Tipping trailer - replacement hydraulic oil tank

Routy56

Routy56

Guys we have a nice Indespension Tipping Trailer which we have owned new in 2006

It is fitted with the usual 12v Stone SPX hydraulic power pack :cool:
However, the top of the oil tank now has a split which I guess is age related and probably caused by naughty grandchildren climbing on it :rolleyes:
IMG_0414.jpeg

Searching on Google yesterday I found that Graham Edwards Trailers stock these items n their web site:
So a few clicks later I bought one as a quick solution to the problems at the price of £71.99 including delivery :eek:
It turned up today and is obviously secondhand:
IMG_0419.jpeg

It is obviously a used unit with traces of hydraulic oil all over it and even the date stamp is 12/06 😡
IMG_0423.jpeg

So I immediately wrote them a nice polite email asking them to look into what went wrong after ordering a new tank.
I even offered to buy it at a much reduced rate second-hand unit......

The Parts Manager has just written back:
"Yes the tanks are taken off of new units and delivered to us for spares. For this reason we can guarantee you this tank has not been used.
The marks are from storage and from being passed down the supply chain from America to our factory. The oil residue is from the powerpack unit itself.
If you are unhappy with the product we are more then happy to offer a full refund upon its return."

WTF - life is too short for this malarky 🤬

So, my question to you guys is:
1. Where can I get a replacement Stone SPX Hydraulic Oil Tank?
2. What would you do?

K

Komatsu

Could you contact Stone direct and ask them for one??..... in-closing pictures as well.... the Americans as usually top of there game when it comes to customer service, think they’d be a few questions asked if they knew something like that was been sent out.

Routy56

Routy56

Could you contact Stone direct and ask them for one??..... in-closing pictures as well.... the Americans as usually top of there game when it comes to customer service, think they’d be a few questions asked if they knew something like that was been sent out.
Think I'll be doing that.....
......checking on the Stone USA web site (AKA SPX Flow) they have 2 dealers in the UK
This dealer has a suitable new one for a lot less money :rolleyes:
Only £38.64 compared with £71.99 for a second hand unit :D
And this unit is slightly deeper and gives an extra 2 litres.
The main thing is that the length will fit my brackets without too much faffing around 🤓

K

Komatsu

Think I'll be doing that.....
......checking on the Stone USA web site (AKA SPX Flow) they have 2 dealers in the UK
This dealer has a suitable new one for a lot less money :rolleyes:
Only £38.64 compared with £71.99 for a second hand unit :D
And this unit is slightly deeper and gives an extra 2 litres.
The main thing is that the length will fit my brackets without too much faffing around 🤓
That’ll be because one is made SGS and the other by Stone themselves?

Routy56

Routy56

Raise a case with trading standards IMHO. False advertising.

If I was to return that i'd be doing so with it full of sand through there window.
Yes I agree with that. I'll see how I get on with them tomorrow.
Gonna sleep on it then go back with my full range of options.
It's not the cost, it's the principle that matters to me :oops:
No sorry or kiss my arse....
.....so my options are as you say:
1. Trading Standards
2. TrustPilot
3. PayPal - lucky I used PayPoo to send the dosh
4. Rogue Traders
5. Watchdog
etc etc etc :ROFLMAO:

Routy56

Routy56

That’ll be because one is made SGS and the other by Stone themselves?
Good point, well made - however, their web site says that the brand is SPX.
So maybe I'll give them a bell tomorrow before ordering :cool:
Now my keyboard is covered in effing hydraulic oil :ROFLMAO:

Routy56

Routy56

Update on his simple repair job :cool:
Got a full refund via payPal for the replacement tank ordered from Graham Edwards Trailers.
No apology for sent out a used old stock unit taken from a unit in the States (see above rant) 🤬
Ordered a brand new one from these guys https://www.sgs-engineering.com/kr56-9-5-litre-plastic-pick-a-pack-reservoir
Have used them before, great service and value. Arrived a few days later 😀
So yesterday, we had a workshop day and it got fitted with no problems:

IMG_1101.jpeg

Old tank with the cracks in the top

IMG_1103.jpeg

Small fixing bolts. Lower ones difficult to get to in position......

IMG_1106.jpeg

......so unit pulled off and stripped on the bench. Have a look at the sludge inside. How often are you supposed to change the oil 😱

IMG_1108.jpeg

New tank from SGS comes with all the fittings and instructions which were not even looked at 😅

IMG_1109.jpeg

New tank fitted and filled with fresh hydraulic oil. Job done (y)

Now gonna think about fabricating a protection plate or similar to go over the top.
Will protect from aggregate loaders and the grandchildren :rolleyes:

Any ideas? Show me yours :p