Perished hoses ok?

R

Russell

Do you need to replace hoses if they are perished and you can see the steel braiding?

hiluxman

hiluxman

If ive got several hoses looking ropey i just ring my hose guy and tell him to come when hes qt, he then comes and sorts them and goes through them all, replacing as needed. Stops me having issues later down line and give him some money when hes not as busy.

Its always better to replace before they blow and let you down just at the wrong time.

wee_gus

wee_gus

No.
This is an extract from the British Fluid Power Association.

The cover is torn and/or deteriorated, and reinforcement wires show signs of being rubbed, broken, or corroded.

Replace the hose assembly, and use a protective sleeve or hose guards. The hose assembly should be re-routed and, if required, the proper size clamps should be installed to prevent contact between hose and other objects.

hiluxman

hiluxman

No.
This is an extract from the British Fluid Power Association.

The cover is torn and/or deteriorated, and reinforcement wires show signs of being rubbed, broken, or corroded.

Replace the hose assembly, and use a protective sleeve or hose guards. The hose assembly should be re-routed and, if required, the proper size clamps should be installed to prevent contact between hose and other objects.
This sounds more a case of old age rather than rubbing through.

R

Russell

Yeah no rubbing or impact damage. Some just have a bit of cracking down to the braiding.

L

Lynchy

Probs had your money's worth out of them,always better to change before failure,but how much is machine used?

So while we're on topic of hyd hoses.......re ending?....

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
We make up hoses and get the odd farmer in to make a hose for them and they all want that reusable ends and we refuse to buy them, I'm sure we've been told they are not allowed but you can still get them 🤔. And yes iv seen is if we are stuck cutting an end off and re doing it

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Reusable ends are sometimes Essential to recover a Machine.

But re ending pipes is a fools game imho

GazCro

GazCro

Wouldn't re end an old hose unless desperate to rescue machine. However have recently re ended quick hitch hose under bonnet on one machine only 4 year old and loads of slack to work with. Wasn't going to replace through kingpost all the way to hitch just because it was leaking swage fitting

R

Russell

I've ordered some hoses from TCP (the people who made the dumper) and apparently they get them from pirtek. My local pirtek quoted me with 45% discount and were still twice as much. You would think the same company would have similar prices.
To be fair to the local place I didn't know what thread the 6, 90° fittings were so maybe thats what the extra £80 was for. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
L

Lynchy

I've ordered some hoses from TCP (the people who made the dumper) and apparently they get them from pirtek. My local pirtek quoted me with 45% discount and were still twice as much. You would think the same company would have similar prices.
To be fair to the local place I didn't know what thread the 6, 90° fittings were so maybe thats what the extra £80 was for. :rolleyes:
Pirtek 'only' twice as much..... feeling generous,lol I could write a very good book on my Pirtek days.......

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Seconded. Just watch the online order form as it can default your hose ends so you don’t get a matched hose...
agreed ..... I've also had some hoses off a guy on ebay who is very well priced too ... he has a long standing ad on there for them ... this bloke ... he's gone up a quid a hose ... IMHDO they're not dear and he will make you what ever you want

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
You can’t beat having your own swager👍 I have one set up in a 8’ container with fittings, hoses, brazing gear and loads of tools that go out on site if I’m working away from home for a length of time👍

D

DaveDCB

You can't beat Flowfit for pipes if you cna measure them yourself and afford to wait a couple of days for delivery.
Easily 50% cheaper than linings and hoses, and much better quality hose/fittings! Normally come next day too 👍🏼

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

I’ve used the Hydraulic Magastore from Grimsby for online hoses, come next day, seem very competitive.

While we are on the subject, has anyone found decent quality aftermarket hoses that actually last? I find most start perish with in a few years. But the original Gates hoses on some of my machines look as good as new 10+ years down the line! So what’s different? Do OEM’s insist on better quality? And the as the aftermarket is probably price driven, so the quality isn’t there?

J

Jimoz

I was happy enough when one of mine burst and I went local place paid 20 or 30 quid while you wait. Suppose it's a regular consumable for you lads