Back in the days before so called smart motorways, you'd be on the motorway way, if the matrix signs where flashing 40, you knew it was more like 20 and if they said 20, you'd be stationary.
A while back I did a bit on night time driving and the numbers of foreign wagons speeding through the roadworks and not slowing...I bet not a single one got prosecuted.
What gets me on these smart motorways is how you can go from 60 to 50 then to 40 and each set of gantry signs and then the next minute is national speed limit...only for the very next one after that is 50 again. I'm sure it's all done to generate revenue.
Near me on the M62, before simister island, travelling west bound...immediately after heywood it goes to 50 and then just before the island/ junction for M66, it goes back to national speed limit but then your straight into the roadworks and 50