Taking a dump on me

D

dannydj85

Member
If it’s sounds better in 1st gear then the input shaft bearing is loaded up for this,(53) so you say in 3rd it’s very noisy! Did you have the lay shaft out also? (3) if the output end bearing is damaged it will make lots of noise in higher gears and reverse, as they all put load on that bearing!
Yes layshaft was out washed and a bearing race sleeve put on one end of that. (Pic of layshaft in the vice before cleaning)
Full set of new bearings on full gearbox and instead of replacing the brass bush i put in a closed roller bearing the correct size for the shaft.

Is the output end bearing number 23?

I did change all bearings.

I will take gearbox out and try moving while off the engine.
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
Trouble is the pitting will be through the case hardening.
Having looked up the price of gears, I can understand you not wanting to replace anything unnecessarily.

(Worth keeping an eye out for a replacement box?)
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Yes layshaft was out washed and a bearing race sleeve put on one end of that. (Pic of layshaft in the vice before cleaning)
Full set of new bearings on full gearbox and instead of replacing the brass bush i put in a closed roller bearing the correct size for the shaft.

Is the output end bearing number 23?

I did change all bearings.

I will take gearbox out and try moving while off the engine.
Yes (23) so all bearings are good, try it with the prop off, and no load!
 
D

dannydj85

Member
Yes (23) so all bearings are good, try it with the prop off, and no load!
@Mick-the-fitter do you think my input shaft teeth are too worn?
Could this cause the problem of loud 2nd, 3rd and reverse?
They are pointed with no flat part like a new one.
Im not sure what an unusable gear looks like really.
 

Attachments

  • 892B1C6E-EA3A-4EFE-8480-9432751E63F9.jpeg
    892B1C6E-EA3A-4EFE-8480-9432751E63F9.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 148
D

dannydj85

Member
Is that bearing new? That gear does look badly worn!
Bearing is not new in pic before but it was changed after pic.
That was the best pic of the pointed teeth.

Have you ever put a gearbox together with teeth as worn on input shaft?
 

Attachments

  • D291AA82-9479-4F57-B419-3AB40C733238.jpeg
    D291AA82-9479-4F57-B419-3AB40C733238.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 131
  • 1A46543B-F3C4-47E9-94A0-5279F16395D2.jpeg
    1A46543B-F3C4-47E9-94A0-5279F16395D2.jpeg
    89.9 KB · Views: 158
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Bearing (53) and Bearing (2) need checking, for this type of damage! But the input shaft should be replaced.
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Thanks do you know if anyone has an input shaft for the newage 40m gearbox on here?
You might find such a thing if n a fitters tool box, as they are used as clutch aligning tools, or laying around in a worship somewhere
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
I might have a entire box in a scrapper in the field. I'll have a look see later in the week.
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
What grade oil have you used? I'd guess the manual says 90w, but the straight cut gears might be quietened a bit with 140w.

Several gears seem to show pitted gear teeth, but that may just be sludge catching the light.

The input shaft (pic5) shows it lived a long and honorable life (and has been abused ever since).

View attachment 46945
I suppose some nice Rhino oil would stick to the gear and make up the missing pieces of the gear😊
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
The one in the middle, if it’s an articulated all wheel drive dumper (PT3000, PT2000)
 
Top