Gunns Contractors Ltd

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
some tool that :cool: ..... interesting bucket :unsure:
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Job with the ditch witch is done. Its an interesting idea not having a dumper and using a loader to run muck in and out. I can see why a landscaper would buy one, whilst its not as quick at shifting dirt as a digger and dumper, it can do it on its own and once all the digging is complete, it becomes a much more universal tool with the forks, rotovator, levelling bars and ripper tines. So I totally get it, but it was incredibly expensive - rumoured around £35k:eek: I think you could buy a full cab tracked skid steer for that! Mind you it did pick up over a ton fairly competently so doesn't lack capability.
Anyway, the true winner on that job for me was finally getting my head around using the gradient function on the Idig system. Not one bit of this garden is level and there's sets of steps all over the place. The garden had a cut and fill to make the lawn more level, so I knocked in some pegs at the heights shown on the drawing and everything else was dug to grade with the idig. Didnt even use the laser. If you're considering it, I cant sing its praises enough and on price work it will recoup its costs in months I'd say.
Also got myself a new digging bucket. I had a 750mm digging before but thought with the tiltrotator that it would be too heavy but experience has shown that isn't a problem. So back to pretending I can shift muck like a 5 tonner.;)
Started a new job this week, moving a pond in a school for their classroom extension. Only problem is - Newts, or in particular, one great crested. A male at that. Its cost the school over £30k to move one Newt that the ecologist doesn't think we will even find. To add to the fun, there is also an Archaeological watching brief on the new pond. So it took most of the day to dig a 700mm deep 6x6m pond.:rolleyes: Dispite having all the toys, it seems I cant get away with digging without somebody watching me.
Next week we actually start the transfer of the old pond to the new one. Its going to require a hand search of the whole area before I can strip the vegetation to make it less attractive as a habitat. So far we found 15 smooth newts and that was just in one log pile. But no sign of the illusive crested fella. Still, its a good hire for the digger, done about 4 hours work all week. Doesn't take long to pay off like that (y)
 

Attachments

  • 2019-09-11 15.47.58.jpg
    2019-09-11 15.47.58.jpg
    353.6 KB · Views: 327
  • 2019-09-20 16.24.29.jpg
    2019-09-20 16.24.29.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 370
  • 2019-09-22 18.29.11.jpg
    2019-09-22 18.29.11.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 353
  • 2019-09-24 10.28.26.jpg
    2019-09-24 10.28.26.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 370
  • 2019-09-24 14.53.54.jpg
    2019-09-24 14.53.54.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 299
  • 2019-09-26 12.01.59.jpg
    2019-09-26 12.01.59.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 340
  • 2019-09-26 12.03.29.jpg
    2019-09-26 12.03.29.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 328
doobin

doobin

Well-known member
Yeah, but the sickener is I bet the ecologists day rate is higher than yours...
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Yeah, but the sickener is I bet the ecologists day rate is higher than yours...
Yes, £450/day +vat for the ecologist. I'm now £350/day+vat which I didnt think was bad in itself. Guess I should have gone to uni after all:unsure:
 
pettsy

pettsy

Well-known member
Yes, £450/day +vat for the ecologist. I'm now £350/day+vat which I didnt think was bad in itself. Guess I should have gone to uni after all:unsure:

I get this when people ask me how much to go out on hire with my micro. I can make better money plumbing and heating and leave my digger sat at home :LOL:
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Believe it or not, that's EXACTLY the firgure I had in mind! Fuckers. Never mind, when the s**t hits the fan and it all goes south, real skills will still be in demand.

no question (y)(y):cool:
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Been a while since I last updated this thread - but no less busy! Finished the newt pond, feels like an age ago now. Installed composite decking around the outside for the kids to access for dipping etc and whilst it will last much longer than timber, I have to say it wasn't easy to build. The stuff seems to twist endlessly and trying to keep everything straight is a real challenge. Its made of a recycled plastic which is great but your screws pull out quite easily, it blunts your blades and is just generally hard work:mad:! I don't have any pics of the finished job which is a shame but it looked alright in the end.

I had a track snap on me, there's never a good time for this(n) I was near to the JCB dealer so thought oh well, quick fix - until they told me I had some kind of special size on my 8026 and they could get me one for.... January. Yeh... cheers for that. Phone call to Digbits, they knew exactly what size I had and dispatched it same day. Lost an afternoon but it could have been worse. So I'm now running Camso tracks and have upgraded to the "LGP spec" 300mm wide! oooooooh! Why the digger came with 250mm wide tracks on it anyway is beyond me but it looks proper now - well it will do when I fit the other one. Anyway, shout out to Digbits whose service was spot on and the product seems to compare very favourably to the original Bridgestone tracks it came with.

Next job was some land drainage in a local private school. I dont think they could believe it when I turned up with 2 diggers and a dumper but only one man. Installed the runs, dug the soakaway pit and even managed to line up the steps on the rings on my own. The Engcon and Idig systems were perfect for this job and really showed what can be achieved on the right job with one man. And fair play to the 8026 for swinging the rings about no bother.

I then spent 2 weeks digging for a local landscaper. Huge reduction in levels on this job with a new drive going in and complete new garden. Didnt get a pic of the final result which is a shame but it was all dug with the Idig and no laser. I had a peg in each corner of the garden at the level I needed and worked it all off that. The intermediate levels I just inputted into the system as I got to them. Checked it all with a laser on the last day and it was bang on. Sorting my own levels and grades out meant the other man I had with me could get on with shifting the dirt round the front with another one of those little track loaders.

The last 2 weeks have been building a lift pit in a self storage unit. A challenging project on a stupidly tight timescale but we got it done. I had a shutter burst when pouring the walls and had to work all night to resolve it but lesson learnt - more bracing next time! I'm pleased with the end result now and it made a nice change working indoors in this weather and a break from driving diggers.
 

Attachments

  • 2019-10-15 16.22.33.jpg
    2019-10-15 16.22.33.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 312
  • 2019-11-01 11.33.33.jpg
    2019-11-01 11.33.33.jpg
    308.6 KB · Views: 315
  • 2019-11-12 13.17.39.jpg
    2019-11-12 13.17.39.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 314
  • 2019-11-20 13.10.23.jpg
    2019-11-20 13.10.23.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 303
  • 2019-11-27 10.30.36-1.jpg
    2019-11-27 10.30.36-1.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 302
  • 2019-11-29 18.13.39.jpg
    2019-11-29 18.13.39.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 296
  • 2019-12-04 13.37.14.jpg
    2019-12-04 13.37.14.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 329
  • 2019-12-06 17.10.17.jpg
    2019-12-06 17.10.17.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 294
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
Sounds like the Idig will have paid for itself no trouble.
That plastic wood is horrible stuff. Sounds ideal for damp conditions, but we installed some long lengths for path edging and as soon as the sun got on it it twisted so hard it ripped the screws out and pushed the retaining pegs over. Luckily it was supplied by the customer, so although they complained to us we told them to take it up with the manufacturers and from what I hear they got no joy from them.
 
Danny

Danny

Well-known member
Great work as always, have you had any customers complain that its just your self?

I understand the savings your making with the idig and engcon but dont you get lonley? :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:
 
TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Well-known member
Got some Camso tracks on the Kubota a little while ago and very impressed with them. No rattle and shed the muck off the tracks quite well!! Interesting and tidy work!!
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Great work as always, have you had any customers complain that its just your self?

I understand the savings your making with the idig and engcon but dont you get lonley? :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Nobody has complained yet. They've mentioned it but once they see I'm completing the work on schedule its never mentioned again. Usually its a discussion about the fancy spinning bucket and how they've never seen one before, rather than a lack of labour. I do charge for two men on price work and so if I need someone, the money is there for it but 90% of the time its not necessary. As for getting lonely, I enjoy listening to the radio and podcasts, and helmet tapping with my imaginary friend Wilson!!! 😆

And are you the boss or the apprentice
Or both do you have to play pranks on yourself ??

No time for that, got work to do! And I'm only the boss if everything's going right. Fairly regularly, this job reminds me that I am still very much an apprentice when the s**t hits the fan!🤪

On a serious note though, I have been thinking about how I get around the lone working issue. Its all well and good until I get an injury at work or trap myself somehow and nobody is around to rescue me or do first aid etc. Or when working around services, you need a spotter really. I know the forestry industry has this issue too but don't think anyone's come up with a proper solution that I've seen.
 
Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
On a serious note though, I have been thinking about how I get around the lone working issue. Its all well and good until I get an injury at work or trap myself somehow and nobody is around to rescue me or do first aid etc. Or when working around services, you need a spotter really. I know the forestry industry has this issue too but don't think anyone's come up with a proper solution that I've seen.
There are lone worker alarms and apps for your phone that go through to a monitoring company. Some rely on you being able to call in, but others have shock sensors and alarms if you haven't moved in so long.
We occationally lone work and have a phone in system whereby the lone worker has to phone in at regular intervals. Not perfect, but better than nothing. Maybe set a timer and text the missus every hour. If you miss she contacts you and if she can't get through after so many tries calls 999.
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Nobody has complained yet. They've mentioned it but once they see I'm completing the work on schedule its never mentioned again. Usually its a discussion about the fancy spinning bucket and how they've never seen one before, rather than a lack of labour. I do charge for two men on price work and so if I need someone, the money is there for it but 90% of the time its not necessary. As for getting lonely, I enjoy listening to the radio and podcasts, and helmet tapping with my imaginary friend Wilson!!! 😆



No time for that, got work to do! And I'm only the boss if everything's going right. Fairly regularly, this job reminds me that I am still very much an apprentice when the s**t hits the fan!🤪

On a serious note though, I have been thinking about how I get around the lone working issue. Its all well and good until I get an injury at work or trap myself somehow and nobody is around to rescue me or do first aid etc. Or when working around services, you need a spotter really. I know the forestry industry has this issue too but don't think anyone's come up with a proper solution that I've seen.

The closest forestry has come to the answer is check ins
Usually each tank of fuel either by phone or meet up if working separately on the same site
Is there someone you could ring once an hour or so

The best answer would be an app on the phone that could alert someone if it doesn't detect movement for 10 mins
 
K

Komatsu

Well-known member
On a serious note though, I have been thinking about how I get around the lone working issue. Its all well and good until I get an injury at work or trap myself somehow and nobody is around to rescue me or do first aid etc. Or when working around services, you need a spotter really. I know the forestry industry has this issue too but don't think anyone's come up with a proper solution that I've seen.
This is what a lot of lads use Ollie https://guardian24.co.uk/lone-worker-solutions/
 
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
To be honest I use a phone call to a known person every 30mins - 1hr.

We have also carried marine flares on a couple of jobs. Probably wouldn't work in your part of the country but on jobs near the coast in particular, if I f***ed my leg at least I could signal for help with a good chance of rescue.

This sort of thing is also a option if no signal.

 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I then spent 2 weeks digging for a local landscaper. Huge reduction in levels on this job with a new drive going in and complete new garden.
obviously had a drier November than we did :oops: that looks like summer in the pic.
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
obviously had a drier November than we did :oops: that looks like summer in the pic.
Well you know how it is on the Costa Del Surrey - always summer down here 😁 Most of Guildford is either Chalk or Clay but down by the river we were lucky that the dirt was lovely sandy loam and I think we removed 14 loads of the stuff which the recycling firm were screening straight away. Must have been the only screening they did all month - that picture was taken in one of the few days in November it didn't rain.

Thanks Ollie, Ill look into this
 
Top