Torque wrench recommendations

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
I took a whole set of Halfords Advanced ratchet spanners back. Three were bent and all ratchet mechanisms felt considerably rougher than the advertised tooth count. A set of eBay specials at a third of the price were much better quality, which I took with me to prove the point when returning them.
I'll say it again...for the money Bergen/US Pro from eBay take some beating.
My boss used to laugh as i had all mine in my snapon rollcab but nothing snapon inside...it's not a incubator lad...you won't suddenly come one morning and find it's all turned to snapon.
 
jd6820

jd6820

Well-known member
Norbar and Snap-on are both good brands with quite different price tags. Have both and no complaints, have used the Halfords and they seem good too. But one of the first two would be my choice.
 
A

AHPP

Well-known member
I took a whole set of Halfords Advanced ratchet spanners back. Three were bent and all ratchet mechanisms felt considerably rougher than the advertised tooth count. A set of eBay specials at a third of the price were much better quality, which I took with me to prove the point when returning them.
I keep getting adverts pushed at me for the set of 8-24mm flexible ratchet spanners. £80.99? £81.99? I'd have preferred to have stiff but ratcheting spanners in my 175 piece case like my mates have but that's (partially) my fault for not buying sooner.

My ratchets are advertised as being some fine tooth count (72 or 100?). They feel like about 20.

What Halfords does do though is stay open until 20:00 on weekday evenings and some vaguely reasonable time at the weekend. That was worth it to me.
 
A

AHPP

Well-known member
Fully agree with that, although 99% of mine are from tool stalls at shows 👍
Either that or bahco on ridiculous offers 😃
The little Bahco sets are delightful. My mate has a set I swear he keeps under his pillow, he guards it so closely. I borrowed a little micro ratchet and an 8mm from a plumber to reattach a chainsaw muffler the other week. Honestly tiny set. Literally pocket sized. Lovely thing.

What a great present for a young man. Make them paint/etch their name on it. Something for life.
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
The little Bahco sets are delightful. My mate has a set I swear he keeps under his pillow, he guards it so closely. I borrowed a little micro ratchet and an 8mm from a plumber to reattach a chainsaw muffler the other week. Honestly tiny set. Literally pocket sized. Lovely thing.

What a great present for a young man. Make them paint/etch their name on it. Something for life.
Best tenner you'll spend trust me...

Also had this for years ..
Incidentally Halfords seem cheap for these as well...

But my favourite...
Bought it ten years ago ..can't think of amount of times it got me out the poo...having virtually everything on there for general jobbing on trucks etc.;
 
A

AHPP

Well-known member
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Bugger. I've just been in a Halfords. I'd have bought a couple of those little ones. The peril of a rushy morning instead of playing on my phone over coffee...

Tree people will note the lack of T27 in either of them btw. That's Stihl chainsaw size.
Yes...but then again L&S and have the proper long shaft T handle torx wrenchs for a few quid.
 
B

Brendan

Well-known member
I keep getting adverts pushed at me for the set of 8-24mm flexible ratchet spanners. £80.99? £81.99? I'd have preferred to have stiff but ratcheting spanners in my 175 piece case like my mates have but that's (partially) my fault for not buying sooner.

My ratchets are advertised as being some fine tooth count (72 or 100?). They feel like about 20.

What Halfords does do though is stay open until 20:00 on weekday evenings and some vaguely reasonable time at the weekend. That was worth it to me.
I have no issues with the Halfords stuff, prices are generally reasonable and lots of stores, not had anything break for a while but was always easy enough to go in and get warranty replacements
 
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
Best tenner you'll spend trust me...

Also had this for years ..
Incidentally Halfords seem cheap for these as well...

But my favourite...
Bought it ten years ago ..can't think of amount of times it got me out the poo...having virtually everything on there for general jobbing on trucks etc.;
yeah love these, bought them for the lads for xmas presents as well always so handy to have got the next one up as well

this one


I keep this one in airing cupboard upstairs when I can't be bothered to go to the garage or truck

 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Those bahco 1/4 sets are good I have 3 dotted around. They do a slightly bigger 1/4 set that I would like with a few more bits in.

Bahco are owned by snapon and do so ratchets fitted with the same gearing as the snapon dual 80. I got a complete 3/8 set of sockets extensions and ratchet for 50 quid, and must admit, however anti snapon I tend to be it is a lovely ratchet and the one I always choose. Just checked and it's 80 quid for just the ratchet now.

I have a few Halfords things but tbh I always feel a little disappointed with them. Not due to quality but everything I have used of theirs seems slightly unergonomic. And they must be one of the few companies still using sockets that drive on the tip. About time they did 6 sided sockets
 
William127

William127

Well-known member
Those bahco 1/4 sets are good I have 3 dotted around. They do a slightly bigger 1/4 set that I would like with a few more bits in.

Bahco are owned by snapon and do so ratchets fitted with the same gearing as the snapon dual 80. I got a complete 3/8 set of sockets extensions and ratchet for 50 quid, and must admit, however anti snapon I tend to be it is a lovely ratchet and the one I always choose. Just checked and it's 80 quid for just the ratchet now.
The bahco 1/4 sets are just one of those essential things that once you've had one you can't be without, cheap enough to have multiples of too if needed.
I've got a Beta 1/2 ratchet was 40 quid 15 years ago, fantastic quality and great to use but it hardly ever gets used now as the bahco ones in the sets are bombproof!
Not got much Halfords stuff, a couple of biggish spanners which are top quality and not expensive with a trade card and a 1/2 multipoint socket, which is essential for my LR brake calipers, used it this evening 👍
 
Top