
I know alot of people rate the Hilux but I personally never found them to be a good tow vehicle

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
As soon as you step up beyond 3.5t gross and 7t train weight the game changes significantly and anyone who thinks a 7.5t truck is cheaper and easier than a pickup and trailer is either nieve or deluded.

Best advise for anyone looking at going down the O license route is to get the largest truck that will go into the smallest site you have... Ultimately i work my lorry to break even although this year its done well.

Mini artics are a nice idea and have lots of bedspace but ultimately can be a handful and a bit of a twat if you need to go somewhere tight.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Is there not another consideration to make here. I'm sure the rules on commercial vehicles are max gross 3.5t then operators licences need applied for with the exception of vehicles for special purposes e.g. 4x4 or single purpose vehicle.
In my mind anyone using a standard commercial van and towing a trailer with a gross weight totaling over 3.5t without operators licence is in the wrong.

There are derogations and exemptions. Fact is that a 4x4 single cab or a landy hi cap requires a tacho like a van.

Big can of worms.....

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
I read the rules last night about operators licence. You are right that towing with a van with a total train weight of over 3500kg needs an operators licence, but if that van is four wheel drive or has a crew cab you don’t need one, just a Tacho, same as towing with a 4x4 pickup. Who makes up this s**t? How does that make any sense.
Same as towing with a pickup. Must be a 4x4, but you don’t need to drive it in four wheel drive, so how is that any different than a two wheel drive pickup?
So this has further complicated my search for a reliable tow vehicle. I had great hopes for a van as they are made for work unlike a lot of pickups.
I want to keep it legal, but I wonder how many vans you see towing mini diggers have an O licence unless the are part of a bigger fleet that already has trucks? As it is the plated weight rather than the actual weight I would have thought most van combinations would be over 3500kg.
Graham

F

fred

I read the rules last night about operators licence. You are right that towing with a van with a total train weight of over 3500kg needs an operators licence, but if that van is four wheel drive or has a crew cab you don’t need one, just a Tacho, same as towing with a 4x4 pickup. Who makes up this s**t? How does that make any sense.
Same as towing with a pickup. Must be a 4x4, but you don’t need to drive it in four wheel drive, so how is that any different than a two wheel drive pickup?
So this has further complicated my search for a reliable tow vehicle. I had great hopes for a van as they are made for work unlike a lot of pickups.
I want to keep it legal, but I wonder how many vans you see towing mini diggers have an O licence unless the are part of a bigger fleet that already has trucks? As it is the plated weight rather than the actual weight I would have thought most van combinations would be over 3500kg.
Graham
not quite.

vans 3500KG or below dont need O licence.

trailer unladen weight 1020KG or less are exempt. Which is all plant trailers really.

Capture.JPG

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
As I read that, just about every van on the road towing, needs an O license and even some that aren't (towing) :rolleyes: if the gross plated weight infers GTW :unsure:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
As said before many times.... if in doubt ring office of the traffic commissioner, or email them..... Nae Bother!

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
As said before many times.... if in doubt ring office of the traffic commissioner, or email them..... Nae Bother!
that page is a huge can of worms Rory :oops::oops: ..... compounded by their mix of abbreviations/terms ... MAM / MGW / GTW / GPW ???? and just what they are trying to say there ?? :unsure: :oops: