Most car like Pickup ?

Furniss

Furniss

Our old car is getting a bit shagged and Im considering a pickup so I can put it through books - get vat back etc - I used to run pickups and tow plant about before moving on to a wagon 10 years ago so things should have moved on since my last Navara (thirsty bugger) neither of us were real fans of pickups for use as a car though.....fuel economy,image,ride quality etc etc
But before we buy another car I thought we might as well go try one out to discount them at least, which is likely to be the most car like of the current crop and return a decent MPG , whether it can actually tow etc is pretty much secondry.

Cheers

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Navara, Merc and Amarok (allow your budget to decide). The rest are much more agricultural.
have you seen the prices of the Amorak :oops: :oops: o_O "
The Amarok TDI420 (4x2) starts off at $38,490, while the range-topping, Amarok V6 TDI 580 ULTIMATE is priced at $72,790. " 🤪🤪

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

I think the Merc is now discontinued, if it’s new you‘re after?

I had a Navara new in 2017, I thought it was a great truck, VERY car like to drive and comfortable to be in, considering it’s a commercial vehicle.
live recently got another one, not that I’ve had chance to drive it much! But just on the few hundred miles I’ve done just getting it home, I am super impressed, not knocking the 2017 model, I thought it was excellent, but this new one they have stepped it up again without changing much on the surface. It’s quieter on the road, smoother and more comfortable, handling is improved, not that I could really criticise the last one, but this is better!
pervious one was good on fuel for a pickup, and I expect the new one to be good also, but like I say I’ve not driven it much, complete contrast to the last one which I seemed to pile the miles on within a month or so!

So on the whole I’d definitely recommend a test drive of the Navara, I’ve got limited experience of the others, so no point in making much of a case against them. I have friends with Ford Rangers who love em, but I couldn’t see what was so much better to warrant the extra cost over a Navara? Also I had heard some frightening stories about engine failures on the 3.2, which is the one to have, so it kinda put me off.
I was always a Mitsubishi fan, but just don’t like the look of the pickups of the last decade or so, so I’ve not looked to hard at them.
I also know someone who loves his Izuzu’s he’s on his 3rd or 4th, he thinks they are wonderful, but imo the navara is in a different class on the road.

Gunners

Gunners

Plus 1 for the Navara. There are no doubt better engines out there, better quality trucks out there and dare I say nicer looking trucks. But the Narava for what I paid is unbeatable and with 5 years warranty, drives lovely - a vast improvement over the D40 in that regard. Whats not to like.

Danny

Danny

The amarok normal & v6 can only tow 3.1T which is disappointing!

Im looking down the route of a ranger wildtrack auto as i dont like the look of the auto gearstick in the navara, hilux etc

GazCro

GazCro

If money no object and 3.5 ton towing not essential amarok v6 must be the one to beat. But over 40k for a pickup hmmm. Between either 3.2 wildtrack or navara test drive both see what you think and how dealer is and how costs stack up. Ranger will be more thirsty than navara from what im told. Mitsubishi are arguably v car like but at the cost of being robust enough to be a decent pickup. Isuzu selling well know plenty happy with them but i think it's more the deals available through nfu etc. That's my take anyhow from a v happy hilux owner but since they dropped the 3.0 engine i think they're lacking. None are perfect and you'll get horror stories about them all if you start digging online but if you're only keeping for warranty period that wouldn't matter.

GazCro

GazCro

The other thing to note even with a decent canopy on the back security is crap and anything in there will get damp. Unless you want to carry diesel drums, digger buckets etc in the back I'd by a high spec van with seats in the back instead

Furniss

Furniss

Thanks for the feedback - So will go have a look at a Navara (y)

The other thing to note even with a decent canopy on the back security is crap and anything in there will get damp. Unless you want to carry diesel drums, digger buckets etc in the back I'd by a high spec van with seats in the back instead
I have never driven a hi spec van of any sort but imagine them to be drummy things on the road ?

GazCro

GazCro

I have never driven a hi spec van of any sort but imagine them to be drummy things on the road ?
Vw transporter is like a big golf. I'd rather drive one than a pickup.

Jimbo69

Jimbo69

My crew cab Transit Custom is very quiet on the road (apart from all my crap rolling around in the back). It’s got all the modern comforts, air con, heated seats and windscreen, cruise control, voice activated hands free Bluetooth thing. I traded in a Vivaro and it was a noisy bugger.

B

Brendan

Would say it would be the sangyong musso as it's unibody andbased on the rexton SUV, whereas all others are chassis derived

D

DaveDCB

Hilux for me, mines sound and wouldn’t call it agricultural at all 🤷‍♂️ I do really like to look of the New Ranger Wildcat Thunder.. awaiting the new Amarok in 2022 as to be fair the current line up of pickups are all the sameish really.

S

Smiffy

If you just want something comercial and arnt sure about pickups what about a Shogun sport comercial
Or disco 5 comercial

Gunners

Gunners

I don't think you can buy the 3.2 Ranger anymore. They have gone to a 2l bi turbo now I believe.
Having driven the most powerful V6 Amaork, I can confirm it is plenty quick enough! And would tow a dream. But no low range..... What were they thinking!
My Dad has just got a new L200 in some kind of bright Orange colour. I've had a quick drive but didnt want to be seen in it. Drove ok, had Auto everything but the cabin doesn't feel as roomy as the Navara and its not as smooth a ride. Oh, and it was 8k more than the Nav!
The Nav is not the best truck out there, but its pretty good and very competitive on price. The dealer network actually speak to you when you turn up, either for a service or to buy a new one. Having owned Ford's they tend to stick the commercials round the back and even then its a bun fight to get served. Dont clean it when they are done etc. I didn't like my Transit Custom - it drove well but being a passenger was horrible, it wasn't great on fuel and had a constant love for the dealer to "re gen it" despite me driving it for 50+ miles every day.

I like my Navara, its posh enough to use as a private car. My Nan can get in the front without being embarrassed or requiring a ladder to get in. You can fit your mates in when going for takeaway after the pub. Customers don't think you're a traveller. Its not bothered by muddy sites (once you upgrade the pitiful standard tyres) and it tows 3.5t. If you drive it sensibly (at 60 on the motorway for example) it will give you 40+MPG and thats with all my tools in the back and all terrain tyres. I think that's pretty good.

M

Monkeybusiness

I don't think you can buy the 3.2 Ranger anymore. They have gone to a 2l bi turbo now I believe.
Having driven the most powerful V6 Amaork, I can confirm it is plenty quick enough! And would tow a dream. But no low range..... What were they thinking!
My Dad has just got a new L200 in some kind of bright Orange colour. I've had a quick drive but didnt want to be seen in it. Drove ok, had Auto everything but the cabin doesn't feel as roomy as the Navara and its not as smooth a ride. Oh, and it was 8k more than the Nav!
The Nav is not the best truck out there, but its pretty good and very competitive on price. The dealer network actually speak to you when you turn up, either for a service or to buy a new one. Having owned Ford's they tend to stick the commercials round the back and even then its a bun fight to get served. Dont clean it when they are done etc. I didn't like my Transit Custom - it drove well but being a passenger was horrible, it wasn't great on fuel and had a constant love for the dealer to "re gen it" despite me driving it for 50+ miles every day.

I like my Navara, its posh enough to use as a private car. My Nan can get in the front without being embarrassed or requiring a ladder to get in. You can fit your mates in when going for takeaway after the pub. Customers don't think you're a traveller. Its not bothered by muddy sites (once you upgrade the pitiful standard tyres) and it tows 3.5t. If you drive it sensibly (at 60 on the motorway for example) it will give you 40+MPG and thats with all my tools in the back and all terrain tyres. I think that's pretty good.
And it will do 120mph... And in a balls-out off-road field-car race it is way faster than a Hilux and a 3.2l Ranger. These things are important when it comes to bragging rights with your mates who have yet again eaten your dust.
(But I have been left for dead by the big-engined Amarok on a dual carriageway. They are really fast to be fair, and the one I would probably go for if it wasn’t a work truck (but then I doubt I’d buy a pickup if not for work)).

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Having had 3 Amaroks for last 7 years I'm somewhat biased ...my current V6 is an absolute flyer...and easily modded to 320bhp which is frankly stupid . Happily sit on mway at 80 on long mway trips...pushes beemers out of way if required..😂
But it's silly money and now discontinued.
So for the money I'd deffo look at navarra, mates got one and it's drags his KX027 around happily but is on its arse.. coil springs just dont cut it imo on work truck?🧐
Get out and try some.