Splicing wiring loom preferences

Pedrod355

Pedrod355

Well-known member
I am wanting to splice wire from light bar to headlight wiring loom, what’s everyone’s preference for doing this?
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
As said, Solder and Heat Shrink.

I am very guilty of using crimp connectors, but the connection deteriorates over time....

And anyone that likes those f****ng scotch clips is a special breed of wanker.
 
wee_gus

wee_gus

Well-known member
As above, solder and heat shrink and then possibly some conduit
 
Pedrod355

Pedrod355

Well-known member
Cheers Guys,

that’s what i thought, was hoping there was some new connector or something on market as fecking hate soldering & s**t at it 🙈
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
You can get butt connectors with built in heat shrink, crimp them down and then warm them up.

Or you could fit waterproof plugs and sockets? Deutch connectors are very good, but pricey, or AMP are better priced. Although both need a special crimper to put the terminals on the wires.
 
Last edited:
R

Russell

Well-known member
I use crimps, cut off bullet connectors. If you pull a motorcycle loom apart all the connections are with crimps.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
was told once that a crimped connection is far superior to a soldered joint o_O ..... I couldn't see it either ? :unsure: .... but it was a crimp connector salesman giving it the blarney :ROFLMAO:
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
As said, Solder and Heat Shrink.

I am very guilty of using crimp connectors, but the connection deteriorates over time....

And anyone that likes those f****ng scotch clips is a special breed of wanker.

you obviously have the utmost of respect for the Scotchlok system then Rory :unsure: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
i tend to use the crimp fittings where you heat them up to shrink the ends after.
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Yup. Heatshrink glue crimps here too. Anything else is a waste of time or a bodge.
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
Don't hold back Rory, say it as you find it!
I have to agree though, you have to be a real cowboy to use them.
Graham
 
Engcon UK

Engcon UK

The Noble Art of Digging
I am wanting to splice wire from light bar to headlight wiring loom, what’s everyone’s preference for doing this?
It very much depends on how permanent the join needs to be. If you need to unclip the light bar then I would suggest Deutsch connectors (DT or DTM series), which are crimped (and require a special crimping tool), otherwise solder and heatshrink.

Agree on the scotchblock comments - I occasionally personally use the Wago blocks as a temporary fix at home, but binned the others years ago.
 
R

Russell

Well-known member
Does solder not cause a hard spot that then snaps?
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Nothing wrong with the Scotchlok system ................................................................................ to get you home, where it can be done properly :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
was told once that a crimped connection is far superior to a soldered joint o_O
I think it depends mostly who does the soldering and what tools are used for crimping.
The cheap crimpers that just vaguely mash the connector and wire together are a lot worse than a scotchblock
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I think it depends mostly who does the soldering and what tools are used for crimping.
The cheap crimpers that just vaguely mash the connector and wire together are a lot worse than a scotchblock

have several proprietary crimping pliers, for different sizes .. insulated and non ... and a double hander jobbie for 10mm2 upwards to IIRC 50mm2 .

as said the cheapo jobs are a waste of time and money .... well worth investing in decent pliers to get a good connection.
there are some very cheap hyd crimpers on fleabay recently ... perfectly adequate for the frequency with which they'll get used for most ppl.

as for a soldered joint .... it's good or bad .... no middle ground with that
 
Top