The best loopholes for using dads tractor as a lorry. DVSA please don't look in here.

D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
I ran a unimog u1700 but with a 210 hp motor, on red, agri tax, agri insurance the lot (over 20 years ago now) and can assure you the best thing I did was get a lorry on the road, as if I tried to run the mog as commercial it would of been way to expensive 5 mpg, Tyre at £450 a corner that wore out for fun, plus slow even though she would do 50 mph on it’s own but any thing in tow 😢😢 forget it
But I’m spoiled now 620hp makes pulling a bit easier😂
Do you know the fella around my way with the orange mog and trailer? He’s out on it 6days a week, must be drinking some juice on it!
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Do you know the fella around my way with the orange mog and trailer? He’s out on it 6days a week, must be drinking some juice on it!
Yes done a bit of haulage for him😉 has a midi on the trailer usually
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
if he can't sustain 25mph he does
Agri tractors and mobile plant require beacons on unrestricted dual carriageways regardless of speed achievable..... Had this argument before R.E a road sweeper on plant reg.
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Yes done a bit of haulage for him😉 has a midi on the trailer usually
Yep, got a new hitachi recently, got a fair array of kit! I think it may be him with some lovely vintage tractors too!
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
does an Ag registered telehandler tugging a trailer count as legal
As your accountant, he seems to be up to speed on whats legal 😆
Seriously though, it can be legal if you are using it for the right purpose on the right colour diesel within its designed parameters. Those Ag telehandlers are some weapon and have air brakes etc. Ive seen plenty towing bale trailers loaded right up and to be honest, its a decent setup
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
As your accountant, he seems to be up to speed on whats legal 😆
Seriously though, it can be legal if you are using it for the right purpose on the right colour diesel within its designed parameters. Those Ag telehandlers are some weapon and have air brakes etc. Ive seen plenty towing bale trailers loaded right up and to be honest, its a decent setup
I'm fairly sure ag handlers and trailers are another can of worms altogether. The only ag machines allowed to tow trailers carrying something which is not part of that machine (ie not combine and header trailer for example) are tractors and to be defined as a tractor they must have 3 point linkage. Very few ag handlers have 3 point linkage. I'm not 100% on this but I know there is something about it.
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
I'm fairly sure ag handlers and trailers are another can of worms altogether. The only ag machines allowed to tow trailers carrying something which is not part of that machine (ie not combine and header trailer for example) are tractors and to be defined as a tractor they must have 3 point linkage. Very few ag handlers have 3 point linkage. I'm not 100% on this but I know there is something about it.

They did change the rules a few years ago but can't remember exactly what it is.
I know some pivot steer telehandlers where not allowed to tow I don't know if that's changed but I think rigid ones can just not much or maybe it's only empty trailers or something. It gets really complicated when they start having 4 different classes of agricultural machinery
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
Ahh now Ive got your attention you havent replied to my CIS fine appeals
They were probably going to ask you into the office for a civilised chat until they realised that they didn't actually know which tax haven their office appears to be situated in 😁
 
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
does an Ag registered telehandler tugging a trailer count as legal
CA1F86E4-F574-4FD1-8013-20DC674589CD.jpeg

Yes.
 
Top