So it's time that I changed some hoses on my trusty old Terex Benford HD850
And this photos shows that they are O ring jobbies
:unsure:
img_1724-jpeg.15323

well that answers one Q ....... look like BSP females to me

and the bulge-er is deffo on borrowed time

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

totally with you on that one James .... 95% of ports are BSP anyway .... bloody metric is a complete PITFA
They do it just to piss us off, I have one machine with ORFS all over it! Totally unnecessary, I have newer machines with BSP.....all out of the same stable! 🤦‍♂️

The ORFS are a good system, I’m not knocking their functionality, but its annoying when you come across them, like metric is, I only stock BSP stuff, it’s just not worth my while keeping oddball stuff, hose shop is 5 mins away anyway. Not only are ORFS annoying, they are bloody expensive!
Like finding out you have SAE threads in the flat face Q/C’s....and now I have to stock spare SAE threaded flat face couplings! 🤦‍♂️

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Don’t trust a drawing on a sticker, particularly one on a Terex machine! 🤦‍♂️😂
was looking at the nuts on the hoses James, as far as my opinion on the BSP side of it .... hopefully they'll be O ring-ed too, if they're originals

Routy56

Routy56

was looking at the nuts on the hoses James, as far as my opinion on the BSP side of it .... hopefully they'll be O ring-ed too, if they're originals
You are probably right Graham 😆
I’ll be sure to to let you and James know when I’ve got the new ones in my sticky hands 😇

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Unfortunately I think you will find the nuts on ORFS can look very similar 🙄

Bri963

Bri963

don't most ORFS's have a ring machined into 'em ??

Depends on the manufacturer. Some don’t. Another point from earlier in this thread, a lot of motors and pumps have UNF ports, which is also the thread used on JIC fittings. If you can’t get ORFS easily you can change the fitting in the port and go to BSP.
Personally I’ve found ORFS to be a lot less trouble than BSP or JIC. Most issues come from not Holding the hoses and letting the fittings spin on the O ring when fitting.
As you said, you can tweak the orientation of an angled hose end if you’re careful. Done it on most sizes up to 1” and never caused a leak.

There’s quite a bit of difference in hose from manufacturers. Our hose house sell Manuli which is quite stiff, but if you plan and use the natural bend of the hose to your advantage you can get round fitting problems. Original Cat hose is about the most flexible I’ve ever used, but it has it’s own fittings and crimp radius, which you need to know for a good swage. you can use other makes of fitting but the guys we use aren’t keen to do it.

Last edited:
Routy56

Routy56

As a minimum stick a photo of the ends on here before ordering, so everyone can disagree as to what you have!!!
Here you - one end pulled out and butt plug inserted :p
387BE863-DE20-4C0F-A985-631B1CECB080.jpeg

Then the end is revealed in all its glory complete with nice juicy 15mm O ring🧐
2DA104D5-0E5D-42DF-A4E2-8C87F894AF7F.jpeg

looks simple enough 🤣
3E1C6379-D9AE-40EA-8242-5EDFC8EBEB8F.jpeg

so here’s the dimensions on a nice little sketch 🤓
Will there now be an argument about what my fittings are 🤣

Bri963

Bri963

1/2” BSP. The spanner size is useful, but again can vary across manufacturers. The male thread o/d is the important information.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
odd size spanner for 1/2" BSP ??:unsure:

Routy56

Routy56

27mm? Think routy just got too precise 😁
Here you go......
IMG_1742.jpeg

.....grabbed the 27mm combination spanner from the truck and it's the preferred size 🤓
So now we know all the details and it's on a 2006 Benford dumper - what is the fitting IF I order on line?
And would it be single or double wire?
Next week looks like I am out in the seat every working day and may not have time to 'chew the fat' at a hose shop :rolleyes:
Thank for your help and advice so far guys, I think it's helping my hydraulic hose education :ROFLMAO: