Newest addition

hiluxman

hiluxman

Let's be fair here.

Running a little lorry ain't that expensive vs a 3.5t truck.

Costs more for my 3.5t tipper than the 10t and 18t trucks in insurance. Currently tax is cheaper on both than the 3.5t and yes it gets looked at every 6 weeks but when you tally it all up. There's bugger all difference for the 3.5 to 10t for me and you know you ain't pushing its boundaries.

Problem will always be if you give some one more they will always put extra on. Typical greed and an it be right attitude (not to say I've been guilty of it previously)

Thomas7740

Thomas7740

I recommend biting the bullet and going to a decent size truck, 12t minimum then of a sudden all this messing about with what you can and cant carry is finished and no need to pay a premium for a towable digger, you get better value in 3.5t digger market and it carries tilty/attachments better etc.
That would mean me employing someone with a lorry licence to drive it, and I’m not prepared to do that.

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

I have said for years that deregulating trucks under 13t for Non Haulage would seriously improve safety..... Knock the O license requirements on the head but insist on a plating/MOT test every 6 months with zero tolerance for repeat offenses of poor lorries. Would rapidly improve things.
Absolutely bang on imho.
That's exactly where I'm coming from.
When you see brand new sprinter and trailer and 2.5t machine setups from the big utility outfits that must be a butty box off the limit you think how dumb it is.

The step up from a 3.5t sprinter with virtually nothing different paperwork wise to granny's fiesta seems bonkers. No middle ground.

Yet you see the yanks with proper pickup and 5th wheel setups that make you weep...and from what I gather their DOT don't take no prisoners if you cock up.

GazCro

GazCro

Absolutely bang on imho.
That's exactly where I'm coming from.
When you see brand new sprinter and trailer and 2.5t machine setups from the big utility outfits that must be a butty box off the limit you think how dumb it is.

The step up from a 3.5t sprinter with virtually nothing different paperwork wise to granny's fiesta seems bonkers. No middle ground.

Yet you see the yanks with proper pickup and 5th wheel setups that make you weep...and from what I gather their DOT don't take no prisoners if you cock up.
Don't forget what you call a proper pickup like the yanks have are actually closer to a 7.5t truck than they are to our pickups

craig

craig

Don't forget what you call a proper pickup like the yanks have are actually closer to a 7.5t truck than they are to our pickups
When I had a Dodge Ram, it had the same engine as my 15 tonners :LOL:

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
No the iveco daily is 7.2t so obviously driven on the old licence and have a gross weight of 300kg less but still carry 1.5t more.
The Isuzu is 7.5t but still carrys 750kg more than the traditional wagons. Rarely see new traditional wagons around here now.
Rare to see a new 7.5t wagon now.
so you're saying their tare weights are low, giving more payload (y)

6feetdown

What licence do you need for 12t? Just looked on auto trader tbf I see exactly what you mean. Cost wise look much better value than a 3.5t

V8Druid

V8Druid

Let's be fair here.

Running a little lorry ain't that expensive vs a 3.5t truck.

Costs more for my 3.5t tipper than the 10t and 18t trucks in insurance. Currently tax is cheaper on both than the 3.5t and yes it gets looked at every 6 weeks but when you tally it all up. There's bugger all difference for the 3.5 to 10t for me and you know you ain't pushing its boundaries.

Problem will always be if you give some one more they will always put extra on. Typical greed and an it be right attitude (not to say I've been guilty of it previously)
but that is totally negotiable dependent on your usage/mileage and can be 3 monthly

hiluxman

hiluxman

What licence do you need for 12t? Just looked on auto trader tbf I see exactly what you mean. Cost wise look much better value than a 3.5t
Class 2 or class c as now known. Although you can now do c plus e. Without doing c first

hiluxman

hiluxman

but that is totally negotiable dependent on your usage/mileage and can be 3 monthly
It can be but generally those doing few miles have a lorry older than 10 years and 'they' want to see them every six weeks regardless of it.

V8Druid

V8Druid

It can be but generally those doing few miles have a lorry older than 10 years and 'they' want to see them every six weeks regardless of it.
back in '06 - '10 mine was a '93, but did little regular miles .. 'they' were happy enough at 3 monthlys :rolleyes: ... and never failed a test

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Our old 7.5t Atego had 7.2m flat bed, was an ace truck, but weighed approx 5.2t on its own meaning you only got circa 2.3t payload. We were constantly running over loaded. We went straight to 26t DAF with a crane and bevertail , very rare we have opportunity to overload now and so much handier for us but limited to drivers now and is more cumbersome compared to the old Atego but the crane opens up so much for us I don't think we could go back now.

V8Druid

V8Druid

Our old 7.5t Atego had 7.2m flat bed, was an ace truck, but weighed approx 5.2t on its own meaning you only got circa 2.3t payload. We were constantly running over loaded. We went straight to 26t DAF with a crane and bevertail , very rare we have opportunity to overload now and so much handier for us but limited to drivers now and is more cumbersome compared to the old Atego but the crane opens up so much for us I don't think we could go back now.
my old Iveco was 4t dead, so a useful 3.5t payload
Picture_0011.1.jpg

and a 22ft bed which'd carry 40 footers on the head tree and horse/trestle on the back end.
length was often more an important factor for us
Picture_0157.JPG
Picture_0156.JPG
crick con6.jpg

Thomas7740

Thomas7740

Will the unladen weight be on the lorry somewhere or is it just a case of taking it to a weighbridge and finding out? Body is Aluminium which will help keep weight down

S

Smiffy

Will the unladen weight be on the lorry somewhere or is it just a case of taking it to a weighbridge and finding out? Body is Aluminium which will help keep weight down

Sometimes a previous owner will have tare weight printed somewhere but isn't compulsory. Your lorry should have a decent payload. It's modern trucks with emissions equipment and safety stuff that are heavy. Up to a tonne worth of pointless junk being carried around at all times