Type 1

Stubota86

Stubota86

Sorry if daft question

I’ve always used MOT type 1 on paved driveways etc in the past but see a lot of people using crushed concrete round here.

Am I wasting money on the more expensive stuff?

cheers

J

Jimoz

Yes if you can get cheaper. Has to be a good supplier we have a good one local. I always use quarried/virgin under house slabs though not sure if nessecary

D

DaveDCB

Yes if you can get cheaper. Has to be a good supplier we have a good one local. I always use quarried/virgin under house slabs though not sure if nessecary
building controll always insist on virgin stone under dwellings. I find recycled type1 is only afew ££ cheaper so only buy limestone, saves on punctures if anything!!

B

Brendan

Depends where it comes from, alot of the crushed "concrete" round my way is s**t with a high soil content plus all the usual plastic, wood, metal, pieces of asbestos and what ever other crap bellends have tipped in the crushing pile. Also tends to have pieces to large for a Wacker so ideally needs a roller, then when it gets wet looks like mud.

Can also get a recycled type one round my way that comes out of a wash plant which tends to be 10-40mm mixed with "sharp sand" off another belt, all depends how it's mixed together but one issue is the moisture content from being washed so can bring water to the surface when Wacker although to be fair goes off solid when dries out.

Personally not enough of a saving for the hassle and haven't used any for a few years

Although do have 40t of crushed to use for a parking bay in a field next week so will see what sort of quality that is

Last edited:
S

Smiffy

Day aggregates do a range of recycled materials varying in quality
Some have a higher soil content some have plannings in
All different prices and characteristics

doobin

doobin

If you need to carry a heavy load, or a normal load on a very wet area, then crushed concrete is useful, but always easiest to blind it with a layer of type 1 after that.

T whiting

T whiting

Clean crushed concrete is some of the best stone but a lot of the recycled stuff is just crushed clay and pretty horrible though there are a couple of places round here that make nice crushed recycled type 1

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

As others have said. I have one source that only has clean concrete through his crusher, another that is a bit hit and miss with the odd bit of plastic or other skip debris, the cheapest, he has his crusher at 100mm so if we are short of bricks we can usually find some in his “100mm down recycled “.

Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
My landlord got some Crushed a few months ago.
It was 40 percent crushed 40 percent mud 20 percent somthing else laid and rollled it was really mainly mud / soil.

GazCro

GazCro

Biggest thing with crushed hardcore other than amount of sh##e in it as already mentioned is size. Most people running crushers don't like running them below about 80mm so not only do you get a heap of big lumps you don't get much fine stuff so it doesn't bind when you compact it so it's only any good for bulk fill. If you can get it crushed 40mm down you can get some really useful hardcore tho i would still top with type 1 if driving on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20191115_083307.jpg
    IMG_20191115_083307.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 120
S

Smiffy

My landlord got some Crushed a few months ago.
It was 40 percent crushed 40 percent mud 20 percent somthing else laid and rollled it was really mainly mud / soil.

I once got sent to pickup hardcore
A few hundred tonnes and as the day went on the clumps of clay got more and more frequent until a lorry load that was clay and logs
It didn't go down very well when it came out the back the lorry Infront of the boss

R

Russell

Ditto very useful info. I've not used it myself (only used type 1) but there does seam to be a lot of soil in the pile where I tip hardcore (not from me).

B

Brendan

Ditto very useful info. I've not used it myself (only used type 1) but there does seam to be a lot of soil in the pile where I tip hardcore (not from me).
That's always the issue the times guys I work for or when I bring in hardcore it's always near enough fully clean hardcore, then when you pull up at the pile it's like a 50/50 ratio 🤔

J

Jimoz

Different piles where I tip. Guy looks at your load. You then either tip in the clean pile or other pile which assume is for lower quality. Also they receive all waste products from a concrete pipe maker then do them a 10mm clean out of this and also use for the type 1. Just got to watch for punctures as said above.