Speed Sensor - Possible to test operation?

pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
I always presumed that tape was for leaky pipe to fix whilst repairing but yes that’s not a bad shout. Off to Screwfix/Toolstation we go. 😁

I was given some at a trade show, and the only time I tried using it as a temp repair on a pipe joint I couldn’t get it to work. Bloke said the tighter you pull the wrap the stronger it is….only wouldn’t stick back on itself when I needed it to!!
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
I always presumed that tape was for leaky pipe to fix whilst repairing but yes that’s not a bad shout. Off to Screwfix/Toolstation we go. 😁
It's commonly used on antenna feeders where connectors are out in the weather. It'd work fine for this, but there is also "liquid insulation tape" which'd be easier to work with.


but for this, I'd think you could get away with just coating the wire in a contact adhesive.
 
jd6820

jd6820

Well-known member
Anyone know, is there such a think as heat shrink tape? Wondering how best to cover the bare wire on sensor. Electric tape just feels a bit of a bodge but obviously I can’t get heat shrink over it in traditional way. I’m over thinking it I know already!
Just remove the pin out of the connector housing then slide the heatshrink down over the terminal or as suggested liquid insulation tape.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I always presumed that tape was for leaky pipe to fix whilst repairing but yes that’s not a bad shout. Off to Screwfix/Toolstation we go. 😁
's what looms used to be taped up with ... good stuff and always have a couple of rolls to hand, -- trick is to get it on tight
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I was given some at a trade show, and the only time I tried using it as a temp repair on a pipe joint I couldn’t get it to work. Bloke said the tighter you pull the wrap the stronger it is….only wouldn’t stick back on itself when I needed it to!!
has got to be dry and clean, straight off the roll ... no dust/finger marks/etc. ..... it can be bloody good stuff .... used some recently on the Golf's induction placcy pipe, where the cover'd worn a hole in it :mad: worked a treat (y)
 
R

rossandson

Well-known member
Actually I think Plastidip do a spray electrical tape.

I’m unsure if the current outer sleeve on both cables is shrunk, can’t remember. But yes removing pins is a good option to do it all properly.
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
A hot glue gun can be a handy shout sometimes, or if you have had to probe in to the wire to seal it up again.
The very best heatshrink is glue lined. The "glue" is just a layer of the same hot-melt glue sticks you'd run in a gun.
Not cheap, but an excellent tough and waterproof result.

Just remove the pin out of the connector housing then slide the heatshrink down over the terminal
That will give the neatest result, but getting the pin out can be an art!
 
Top