The 'Today's Job' thread

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
I’ve got around 120 hours under my belt now.

This grab is lovely. Makes this so easy. A touch ‘front heavy’ which could be rectified with rear counterweights- although I’ve shied away from them so far as it’s always felt too ‘rear heavy’. This extra front weight makes it easier to do things like climb the bund, and it’s doing an absoloutely lovely job of forming that at the same time.

However, I have forced myself to dial the revs back to 3/4 as ten litres an hour consumption was making me wince.

It’s a much better way of doing this than two blokes with a dumper and 8 tonner. Bund is formed at the same time and the area is left much more level than you can get it with a 360 too. View attachment 85080View attachment 85081View attachment 85082
All you need now is a container castle 😎
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
I’ve got around 120 hours under my belt now.

This grab is lovely. Makes this so easy. A touch ‘front heavy’ which could be rectified with rear counterweights- although I’ve shied away from them so far as it’s always felt too ‘rear heavy’. This extra front weight makes it easier to do things like climb the bund, and it’s doing an absoloutely lovely job of forming that at the same time.

However, I have forced myself to dial the revs back to 3/4 as ten litres an hour consumption was making me wince.
That’s scary. I’ve never put more than about 12 an hour through a 299, and only 30 an hour through a 963, and that’s constant high load work during test. Interesting that the T86 we’ve had needs full coal or it’s quite ponderous, where a Cat is far better at 2/3rds revs.
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
That’s scary. I’ve never put more than about 12 an hour through a 299, and only 30 an hour through a 963, and that’s constant high load work during test. Interesting that the T86 we’ve had needs full coal or it’s quite ponderous, where a Cat is far better at 2/3rds revs.
I was going by glancing at the instant consumption to be fair. I reset the job clock and for the last hour I was averaging 7 litres per hour. Remember it’s tracking backward up quite a steep bank (often back dragging) and then pushing stripping the rhizome going forward. It is fairly constant high load work- you’re also driving up the bund to tip.

That was at around 2200 revs, flat out is 2600. I reckon you’d average at least 9 litres an hour then. You need to have the turbo spooled up I find, otherwise it’s just dead.

Even if a larger machine is more economical for its size, this is worth it for towability. It’s pushing a 180cm bucket here.
 
Last edited:
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
So it would appear that through silting etc the stream had shifted and was hitting the right bank causing the water to then rebound and strike the bad area at like 65 degree and vortex ing which has pulled out a number of stones and caused the arch to sag!

We’ve re directed flow built a big mass wall to stop that so Now the water should flow through nicely and not be so damaging

To repair them well mini acrows, hydraulic jacking ram porta power stone wedges and a dam awkwardly uncomfortable day for a 6’ 19 stone guy under a tiny bridge haha.

Ram is a nice bit of ex fire brigade stuff interlocks together and can be locked off or adjusted etc various bits added to it

Taking micro tomorrow strip off bridge covering then we’ll blow/wash it out and slurry the stone arch with a strong c40 10mm-dust mix filling all voids and in theory that should stop the arch falling anymore as the stones can’t push through if no voids!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7779.jpeg
    IMG_7779.jpeg
    402.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8061.jpeg
    IMG_8061.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8078.jpeg
    IMG_8078.jpeg
    360.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8081.jpeg
    IMG_8081.jpeg
    400 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8090.jpeg
    IMG_8090.jpeg
    356.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_8119.png
    IMG_8119.png
    454.7 KB · Views: 78
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
So it would appear that through silting etc the stream had shifted and was hitting the right bank causing the water to then rebound and strike the bad area at like 65 degree and vortex ing which has pulled out a number of stones and caused the arch to sag!

We’ve re directed flow built a big mass wall to stop that so Now the water should flow through nicely and not be so damaging

To repair them well mini acrows, hydraulic jacking ram porta power stone wedges and a dam awkwardly uncomfortable day for a 6’ 19 stone guy under a tiny bridge haha.

Ram is a nice bit of ex fire brigade stuff interlocks together and can be locked off or adjusted etc various bits added to it

Taking micro tomorrow strip off bridge covering then we’ll blow/wash it out and slurry the stone arch with a strong c40 10mm-dust mix filling all voids and in theory that should stop the arch falling anymore as the stones can’t push through if no voids!
Interesting job, Giles, and well done.
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
I was going by glancing at the instant consumption to be fair. I reset the job clock and for the last hour I was averaging 7 litres per hour. Remember it’s tracking backward up quite a steep bank (often back dragging) and then pushing stripping the rhizome going forward. It is fairly constant high load work- you’re also driving up the bund to tip.

That was at around 2200 revs, flat out is 2600. I reckon you’d average at least 9 litres an hour then. You need to have the turbo spooled up I find, otherwise it’s just dead.

Even if a larger machine is more economical for its size, this is worth it for towability. It’s pushing a 180cm bucket here.
7 sounds more like it. All of these CTL’s seem to be thirsty, whatever make. Cat 239 and 249’s are closest to your machine in size, about 3300 and 3600kg, so possibly a touch heavier? And both rev to 2600. I only run them flat out on test, any other work it’s around 2000 or you need ear defenders.

Also interesting that in another post that you picked up on the balance. On their wheeled skiddies Bobcat aim for 30/70% f/r balance empty, and 50/50 with a full bucket, sounds like they’ve gone the same way with your 450.

TBH the T86 seems as well balanced as the bigger Cats, including sideways. I did run it with one of my extended buckets today and it was happy enough. Cat wheeled SSL’s are about 40/60 empty and closer to 60/40 loaded which gives a far different feel to Bobcats.

That’s doing well with a 180 bucket.
 
Last edited:
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
Some other pics was bad to start with but got it back to something like, stripping off bridge soil/stone covering tomorrow and then we’ll clean out and blow/wash the voids and then slurry with c40 10mm-dust to fill all voids and lock it in.

Hot one today in waders

Place is well known local swimming spot where we are working could have done with dip today was 25 degrees. First job with bikini clad young ladies walking through the site haha
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8126.png
    IMG_8126.png
    547.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8125.png
    IMG_8125.png
    958.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8124.png
    IMG_8124.png
    895.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8123.png
    IMG_8123.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8122.png
    IMG_8122.png
    731.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8121.png
    IMG_8121.png
    927 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8120.png
    IMG_8120.png
    890.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8127.png
    IMG_8127.png
    1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8128.png
    IMG_8128.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8129.png
    IMG_8129.png
    958.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_8130.png
    IMG_8130.png
    976.3 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8131.png
    IMG_8131.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
Giles

Giles

Well-known member
I was caked in mud and we are ethical non discrimination contractors haha and I’d left phone in digger so didn’t loose it in the ooze but found this on insta from the same place lol



 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
I was caked in mud and we are ethical non discrimination contractors haha and I’d left phone in digger so didn’t loose it in the ooze but found this on insta from the same place lol



Some fat cows in that 2nd video
 
Top