Is the backhoe loader a thing of the past?

Gunners

Gunners

Not entirely related but I’d love one ! Had the horn for them since as long as I can remember so @Gunners buy one and live my best life for me 🤣
I mean, part of this is no doubt influenced by the kid with posters on his wall... But could one work for making some money?

D

DaveDCB

Well yeah they make money, but are just a toy if they aren’t working 5 days a week.
20k buys you a nice Project12 machine, they are built like tanks! Don’t buy a early P21(long sticks on the back) they are all dogs - mostly exported by now!

Hg2702

Hg2702

I mean, part of this is no doubt influenced by the kid with posters on his wall... But could one work for making some money?
Been on a job this weekend it would of been perfect for ripping a bank out and spreading said spoil to lessen the angle of a bank, a decent man with the front bucket would show me up any day 🤣

Gunners

Gunners

Well yeah they make money, but are just a toy if they aren’t working 5 days a week.
I agree, but as a one man band, not everything can be driven all of the time. I'm thinking its more versatility to my business and be able to tackle jobs where I push the poor 8026 to its limit, or need to move pallets around. A lot of my work is at a school now and is often spread out around various parts of the campus. Fetching and carrying gear is becoming quite hard work and takes up a lot of time. I have been borrowing the schools little Wacker Neuson telehandler but its not always available and you wouldn't buy one of them for anywhere near £20k (or any loader for that matter).
So maybe the 3cx could trundle around the estate quite nicely from job to job. Lift the odd pallet, provide muscle where needed on the digging or loading. Occasionally earn some money outside of the school but I wouldn't be looking to make it a front line earner, I make more doing small jobs on price to be honest than driving a machine on a day rate.
Looking for opinions guys, what haven't I thought of here!

B

Brendan

I agree, but as a one man band, not everything can be driven all of the time. I'm thinking its more versatility to my business and be able to tackle jobs where I push the poor 8026 to its limit, or need to move pallets around. A lot of my work is at a school now and is often spread out around various parts of the campus. Fetching and carrying gear is becoming quite hard work and takes up a lot of time. I have been borrowing the schools little Wacker Neuson telehandler but its not always available and you wouldn't buy one of them for anywhere near £20k (or any loader for that matter).
So maybe the 3cx could trundle around the estate quite nicely from job to job. Lift the odd pallet, provide muscle where needed on the digging or loading. Occasionally earn some money outside of the school but I wouldn't be looking to make it a front line earner, I make more doing small jobs on price to be honest than driving a machine on a day rate.
I like the idea of the backhoes and versatility wise there isn't much that will match them £4£ but it's also a case of jack of all trades, master of none.

It could work in your situation at the school but if you weren't doing that would it still fit in?

Could always hire one for a couple of weeks and see if it can do everything you need

6feetdown

Even though 360 and telehandlers are cheap to hire if your only on a job for a short period the transport costs add a chunk to it unless you have the ability to move it yourself

hiluxman

hiluxman

I don't have a 3tonner. I go from 1.9 to the 432...do I ever hire a 3tonner, no. But would I use a worn out backhoe..no, it needs to be right to get the best from it and I don't go out everyday with it but it it has any wobble in it you will soon wish you bought a newer one.

GazCro

GazCro

Even though 360 and telehandlers are cheap to hire if your only on a job for a short period the transport costs add a chunk to it unless you have the ability to move it yourself
If the cost is passed on to the customer it doesn't matter though unless the job really is that small it can't stand it and then you just carry on as is.

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Personally speaking(and from experience) there are very very few circumstances where a Backhoe is worth having.

Those making good coin with them are generally playing the "Jobs" game in built up areas..... Go to "Job", finish by 10, go to other "Jobs"

Majority of Backhoe sized jobs are better served with a Tracked 360' of the 6-7t mark, Dumpers are cheap, as are Telehandlers on long term hires.....

Do NOT get me wrong.... right operator a backhoe WILL piss over a 13t machine on general duties..... BUT it's not worth the cost and aggro.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
only time JakieB got fired up after buying the 'Drema was to move it out the way or level out down the tip in the field ..... which he did with aplomb ... could've used him for spreading planings, but a 10ft beam on the 'Drema won hands down

GazCro

GazCro

No machinery does well standing about idle imo especially if its not under cover but a 3cx is worse than many for this. I often think one would be handy about the yard and could tramp about locally when you need something bigger for half a day on a job than a mini or the extra versatility of a 3cx could be used. Problem being unless you spend a lot of money on one (10 year old max) its probably gonna cost you money and downtime at the worst possible times, yet i couldn't justify tying up the amount of money to buy something newer for limited use.

D

DaveDCB

Bottom line is, buy a telehandler and bucket for it - you can get something tidy for 20k no problem. if you need more digging muscle hire in the right size tracked machine.

S

Smiffy

Bottom line is, buy a telehandler and bucket for it - you can get something tidy for 20k no problem. if you need more digging muscle hire in the right size tracked machine.

Telehandlers hate hard digging though especially industrial ones.

Depending on what you ever intend to lift and load and to what height jcb air masters can be amazing value for money. And they dig like a loading shovel.
Obviously very little lift height by comparison but if you only want to move pallets that's not a problem.

pettsy

pettsy

Mate of mine has a 2cx/airmaster with a bigger bucket than standard. Will just load his 6wheeler. Can get pallet forks etc.

S

Smiffy

Mate of mine has a 2cx/airmaster with a bigger bucket than standard. Will just load his 6wheeler. Can get pallet forks etc.

I think you should just about load a bulker with a toe tip bucket if it it was necessary.
You would buy machine bucket and pallet forks and still not have spent what a worn out telehandler would cost.