Tesla Truck

F

fred

double packs wont happen, too expensive and too much hassle. Long term sites where will be working for months will have a temp 3 phase supply its not much dearer than single phase to enable rapid charging at dinnertime and overnight. In fact all new builds now have to have a 3-phase supply anyway even if you only use a single phase. Short term less than a month will get an exemption for normal diesel machine.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
double packs wont happen, too expensive and too much hassle. Long term sites where will be working for months will have a temp 3 phase supply its not much dearer than single phase to enable rapid charging at dinnertime and overnight. In fact all new builds now have to have a 3-phase supply anyway even if you only use a single phase. Short term less than a month will get an exemption for normal diesel machine.
well that's good news ... can you get it installed for use as a full 3ph supply like the French or compelled to drop back to single at the dwelling ??

GazCro

GazCro

Still only putting in single phase supplies to new builds round here

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Got caught out a week ago and had to change the built in meter box for a 3 phase box on a new connection. Just had enough room between a door and window to get the new one in!!

V8Druid

V8Druid

Got caught out a week ago and had to change the built in meter box for a 3 phase box on a new connection. Just had enough room between a door and window to get the new one in!!
interesting .. so was the house wired for 3ph ... i.e. .. did it have any 3 ph sockets/connections available after the meter or just single splits?
actually having it at the meter is a huge step forward
I've already said that although I have three 11kv lines crossing my property, getting access to it is a ridiculous price :mad:

Randla

Randla

Interloper
interesting .. so was the house wired for 3ph ... i.e. .. did it have any 3 ph sockets/connections available after the meter or just single splits?
I've already said that although I have three 11kv lines crossing my property, getting access to it is a ridiculous price :mad:
Are you sure, Graham? I got Western Power to bury a line that was obstructing a view and put in a second feed for a new garage/workshop. I had to dig and backfill the trenches but they only charged for the legals and the second feed (around £1500 IIRC) and I could have had 3ph for around double that. Kicking mysef that I didn't go for it.

M

Monkeybusiness

Are any of the poles on your land Graham, and if so do the DNO have a Wayleave or easement? Do you receive annual payments from the DNO (however paltry)? I’d imagine you could put a bit of pressure on them to remove their apparatus from your land unless they see fit to suitably recompense you.
(You have a young granddaughter with a passion for kite flying for one thing....)

V8Druid

V8Druid

Are you sure, Graham? I got Western Power to bury a line that was obstructing a view and put in a second feed for a new garage/workshop. I had to dig and backfill the trenches but they only charged for the legals and the second feed (around £1500 IIRC) and I could have had 3ph for around double that. Kicking mysef that I didn't go for it.
oh yes Robert ..... cira £30K, with me doing the donkey .... I mentioned this somewhere else here recently new tranny needed .... only 1ph and feeds three properties currently and a long run to get it where I'd want it .....
I'm amazed you managed to get 'em to bury a line 'cos it was in a view :oops::oops:
Are any of the poles on your land Graham, and if so do the DNO have a Wayleave or easement? Do you receive annual payments from the DNO (however paltry)? I’d imagine you could put a bit of pressure on them to remove their apparatus from your land unless they see fit to suitably recompense you.
(You have a young granddaughter with a passion for kite flying for one thing....)

no, got no wayleave and have a pole which again was replaced recently ... I put pix up, again recently somewhere and also said that for the cost I could burn a looooooooorra cherry in me genny ....... post #3,936

Randla

Randla

Interloper
oh yes Robert ..... cira £30K, with me doing the donkey .... I mentioned this somewhere else here recently new tranny needed .... only 1ph and feeds three properties currently and a long run to get it where I'd want it .....
I'm amazed you managed to get 'em to bury a line 'cos it was in a view :oops::oops:
We have three wayleaves and two distribution poles (don't get paid for the latter) and the offending one was at an angle and had a funny bit of kit on it which 20100107 010.jpg
needed replacing with something more modern. I asked, half in jest, if they'd bury the line in exchange for putting up something somewhere else and they said yes.IMG_20210324_120313.jpg
You can just see the new pole to the left of the Oak. I've planted some poplars in front of it which are coming along nicely....

CPS

CPS

no, got no wayleave and have a pole which again was replaced recently ... I put pix up, again recently somewhere and also said that for the cost I could burn a looooooooorra cherry in me genny ....... post #3,936
He means it was to close to his helipad and he threatened to catch it a few times😄

M

Monkeybusiness

If there are no wayleave agreements then just tell them you want their apparatus removing from your land. They will have a wayleaves officer (who will be the most charming individual you’ll ever meet) who will come and see you - they have the power to keep you happy!
Randla, that’s an auto-recloser - it detects faults in the line and tries to turn the power back on a number of times before switching it out altogether (as opposed to a fuse, that blows even if the fault has cleared eg a bird strike or branch touching two phases in the wind).

Randla

Randla

Interloper
If there are no wayleave agreements then just tell them you want their apparatus removing from your land. They will have a wayleaves officer (who will be the most charming individual you’ll ever meet) who will come and see you - they have the power to keep you happy!
Randla, that’s an auto-recloser - it detects faults in the line and tries to turn the power back on a number of times before switching it out altogether (as opposed to a fuse, that blows even if the fault has cleared eg a bird strike or branch touching two phases in the wind).
I'll endorse the comment about the Wayleaves Officer - couldn't have been more helpful. As @Monkeybusiness says, it's worth a shot if you've got something to negotiate with.

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
I have a large cable under my yard that I knew was there and when asking for a 3 phase connection told them I was building a shed and there cable would need to move (It feeds a transformer pole next door) but if they looked after me😉 I would build my shed a few meters forward and leave a strip of yard with nothing on

Result 3 phase with 100 amp per phase £650+ VAT👍😄

V8Druid

V8Druid

I think you wont get wayleave if the pole is supplying your property.
was my thoughts too .... it doesn't really affect us TBH .... but the two neighbours are also off it, so in reality I may have some leverage if I needed it.
They're always very good with me though, so I let sleeping dogs doze ... if we have a power cut and it's likely to last more than an hour they have a genny here and connected to the house within that hour ... fridge full of expensive drugs and on their list.

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

The house is wired for single phase and will have a single phase meter fitted. The bigger box is required as they have 4 terminal blocks in the box for the 3 phases and one neutral.

V8Druid

V8Druid

The house is wired for single phase and will have a single phase meter fitted. The bigger box is required as they have 4 terminal blocks in the box for the 3 phases and one neutral.
but no 3ph meter :( .... if it were my property I'd be insisting on the 3ph connection being fully installed including the meter .... future proofing

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

but no 3ph meter :( .... if it were my property I'd be insisting on the 3ph connection being fully installed including the meter .... future proofing
I guess that will be coming!! But for now single phase it will be!!

F

fred

when we get the initial connections done for the builds they ask us single phase or 3-phase meter ? The lines are 3 phase anyway as 100amp circuits arent enough for Air source heat pump, 15kw, immersions (can be upto 3 x 6kw), electric car charger 32amp circuit, all cooking electric another 32amp circuit, electric showers (can be 3). If all that happens to occur at the same time pop goes the weasel.

Now compare that to a gas house you only have the car charger extra to contend with so 100am normal single phase is fine.

The other factor is how far you are from the point of connection, if its more than 25m then the price skyrockets for the cable as the sizer they have to use increases massively do the internal resistance.

Can see why they are mandating 3-phase on all new builds, Western Power is at least.

Last edited:
GazCro

GazCro

when we get the initial connections done for the builds they ask us single phase or 3-phase meter ? The lines are 3 phase anyway as 100amp circuits arent enough for Air source heat pump, 15kw, immersions (can be upto 3 x 6kw), electric car charger 32amp circuit, all cooking electric another 32amp circuit, electric showers (can be 3). If all that happens to occur at the same time pop goes the weasel.

Now compare that to a gas house you only have the car charger extra to contend with so 100am normal single phase is fine.

The other factor is how far you are from the point of connection, if its more than 25m then the price skyrockets for the cable as the sizer they have to use increases massively do the internal resistance.

Can see why they are mandating 3-phase on all new builds, Western Power is at least.
Not happening like that round here for whatever reason but it mashes sense. I do wonder if some elec companies are holding on for govt to pay them to upgrade supplies rather than getting ahead of the game.