The best loopholes for using dads tractor as a lorry. DVSA please don't look in here.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I'd be surprised if anyone ran a tractor and trailer legitimately in place of a lorry as would expect by the time you've spent 50-60k on a half decent tractor and lowloader setup the lorry is going to be more economical to buy and run
doubtful and no rules to comply with Vin ... or tax, plating, op. license, driving license, 6 weeklies, fuel duty, tacho ......etc.
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Technically no, classed as agricultural maintenance in the very grey area it is.
If you tick the boxes and it’s all legit I see no reason why you cannot use tractors etc? I do loads of farm maintenance work, don’t see why it should be frowned upon if everything is done correctly!
I have a huge hate seeing equipment incorrectly secured during transport - regardless of what sector it is in!
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
If you tick the boxes and it’s all legit I see no reason why you cannot use tractors etc? I do loads of farm maintenance work, don’t see why it should be frowned upon if everything is done correctly!
I have a huge hate seeing equipment incorrectly secured during transport - regardless of what sector it is in!
and THAT is the problem Dave ... 99% of the time it ain't
 
J

Justme

Well-known member
It does provided it's agricultural.
As I said it does not cover ALL use.

It only covers Agri Forestry & fishery.

Most people claiming to be Agri are not actually Agri.

All other use needs C or CE if towing.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
And horticultural, and moving tractors unladen between places of purchase sale or repair, and SDP use.....

The CE license requirements are solely in respect to tractors utilised for haulage.

A B license would cover you for a tractor utilized as a specialist vehicle (works truck/industrial tractor) but operator would need to be 18 if under 7.5t or 21 if over. Obviously with the above distance limits apply.

It's a very overcomplicated worm can..... When they are used as lorries it gets more confusing
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
I ran a unimog u1700 but with a 210 hp motor, on red, agri tax, agri insurance the lot (over 20 years ago now) and can assure you the best thing I did was get a lorry on the road, as if I tried to run the mog as commercial it would of been way to expensive 5 mpg, Tyre at £450 a corner that wore out for fun, plus slow even though she would do 50 mph on it’s own but any thing in tow 😢😢 forget it
But I’m spoiled now 620hp makes pulling a bit easier😂
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
As I said it does not cover ALL use.

It only covers Agri Forestry & fishery.

Most people claiming to be Agri are not actually Agri.

All other use needs C or CE if towing.

I think saying most people claiming to be agri arnt is a step to far.
It is a minority that do it wrong.
It's just that they have big flashy kit that draws attention to those in the know.
Whilst I can think of maybe 20 round here abusing the rules there a couple of thousand agri tractors being used as they where intended.
There are 5 or 6 tractors pulling 13t excavators around perfectly legally on agri exemption purely for loading muck spreaders. Even one firm towing an excavator with a terratrac.

It is just the minority of agri tangs that cause the majority of the problems.
And I do find it bizarre how they stick the company name down the side of the tractor and videos all over Facebook.

I also find it weird that you would bother with a tractor and trailer when there are so many low loader firms moving machinery for peanuts.
 
Top