Tesla Truck

S

Smiffy

Not true

It is estimated that of the CO2 emissions produced over a car's lifespan 10% come from its manufacture and 5% from its disposal, with the remaining 85% coming from fuel use and servicing operations.

I think that depends on which set of calculations you look at and exactly what they class the manufacture As
Whether it mining raw material or just the production line
You also have the environmental impact of the lithium mining for battery's
And the huge and essentially gimmicky LCD screens
You then have to consider the vast amount of plastic in recyclable components in modern cars that are going into land fill

With all this taken into consideration the lifetime of a vehicle should weigh far more on our conscious than it currently does
And it is unsustainable for the majority of the population to buy a new car every couple of years

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Generation is definitely going to be an issue at the current point but as someone else has said in future the car will be used as a power source and store.
Hydrogen is becoming a viable with surplus green energy being used to provide the means to make it. When you combine it with a power plant it will provide emission free power.
We are on a journey of transformation, electric has its place but it is just part of the process not the final goal.

F

fred

so apparently the truck is powered by 4 of the model 3 motors and each motor has its own model3 size battery pack. Giving a range of 12-1300 miles if it was a model 3. 700-1000ish when taking into account the train weight. Still more than enough really if they have charging infrastructure.

The tesla battery pack is warrantied for 8 years and have a design life of 500,000 km, they can extend this by controlling the charge and discharge. I'll expect 500k miles easily.

For people that run trucks, if you removed the engine, gearbox and drive train from the equation and only had wear items to replace how much would you save in a year in maintenance/servicing and what would be the average miles for a long haul trucker in the uk to work out annual fuel bill ?

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
For people that run trucks, if you removed the engine, gearbox and drive train from the equation and only had wear items to replace how much would you save in a year in maintenance/servicing and what would be the average miles for a long haul trucker in the uk to work out annual fuel bill ?

The gearbox, clutch and engine should not be wearing items on a lorry unless your driver is a twat.

I have run old lorries for 5 years.... I have yet to replace a clutch, or engine/gearbox components beyond a water pump and single water hose.

F

fred

think more routine servicing costs, filters, oils, plugs, belts etc. Guessing this would be a monthly job for a truck used all day every day ?

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
If the accountant says it will save money the big operators will buy it. They are in business to squeeze every penny possible.
As with anything new it will be a niche thing to start with, but if it works and develops into what more customers want me will buy. Thats how things work.
I know three people who drive electric vans. Currently they would not suit many people, but the numbers stack up for them. I honestly couldn't care less how my vehicles get along, diesel, petrol, electric, gas, nuclear power, so what as long as it does what I want at a cost I can afford. I do object, however, to being told what I can and can't drive. Especially by someone who is London based, doesn't have a clue and relies on subsidised (by us)public transport or chauffer driven limo to get about.

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

so apparently the truck is powered by 4 of the model 3 motors and each motor has its own model3 size battery pack. Giving a range of 12-1300 miles if it was a model 3. 700-1000ish when taking into account the train weight. Still more than enough really if they have charging infrastructure.

The tesla battery pack is warrantied for 8 years and have a design life of 500,000 km, they can extend this by controlling the charge and discharge. I'll expect 500k miles easily.

I can’t see 700 mile range with 4 battery packs form the car if running at 40tonnes. I have just read the article and it looks like they are going to be aiming for a niche market where you will run the truck into a depot where it will be charged whilst unloading. There would need to be a massive upgrade on power into these unloading points to be able to charge 10-20 lorries at a time!! So I see this as niche market at the moment. The cost of the truck will be interesting, as I bet it won’t be anywhere near the cost of a tractor unit. My guess would be a tractor unit is probably £120k ish at the the moment. I will start the guessing at £250k with subsidies on the electric it uses!!

Gunners

Gunners

Who pays when the truck arrives with you and expects to be recharged as well as unloaded! Might work for Tesco's etc who run their own lorries between their own hubs but Ill be dammed if I'm letting DPD plug in every time they try to deliver something to my house!

GazCro

GazCro

Who pays when the truck arrives with you and expects to be recharged as well as unloaded! Might work for Tesco's etc who run their own lorries between their own hubs but Ill be dammed if I'm letting DPD plug in every time they try to deliver something to my house!
At least there's a chance of finding out where they've left you're parcel if they have to hang about.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Most wagons will need oils dropping every 3-12 months (dependent on make and oil) if working daily..... the only additional cost is the oil and filters as your paying for a mechanic to put it over a pit every 4 - 16 weeks regardless.

Bob

Bob

Been annouced that the goverment and EDF want to build a hyrogen plant at Sizewell power station as well as nuclear power plant

F

fred

Been annouced that the goverment and EDF want to build a hyrogen plant at Sizewell power station as well as nuclear power plant

i think its aimed more for the home boiler. apparently the gas network is to be replaced with hydrogen. All the new Worcester Bosche boilers are sold as hydrogen ready.

pettsy

pettsy

All the new Worcester Bosche boilers are sold as hydrogen ready.

Worcester have revealed their prototype hydrogen boiler but I don’t think any of the current models being fitted are hydrogen ready as such.

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

i think its aimed more for the home boiler. apparently the gas network is to be replaced with hydrogen. All the new Worcester Bosche boilers are sold as hydrogen ready.
I think it is more to do with using surplus electricity to make hydrogen. Very hard to turn nuclear power off.....unless it has a melt down, earthquake, sumami....you get get the idea!!
Hydrogen is a store of energy that can then be used or transported when needed.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
:oops::oops::oops::oops: **** that .... H2 straight into yer hutch ..... er :unsure: no thanks :oops: