R.Sanders Plant

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
I'm not commenting. If rory has a guard or not.
Think it was fred dibner or Johnny cash that said about a massive spinning circular saw. "You don't need a sign to tell me not to tough that"
Or don't put your fingers where you wouldn't put your knob😃

I can remember a story grandfather used to tell about when guarding was first required (and Enforced) on Combines.

They guarded a very early MF combine with Mesh, only for the inspector to point out he could fit his pinky finger through it...... "Now Try that when it's running"...... Long story short sense was restored and the guarding was acceptable.

R.E employees.... they can sod off, No Employees, no plans for those liabilities anywhere in the near future! possibly another self employed driver next summer to learn the ropes as he will be finishing his apprenticeship as a Agri engineer but fancy's doing plant hire himself.

Bottom line is it will get guarded before it leaves the yard, along with a load of other stuff.
 
L

Lynchy

Well-known member
Then you my friend,are a cowboy,regardless of employees,changes to plant you might or might not make,your running up a bit of 'plant' cobbled together,with no regards to health n safety or common sense,try using any of that if you were on a proper job/site/ firm
Prioritising time over safety,might be ok in the misty eyed reminiscence of the 'good old days',but I'm assuming this project is part of your work,should be treated as such
 
Last edited:
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
I can remember a story grandfather used to tell about when guarding was first required (and Enforced) on Combines.

They guarded a very early MF combine with Mesh, only for the inspector to point out he could fit his pinky finger through it...... "Now Try that when it's running"...... Long story short sense was restored and the guarding was acceptable.

R.E employees.... they can sod off, No Employees, no plans for those liabilities anywhere in the near future! possibly another self employed driver next summer to learn the ropes as he will be finishing his apprenticeship as a Agri engineer but fancy's doing plant hire himself.

Bottom line is it will get guarded before it leaves the yard, along with a load of other stuff.
Is this what you want the quick growing prickly hedge to go round. Can't be any safer than unable to get near it 😂
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Then you my friend,are a cowboy

Not the worst thing i've been called in my life. :unsure:

I'll leave it at that. You have your opinion, I have mine. Would I put said machine on site without guarding? No. Would I run it up in my private yard to test it and work out the kinks/potential flaws before I add the guarding? Yes.
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
Rory, I was once called “the most dangerous man in the company”, by someone who’d never worked with me.Wore that as a badge of honour, as the truth was almost the opposite. I can see where you’re coming from, just don’t put your own fingers in it :)
 
L

Lynchy

Well-known member
Not the worst thing i've been called in my life. :unsure:

I'll leave it at that. You have your opinion, I have mine. Would I put said machine on site without guarding? No. Would I run it up in my private yard to test it and work out the kinks/potential flaws before I add the guarding? Yes.
You are responsible for YOUR safety
Who starts it? You?
Do you know it needs guards?Yes
There's old,n then there's bold,but seldom together
I'll leave it at that
 
Hg2702

Hg2702

Well-known member
I get both sides of this argument well conversation shall we call it to be civil

if I had rung Rory to hire this and it turned up in its current form it would not be let of the lorry but as stated numerous times it’s in a design phase which is very much trial and error ! If it is only Rory using said piece of equipment In rorys own yard and he knows the dangers then I get his point about wanting to get the project right rather than constantly chopping and changing bit ! It’s no different to me using the steps I found in a skip with A broken rung to get into my loft the element of risk is there I know that and I know how to work around until my all in one fold down loft ladder is fitted

let’s remember this forum is there to help each other out rather than constantly point the finger.
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
I was spoken to by an HSE inspector about lack of machine guarding after being pulled into Tiverton on a multi-agency check. Once he was satisfied that I was the builder of the machine, and was genuinely taking out for field trials he was quite happy to tick me off the sheet. Most of the machine was fully guarded and interlocked, just a new elevator was exposed whilst playing with speed.
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
R&D is all exempt from that s**t anyway
As a one-man band, yes. As a company no. You should see the hoops we have to jump through on a daily basis. At one time we put prototype machInes out to contractors, farms, quarries, etc. Not any more. Too much liability. All Done by in-house testing.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
As a one-man band, yes. As a company no. You should see the hoops we have to jump through on a daily basis. At one time we put prototype machInes out to contractors, farms, quarries, etc. Not any more. Too much liability. All Done by in-house testing.
yeh once you have 'employees' involved it's a whole different ball game .... your own risk is one thing, but can't expose an employee to the same risk levels
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
I've been slope-testing various machines for oil starvation for 15 years (forget normal batter angles) and recently I had an engineer ask me how I know what the maximum safe angle is. I said I keep going until it rolls, then back off five degrees. Took a few seconds for the penny to drop that I was winding him up.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
I've been slope-testing various machines for oil starvation for 15 years (forget normal batter angles) and recently I had an engineer ask me how I know what the maximum safe angle is. I said I keep going until it rolls, then back off five degrees. Took a few seconds for the penny to drop that I was winding him up.
Where do I apply.... dream job that tbh :love:
 
Top