Most car like Pickup ?

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Having had 3 Amaroks for last 7 years I'm somewhat biased ...my current V6 is an absolute flyer...and easily modded to 320bhp which is frankly stupid . Happily sit on mway at 80 on long mway trips...pushes beemers out of way if required..😂
But it's silly money and now discontinued.
So for the money I'd deffo look at navarra, mates got one and it's drags his KX027 around happily but is on its arse.. coil springs just dont cut it imo on work truck?🧐
Get out and try some.
How new is your mates Navara? As the latest upgrades have included rear suspension modifications that apparently should improve the issue of being on its arse when towing. Although I’ve not had much of a problem with that tbh, I think if it’s on its arse then the hitch height is probably wrong?
The latest Navara certainly sits differently to the previous version, and feels different. Apparently many of the 2020 mods and upgrades to the Navara have come from the Merc, but since that is now discontinued it left Nissan free to adopt the improvements and developments made in conjunction with Merc to produce the X Class.

GazCro

GazCro

How new is your mates Navara? As the latest upgrades have included rear suspension modifications that apparently should improve the issue of being on its arse when towing. Although I’ve not had much of a problem with that tbh, I think if it’s on its arse then the hitch height is probably wrong?
The latest Navara certainly sits differently to the previous version, and feels different. Apparently many of the 2020 mods and upgrades to the Navara have come from the Merc, but since that is now discontinued it left Nissan free to adopt the improvements and developments made in conjunction with Merc to produce the X Class.
I've heard a lot of people say the don't like the coils for towing but you're bang on about hitch height and load. I bet most trailers on the road have either wrong hitch height or load or both.

M

Monkeybusiness

Definitely a hitch-height/nose weight issue - I regularly tow 3.5 tonnes (plus possibly) and don’t have an issue with the arse on the deck. Coils are great.

GazCro

GazCro

The only thing that does spoil pickups towing wise against other vehicles is the tow ball is a long way behind the axle. But loaded right its no big deal

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Ok interesting it's an 18 plate so prob not been improved.
But must say most navs seem on their arse.

Other thing u don't hear about much is Amarok is unique in that leafs are in outside of chassis members. Means bigger springs etc and bigger load bed. Hopefully the new ford/vw truck will have best of both worlds...belting big engine/carlike ride, etc etc...in reality it'll be a 2.0l gutless plastic fantastic I bet...🤦

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Definitely a hitch-height/nose weight issue - I regularly tow 3.5 tonnes (plus possibly) and don’t have an issue with the arse on the deck. Coils are great.
Yeah agree with that a lot of folk setup badly.
Hence I stick proper adjustable Dixon bate on as soon as I get a truck. But shite that you can't get hardly any adjustment these days with type approved hitches and ripoff for legit ones..☹️😡

B

Brendan

Every Navara I have seen towing is always in its arse due to the coil springs. Although fuel economy is far more than I see in my ranger. Never driven one.

L200 is really only good for towing 3.1t as that's all it van manage with a twin axle and 3.5t is for Tri axle only, l200 is very small compared to the ranger rear rub is also smaller.

VW amarok only good for 3.1t towing although the engine is great, no low range but seems to manage fine.

Ranger 3.2 is still available but limited stocks new, fuel economy is s**t I'm barely seeing 16mpg at the moment pulling the trailer but its hands down the best towing vehicle I've used, for me the whole sync system is great and way ahead of the others.

New looked at the Hilux as personal over rated and never being a high capacity tow vehicle fair enough the newer ones can tow 3.5t but they have always been underpowered.

All the above pickups have a 6t gtw so can't really carry any weight if towing 3.5t. all pickups suffer with too high a tow ball height with oe towbar as they're exempt from the towball height regs

Sangyong musso only pickup out of the factory with a 7t gtw, 7 year warranty and I'm sure it's unlimited miles no idea on quality, no longer use mercedes engines, doesn't ok from the front the rest looks like someone had an epileptic fit with some crayons

S

Smiffy

Every Navara I have seen towing is always in its arse due to the coil springs. Although fuel economy is far more than I see in my ranger. Never driven one.

L200 is really only good for towing 3.1t as that's all it van manage with a twin axle and 3.5t is for Tri axle only, l200 is very small compared to the ranger rear rub is also smaller.

VW amarok only good for 3.1t towing although the engine is great, no low range but seems to manage fine.

Ranger 3.2 is still available but limited stocks new, fuel economy is s**t I'm barely seeing 16mpg at the moment pulling the trailer but its hands down the best towing vehicle I've used, for me the whole sync system is great and way ahead of the others.

New looked at the Hilux as personal over rated and never being a high capacity tow vehicle fair enough the newer ones can tow 3.5t but they have always been underpowered.

All the above pickups have a 6t gtw so can't really carry any weight if towing 3.5t. all pickups suffer with too high a tow ball height with oe towbar as they're exempt from the towball height regs

Sangyong musso only pickup out of the factory with a 7t gtw, 7 year warranty and I'm sure it's unlimited miles no idea on quality, no longer use mercedes engines, doesn't ok from the front the rest looks like someone had an epileptic fit with some crayons

I was quite up for getting a ssangyong or great wall until a mate bought one
It just seemed cramped and plasticy and that was before he wrote it off with a 5mph front end crash
Didn't even set the airbags off and the thing fell apart
Maybe I have high expectations as I drive an ancient knackered old Ford but I'm sure the same crash wouldn't have knocked the rust off my truck
(And it definitely has enough of that )

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I was quite up for getting a ssangyong or great wall until a mate bought one
It just seemed cramped and plasticy and that was before he wrote it off with a 5mph front end crash
Didn't even set the airbags off and the thing fell apart
Maybe I have high expectations as I drive an ancient knackered old Ford but I'm sure the same crash wouldn't have knocked the rust off my truck
(And it definitely has enough of that )
don't even think of going there ...... got one sat on my drive, belonged to Pam's aged cuz who died this time last year ... horrendous thing to drive... was about to try and out it, when all the Covid crap kicked off ... :(

D

DaveDCB

My Dads has two Ssangying Rextons, his first one did all the towing , always at 3.5ton(120k on original clutch too!!) it was a tank, the newer one is more of a car and can’t tow so much, always some kind of electrical problem, not sure he’ll get a third! We did fit a pair of extra springs inside the original coils to keep the arse end up, they worked well and didn’t compromise the ride etc - can’t remember the brand it was a while ago now!

S

Smiffy

great wall are shite keep well clear

I've resighned to looking for a good condition 10 year old ranger
Was hoping this whole corona thing would cause the price to fall out the market butt haven't seen any deals worth having yet whilst my old truck still plods along

maz

maz

Was hoping this whole corona thing would cause the price to fall out the market butt haven't seen any deals worth having yet whilst my old truck still plods along
I have an 08 ranger. The engine and drive train are like new, honestly its strong and smooth, but the body is like a heap of shite from the 90’s. Chassis rusting everywhere, arches rusted to bits. Seriously pissed off with all that nonsense, almost as if their built to fail on purpose from rust. Wife phoned me panicking few months back, spare tyre was hangin down under the tub coming out of Aldi’s draggin sparks like a hollywood stunt man, the whole mount had rusted through on one side. I would love to bin the rear tub and weld on a flat deck, maybe with some alu sides but cant really be arsed. I’m now pricing up a Navara on lease, I’ll run it 3 years then return it and they can deal with the rust.

Nick...

Nick...

I’ve run hilux for years and currently tow my ecr25d on a gx105 ifor.im never short of power and rarely go over 40/45 when towing but I know norfolk,my home county is fairly flat.my current truck will spin the rears in 3rd gear on the road when moist.as for towbar heights I’ve put a 60mm spacer on my trailer to keep everything level.the spacers are oem ifor Williams parts and makes it far safer too
Nick...

S

Smiffy

I have an 08 ranger. The engine and drive train are like new, honestly its strong and smooth, but the body is like a heap of shite from the 90’s. Chassis rusting everywhere, arches rusted to bits. Seriously pissed off with all that nonsense, almost as if their built to fail on purpose from rust. Wife phoned me panicking few months back, spare tyre was hangin down under the tub coming out of Aldi’s draggin sparks like a hollywood stunt man, the whole mount had rusted through on one side. I would love to bin the rear tub and weld on a flat deck, maybe with some alu sides but cant really be arsed. I’m now pricing up a Navara on lease, I’ll run it 3 years then return it and they can deal with the rust.

My 03 plate has one of the cleanest chassis going but the drive train is knackered and it's starting to have alsorts of electrical tantrums
It's only a personal vehicle really so can't justify a new one and I have no debt apart from mortgage so don't want to start that game
But I want a truck as in an unfortunate event I have alot of tools to go and earn extra cash fencing doing logs and alsorts of farm work

GazCro

GazCro

Anything 10 year old will probably have a lot of miles on. At that age I'd look at 3.0 hilux invincible as they tend to have had an easier life than many others. It seems a lot were bought by people as second cars or for dropping kids off at school. There a lot better vehicle than ranger of that age imho.

S

Smiffy

Anything 10 year old will probably have a lot of miles on. At that age I'd look at 3.0 hilux invincible as they tend to have had an easier life than many others. It seems a lot were bought by people as second cars or for dropping kids off at school. There a lot better vehicle than ranger of that age imho.

The hilux rust just as bad and attract a ridiculous premium for what they are
Been looking at 2010 rangers as they upgraded the gearbox that year lowering the gearing
Looking at them with around 100k miles
Around 6500 grand gets something in fair Nick
The equivalent hilux would be near double the price and they arnt double the truck

GazCro

GazCro

The hilux rust just as bad and attract a ridiculous premium for what they are
Been looking at 2010 rangers as they upgraded the gearbox that year lowering the gearing
Looking at them with around 100k miles
Around 6500 grand gets something in fair Nick
The equivalent hilux would be near double the price and they arnt double the truck
They must be dearer where you are than where i am then. Rust is an issue with them all unless they've been treated by the owner. Looking at all the pickups around where i am apart from hiluxs there aren't many left which are 10 year old. Like everything they are just throw away items. My hilux is a 2010 and i don't value it at double btw.

hiluxman

hiluxman

My 2007 hilux is in pefect condition underneath, its beat up on top and had a very hard life. (Nick will know its old owner)

Ive also an old mk4 hilux which is 23 years old and is absolutly mint bit has only done 48k.

Ive owned hiluxs since i started driving and they are the only trucks that have not cost me a penny in down time or gave any issue.

S

Smiffy

They must be dearer where you are than where i am then. Rust is an issue with them all unless they've been treated by the owner. Looking at all the pickups around where i am apart from hiluxs there aren't many left which are 10 year old. Like everything they are just throw away items. My hilux is a 2010 and i don't value it at double btw.

South east of England
Everything is more expensive round here but then we must have alot less rust issues as there are plenty of 20 year old trucks running around

I don't need a new truck yet was just hoping something would come up with all that's going on but nothing happening yet