The 'Today's Job' thread

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

The Sumitomo joint venture ended in 1998 I believe. So I can’t see how it’s a Sumitomo machine.
No it was definitely way later than that. My cx130 is a 2002 . Scot JCB had a brilliant parts guy Phil (sadly deceased) who found the identical js130 and gave me the serial number of it so I could order parts from them for my case . It worked a treat !
I can’t be sure on this but if it’s got an Isuzu then i think it’s a sumitomo. I think when jcb started developing the js on their own they put a Perkins in it. I could be wrong though

Vinpetrol

Vinpetrol

The Sumitomo joint venture ended in 1998 I believe. So I can’t see how it’s a Sumitomo machine.
I just looked into this and I think your right .
Seems strange though that they looked so similar and used the same engines and pumps etc . Could jcb of been building them themselves under licence?

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

I just looked into this and I think your right .
Seems strange though that they looked so similar and used the same engines and pumps etc . Could jcb of been building them themselves under licence?
Well even the so called Sumitomo machines I’m sure were built in Uttoxeter. They may have been virtually badge engineered Sumitomo machines though? But I’m sure I remember back in the day, they used to say that you could tell a Sumitomo built machine and a JCB built machine apart, due to the paint (cue the comments on JCB paint! Even though I think the machines in the 90’s were still painted using proper paints and processes), but it was the shade of yellow used, imported machines were clear to see apparently.
After the joint venture ended its no surprise JCB continued using quality components, is it? Using Kawasaki pumps, Izuzu engines, Toshiba slew motors, Rexroth hydraulic components etc etc, all good quality components that are also found on other brands machines of the same era and some still to this day.

My particular JS, might be an anomaly, but I can’t really fault it. It’s full of the above mentioned components, even the cylinders are Made in Japan, I’ve no idea if jCB were buying the cylinders from Sumitomo or a similar company, but I assume at this point JCBs own cylinder production line wasn’t in full swing? Who knows? But as far as I can see it’s a well put together machine with good components that drives very nicely. I won’t try and defend the paint, it’s shite and very disappointing. But it’s really the only criticism I have of it. If I found another one in the same condition I’d not hesitate to buy it if I wanted one.
Did they loose their way in the years after mine was built? Possibly? Have they taken a step forward with the X series machines? Yes in many ways. But in a lot of ways it’s not so much the quality of the lumps of metal in them, as it used to be, but the quality of the software knitting it all together!

Last edited:
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

What did I just do...🙄 All good feedback. Staggered how fast some machines are selling atm😳

Furniss

Furniss

These look a bit tasty should look stunning if laid right- reclaimed from Normandy somewhere - glad im not putting them down though.
20210331_101720.jpg
20210331_101718.jpg