pond liners

A

Andy Gaffer

Evening all, current project requires an approx 10 x 4 garden pond, around 1m deep its not worth bothering with puddling clay, any advise on pond liners, suppliers etc... I also need to install a over flow just in case, so any ideas, cheers Andy.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Depends what you want, can use a plastic or bentonite liner but IMHO puddling clay is usually best.

Is it a Dammed stream type pond, or just a hole in the ground with a inlet?

A

Andy Gaffer

It just an ornamental pond in a garden, it has no feed to it but to cover myself i think it needs a over flow just in case.

Furniss

Furniss

I went back to put a liner in one last week of a similar size for a customers ducks and assorted buggerment :) we did a septic tank and drainage for him last year, he asked if we could create a small pond on the sloping garden with excess spoil from the job ,done a few over the years but im no expert and might learn something from this thread 👌 customer bought the liner and got a decent rubber type not plastic (dont know correct term) then I dug trench about 30cms deep and level around outside with top edge of trench just above outlet invert and tuck terram and liner into it before backfill and creating edge of pond.
Seemed to work fine - hes going to rake grass seed and mess with the edges
Sent me this photo and gave us these
pond.jpg

20210401_184321.jpg

Last edited:
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I went back to put a liner in one last week of a similar size for a customers ducks and assorted buggerment :) we did a septic tank and drainage for him last year, he asked if we could create a small pond on the sloping garden with excess spoil from the job ,done a few over the years but im no expert and might learn something from this thread 👌 customer bought the liner and got a decent rubber type not plastic (dont know correct term) then I dug trench about 30cms deep and level around outside with top edge of trench just above outlet invert and tuck terram and liner into it before backfill and creating edge of pond.
Seemed to work fine - hes going to rake grass seed and mess with the edges
Sent me this photo and gave us these
View attachment 23727

View attachment 23728
Nitrile ??:unsure:

GazCro

GazCro

Nitrile ??:unsure:
Butyl maybe?
Either way unless you're in an area where you can dig a hole and generate you own clay for a small ornamental pond with no permanent feed liner is the way to go. Rubber liners are a lot better than plastic they follow the shape much easier and with less creases and folds.

R

Rob65

I saw some rubber sheet that had been supplied as a pond liner

it looked just like EPDM roofing to me. Don’t know if it’s the same or not.
Anyone got any info on this?

Rob

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
I would run down the route of hole, sand ans just thick plastic sheet of it's not got a constant feed. I'd not bother with a overflow personally unless it's right by the house.

Gecko

Gecko

In different capacities I've been associated with a company that made (make?) pool, pond, dam liners. The small ones were all made with polythene which is easily welded, the larger used fiber reinforced materials (a lot more skill required).
When I say "easily welded", you can do it at home (when SWMBO is out) using a domestic iron.