Gunns Contractors Ltd

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
On a serious note though, I have been thinking about how I get around the lone working issue. Its all well and good until I get an injury at work or trap myself somehow and nobody is around to rescue me or do first aid etc. Or when working around services, you need a spotter really. I know the forestry industry has this issue too but don't think anyone's come up with a proper solution that I've seen.

Rory obviously isn’t pestering you regularly enough? He obviously needs to up his game.....
 
K

Komatsu

Well-known member
Well you know how it is on the Costa Del Surrey - always summer down here 😁 Most of Guildford is either Chalk or Clay but down by the river we were lucky that the dirt was lovely sandy loam and I think we removed 14 loads of the stuff which the recycling firm were screening straight away. Must have been the only screening they did all month - that picture was taken in one of the few days in November it didn't rain.


Thanks Ollie, Ill look into this
Not a problem, If some of the top boys use it, it’s got to be worth a look🙂
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾

Attachments

  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 390
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Haven't updated things for a couple of months, its been busy, lots of pricing work for the year ahead (its been super busy in that respect) interspersed with a few two or 3 days jobs which have kept me on my toes. I find its almost as much work in organising a 3 day job than it is for 3 months!
Plenty of verity but the highlights were ripping god knows how many stumps out, replacing a fence and reinstating the flowerbed in 2 days with the 801 in a private garden. Replacing a soakaway and patching some potholes in the local village hall. Extreme gardening with the Engcon - moving shrubs and replanting, then turning the old boarder into lawn again. Recovering a fellow contractor who got into a bit of a pickle with his Volvo EC25. Then the most recent job I've just completed, a footpath at a local private school. Hopefully more work to come on the back of that which will be nice as its the perfect kind of work for me. The 801 has seen quite a bit of work these last 2 months which was just lovely with the weather we've been experiencing recently.
Oh and I also passed my CPCS telehandler course - not that you can really fail those but people do! Another £590+vat tax so I can do 3 weeks work.....
 

Attachments

  • 2020-02-01 16.53.41.jpg
    2020-02-01 16.53.41.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 375
  • 2020-02-01 16.53.41-1.jpg
    2020-02-01 16.53.41-1.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 320
  • 2020-02-04 12.18.32.jpg
    2020-02-04 12.18.32.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 320
  • 2020-02-12 14.32.14.jpg
    2020-02-12 14.32.14.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 303
  • 2020-02-13 16.49.23.jpg
    2020-02-13 16.49.23.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 311
  • 2020-02-17 14.27.25.jpg
    2020-02-17 14.27.25.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 324
  • 2020-02-21 07.17.02.jpg
    2020-02-21 07.17.02.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 309
  • 2020-02-21 17.39.35.jpg
    2020-02-21 17.39.35.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 354
  • 2020-02-24 16.48.06.jpg
    2020-02-24 16.48.06.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 364
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
bet them stumps took some extricating with the lil' 'un :unsure:.... looked bloody great after though:giggle: ....... path is awesome (y) :cool:
HTF yer mate get in that position????? :(o_O
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Shame on you for having a landscape rake but no ripper tooth mate! 😂

I do have one, and it got well used on that job!

bet them stumps took some extricating with the lil' 'un :unsure:.... looked bloody great after though:giggle: ....... path is awesome (y) :cool:
HTF yer mate get in that position????? :(o_O

He was straddling the trench and one side gave way. Luckily no damage to the machine, its quite a tidy one.
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
With all the talk of starting new member threads, thought I'd better update mine! I've been trying to install a lawn in this garden for a few months now. Its either too wet or too dry. The topsoil supplied by the developer is some of the worst I have ever used, I don't think its seen a screener before and is full of large flints. The developer insisted on me topsoiling it back in Feb when it was sopping wet so it would look good for his open day. It looked terrible and I had to plaster it on basically. Fast forward a month and now its dried out its gone solid. But at least its another 2 days of being paid to sort it - most welcome in the current climate. Tried attacking it with the rake on the 801 but quickly gave up and went to get the tractor. The harrows broke it down and pulled many of the stones out of it which I have now buried. I'm now waiting for it to show signs of rain so I can seed it and go over it again with a rake to pull the last of the stones out.
But he's paying so I'm happy to keep going back. And seeding it will save over £5k in turf so as far as he's concerned, its happy days.
 

Attachments

  • 2020-02-25 08.08.00.jpg
    2020-02-25 08.08.00.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 276
  • 2020-02-28 17.20.07.jpg
    2020-02-28 17.20.07.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 348
  • 2020-04-02 11.29.20.jpg
    2020-04-02 11.29.20.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 283
  • 2020-04-02 16.25.20.jpg
    2020-04-02 16.25.20.jpg
    407.9 KB · Views: 291
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
I have also been involved in a new build development of 6 houses down on the south coast. Lovely part of the world, great view of the Needles. The houses are quite modern with Art Deco throwback architecture. All the new tech of air source heat pumps, mechanical heat recovery ventilation systems, solar pv etc. An interesting project to say the least. I went down there to tidy the place up and install an electric main and ended up as the site manager when the old one quit! The money has been very good but just over a month in the lockdown hit and as I have quite bad Asthma, Ive had to stop going there everyday but still keep a hand in with the weekly project meetings and organising trades from home. Its a pretty sad state down there now though as many contractors have been Furloughed, materials are difficult to get hold of and I cant get a skip for love nor money. So its grinding to a halt, but we have managed to get another 4 weeks work completed past what I thought we would.
And they have a Merlo forklift which is by far the worst forklift I've driven. Just doesnt have any go in it, stupid electronic handbrake and the controls have a second delay on them. Terrible thing.
 

Attachments

  • 2020-03-11 14.31.17.jpg
    2020-03-11 14.31.17.jpg
    340 KB · Views: 294
  • 2020-03-24 09.48.05.jpg
    2020-03-24 09.48.05.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 2020-03-26 15.10.11.jpg
    2020-03-26 15.10.11.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 278
  • 2020-03-26 15.13.29.jpg
    2020-03-26 15.13.29.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 301
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
I got a day in this week for a regular client with a large garden backing onto the A3. I must have spent over 2 weeks here over the last year, ripping out Gorse from a bund that was made by the A3 widening back in the mid 00's. The new owners want to open it up a bit so we have removed several conifers, cut plenty of others back and I've been trying to get it into some kind of shape so it can be seeded. Its nearly 100m from the house so doesn't have to be amenity lawn but anything green will look better than it did. I've actually reduced the height of the bund and made the slope less steep so it flows from the main garden better. Theres plenty more to do, the bund takes up over 2 acres of their land! Probably have a few more days up there this year and again, these little jobs are helping to keep me sane whilst some of my bigger work is on hold.
 

Attachments

  • 2020-04-08 11.11.55.jpg
    2020-04-08 11.11.55.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 280
  • 2020-04-08 16.10.37.jpg
    2020-04-08 16.10.37.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 2020-04-08 18.17.55.jpg
    2020-04-08 18.17.55.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 356
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Crazy times at the moment. Seem to be flat out with work to do and price, and the phone just wont stop ringing! Thought the lockdown would send things the other way but I'm doing my best to ride the wave while it lasts. In light of the work I've got lined up, I thought it was time I bought a newer dumper. The old 3t Thwaites has served well but I need something I can fit on my plant trailer really, something a bit smaller and more handy for the finishing work and landscaping I tend to spend most of my time on. After debating the usual 1t, 2t, 3t size question, I decided to go for a rather rare beast, a seed that was planted in my head at last years plantworks.

So I would like to introduce you all to my new 1.5t swivel powered wheelbarrow! Picked up last week.

Its the same length as the standard 1t high tip but with wider axels and skip. Takes 5 grading buckets to fill which isnt a huge amount, but at 1.3m wide, it goes behind the 8026 and most importantly for me, will fit down the footpaths I regularly build, whilst also having a bigger capacity than the standard 1t I usually hire for these jobs. 80% of my work is on tight sites with poor access and with this, if I can get the 8026 in there, I can get the dumper in. It should also work well when paired with my 8015.
If I need to do some proper muckshifting, I will hire a 3t for peanuts. But this should be a good compromise a lot of the time on my kinda work. And it looks really good with the wider track on the small chassis (y)
Had to buy new as they just don't come up 2nd hand and I hope to keep it forever so the purchase price should become irrelevant (yes it was expensive for a wheelbarrow).
 

Attachments

  • 2020-05-07 09.09.22.jpg
    2020-05-07 09.09.22.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 317
  • 2020-05-07 16.44.37.jpg
    2020-05-07 16.44.37.jpg
    365.6 KB · Views: 346
Danny

Danny

Well-known member
Now that is a rare size machine dont think i have ever come across one before!

Hope it serves you well going forward :cool:
 
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
Crazy times at the moment. Seem to be flat out with work to do and price, and the phone just wont stop ringing! Thought the lockdown would send things the other way but I'm doing my best to ride the wave while it lasts. In light of the work I've got lined up, I thought it was time I bought a newer dumper. The old 3t Thwaites has served well but I need something I can fit on my plant trailer really, something a bit smaller and more handy for the finishing work and landscaping I tend to spend most of my time on. After debating the usual 1t, 2t, 3t size question, I decided to go for a rather rare beast, a seed that was planted in my head at last years plantworks.

So I would like to introduce you all to my new 1.5t swivel powered wheelbarrow! Picked up last week.

Its the same length as the standard 1t high tip but with wider axels and skip. Takes 5 grading buckets to fill which isnt a huge amount, but at 1.3m wide, it goes behind the 8026 and most importantly for me, will fit down the footpaths I regularly build, whilst also having a bigger capacity than the standard 1t I usually hire for these jobs. 80% of my work is on tight sites with poor access and with this, if I can get the 8026 in there, I can get the dumper in. It should also work well when paired with my 8015.
If I need to do some proper muckshifting, I will hire a 3t for peanuts. But this should be a good compromise a lot of the time on my kinda work. And it looks really good with the wider track on the small chassis (y)
Had to buy new as they just don't come up 2nd hand and I hope to keep it forever so the purchase price should become irrelevant (yes it was expensive for a wheelbarrow).
Love yer new dumper Ollie and the reasons why you bought it 😎
No doubt it will serve you well for years to come - now I want one 😂
 
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Crazy times at the moment. Seem to be flat out with work to do and price, and the phone just wont stop ringing! Thought the lockdown would send things the other way but I'm doing my best to ride the wave while it lasts. In light of the work I've got lined up, I thought it was time I bought a newer dumper. The old 3t Thwaites has served well but I need something I can fit on my plant trailer really, something a bit smaller and more handy for the finishing work and landscaping I tend to spend most of my time on. After debating the usual 1t, 2t, 3t size question, I decided to go for a rather rare beast, a seed that was planted in my head at last years plantworks.

So I would like to introduce you all to my new 1.5t swivel powered wheelbarrow! Picked up last week.

Its the same length as the standard 1t high tip but with wider axels and skip. Takes 5 grading buckets to fill which isnt a huge amount, but at 1.3m wide, it goes behind the 8026 and most importantly for me, will fit down the footpaths I regularly build, whilst also having a bigger capacity than the standard 1t I usually hire for these jobs. 80% of my work is on tight sites with poor access and with this, if I can get the 8026 in there, I can get the dumper in. It should also work well when paired with my 8015.
If I need to do some proper muckshifting, I will hire a 3t for peanuts. But this should be a good compromise a lot of the time on my kinda work. And it looks really good with the wider track on the small chassis (y)
Had to buy new as they just don't come up 2nd hand and I hope to keep it forever so the purchase price should become irrelevant (yes it was expensive for a wheelbarrow).
Similar thought process to me when buying my 1.8t tracker dumper. Looks a handy tool

How much was it?
 
Top