Is the backhoe loader a thing of the past?

diggerjones

diggerjones

I thought you had an old 3cx @Gunners . Surely that would do what you wanted.
I've got an old 180. As mentioned above. I have it on site and use it mainly for fetch and carrying. Wouldn't want to be without it
20210901_143916.jpg

GazCro

GazCro

Well yeah they make money, but are just a toy if they aren’t working 5 days a week.
20k buys you a nice Project12 machine, they are built like tanks! Don’t buy a early P21(long sticks on the back) they are all dogs - mostly exported by now!
Project 12 would be the one I'd avoid personally and thats from experience of one (the one which made getting rid of a 3cx an easy decision).

BillybobLockwood

BillybobLockwood

See I've been pondering a backhoe to increase my capabilities for a while. No need for transport, the forks and wheelbarrow bucket are all very tempting. Old ones don't die and as Ross says, they hold their value well. The downsides are all too well known over an equivalent sized tracked midi, but I cant help thinking if owning one wouldn't be a bad way to give me some more muscle on a job? Thinking of spending around £20k on a tidy but early 2000's ish one, it wouldn't be used every day so should last a few years and prove the concept?
Am I crazy? Is it actually a good machine to run for me in my fleet of smaller kit? I know a few of you have had and sold them since but could you see them ever working as part of a mini fleet to provide some power and forks?
I started with the cat 1.8, a backhoe was a natural second machine for me, not only was it fun to run and a dream to own, but it increased my capabilities vastly. All the sudden we could bid and win a utility jobs, semi significant earthmoving, and I had a large machine that didn’t need a truck to haul it around. Was is the best machine for every job? No. But it complemented my mini well, and was absolutely the most profitable machine to own. Sense than we have bought a fair number few more large machines, we still cannot get the job done without the Backhoe.

Bottom line is, my backhoe makes me money, every day, it saves me needing three more machines and as an owner operator, allows me to do a lot by myself. It reduces our overall Equipment cost on large jobs and gets the small jobs done without help. If I had to start over, a 2.7 ton digger and the Backhoe would be my first two machines.

Giles

Giles

I started with the cat 1.8, a backhoe was a natural second machine for me, not only was it fun to run and a dream to own, but it increased my capabilities vastly. All the sudden we could bid and win a utility jobs, semi significant earthmoving, and I had a large machine that didn’t need a truck to haul it around. Was is the best machine for every job? No. But it complemented my mini well, and was absolutely the most profitable machine to own. Sense than we have bought a fair number few more large machines, we still cannot get the job done without the Backhoe.

Bottom line is, my backhoe makes me money, every day, it saves me needing three more machines and as an owner operator, allows me to do a lot by myself. It reduces our overall Equipment cost on large jobs and gets the small jobs done without help. If I had to start over, a 2.7 ton digger and the Backhoe would be my first two machines.
When you say bid for utility jobs, did you have undergo any vetting or qualifications? Increase your insurance etc or you can literally buy a backhoe one day next day become a utility contractor working Rd low and hi voltage etc and deep sewer with no experience? No formal qualifications or training courses?

D

DaveDCB

Thing is Giles, I’ve been hired onto to so many jobs where you turn up and they say ‘yeah we’re digging down there mate, watch out for the utilities’ literally every time is HV barely below the surface, fibre, gas water you name it - never ever once have I been asked for anything more than cpcs ticket.. must of shown it 15 times in as many years! but then I don’t have anything else to show them 🤠

S

Smiffy

Thing is Giles, I’ve been hired onto to so many jobs where you turn up and they say ‘yeah we’re digging down there mate, watch out for the utilities’ literally every time is HV barely below the surface, fibre, gas water you name it - never ever once have I been asked for anything more than cpcs ticket.. must of shown it 15 times in as many years! but then I don’t have anything else to show them 🤠

You only need one person on site with street works and that IF you are on adopted road or footpath.
I have an npors ticket and streetworks but tbh streetworks doesn't really cover how to excavate around utility's.
Although really you will have a lot of explaining to do if you hit a power cable, As there isn't really an excuse, anything else is fair game.

S

Slick_50

Interesting I stumble across this. I'm in the process of looking for a 3cx to buy. Got the work for it now just need to find one. Looks a bit of a mine field from a basic search tho

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
That will do me, too much online that looks in s**t state.
I've not run a Jake on the firm before so could do with a bit of guidance.
plenty of that to be had here Boyo ..... lots of ex. BHL owners brains to pick here

Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
I’d love that 4cx he’s got listed! Used to have a poster of one on my wall as a kid 🤣
Not our usual thing but i hope the margin from it pays for the lorry i had to sent to cornwall to get a 3cx... Only reason we got it.

What sort of 3CX do you want?

Or specify what's your budget. I would say we see 50-60 units a year

Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
These two are in and out without even a advert :)

Attachments

• EFC8F52E-7496-438A-9743-28DA649C4ECB.jpeg
    EFC8F52E-7496-438A-9743-28DA649C4ECB.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 153