Gunns Contractors Ltd

D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
You could use something like this... which wouldn’t of washed away as much, but if your not supplying aggs your already shoved under the bridge!!
 
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Had the opportunity to put one of the long arm Bobcat E19's next to my 8015 today. You can see the difference in reach, although according to the spec's, the Bobcat wont dig any deeper than the JCB, I guess reach at ground level, doesn't necessarily mean it can dig deeper? Nice machine though, the cab is lovely and great service access with the side opening panels.
 

Attachments

  • 2020-10-24 12.39.54.jpg
    2020-10-24 12.39.54.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 350
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Had the opportunity to put one of the long arm Bobcat E19's next to my 8015 today. You can see the difference in reach, although according to the spec's, the Bobcat wont dig any deeper than the JCB, I guess reach at ground level, doesn't necessarily mean it can dig deeper? Nice machine though, the cab is lovely and great service access with the side opening panels.
not such an extreme crank on the boom helps that a lot
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
not such an extreme crank on the boom helps that a lot
That is true, but one has the boom lift ram under the boom and the other has the ram over the top. So there’s possibly more to the geometry than meets the eye?
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
That is true, but one has the boom lift ram under the boom and the other has the ram over the top. So there’s possibly more to the geometry than meets the eye?
I wonder if the ram location is the reason. Clearly the e19 there and take micro and 216 also have boom ram mounted on top and they all have flatter shape to the boom. From what little experience I've had of top mounted boom I've found machines with them to have a less useful working range (hence i stick with conventional layout up to now) i guess it's a compromise which is probably worth it for a hire company.
 
hiluxman

hiluxman

Well-known member
Had the opportunity to put one of the long arm Bobcat E19's next to my 8015 today. You can see the difference in reach, although according to the spec's, the Bobcat wont dig any deeper than the JCB, I guess reach at ground level, doesn't necessarily mean it can dig deeper? Nice machine though, the cab is lovely and great service access with the side opening panels.
I did a quick check via google and was around 500mm deeper with the e19 long arm over the 8015.

Jcb 8015 2044mm bobcat e19 2585
 
Last edited:
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
I did a quick check via google and was around 500mm deeper with the e19 long arm over the 8015.

Jcb 8015 2044mm bobcat e19 2585
My 8015 goes to 2.5m I've done it several times! Maybe the newer ones with the ram over the boom like the bobcat dont?
 
hiluxman

hiluxman

Well-known member
My 8015 goes to 2.5m I've done it several times! Maybe the newer ones with the ram over the boom like the bobcat dont?
Most of my old machines have only ever done around 2.1 to 2.3 depth regardless of boom on top or not.

Im not going to disbelieve you but to get 2.5 did you put blade behind and jack it up ect.

Also hitch will alter dig depths from quoted to actual
 
Neilporteous

Neilporteous

Active member
Just to throw this into the mix,

dug out a hole today with the Takeuchi TB219 to a depth of 2500mm for a biodisc septic tank.
 

Attachments

  • 04B6CB85-27E2-4FC2-BDE3-43EB0D5AFE9C.jpeg
    04B6CB85-27E2-4FC2-BDE3-43EB0D5AFE9C.jpeg
    480.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 99A52DC7-D5BF-4571-A9FB-57376032C10F.jpeg
    99A52DC7-D5BF-4571-A9FB-57376032C10F.jpeg
    392.5 KB · Views: 267
  • BC65FA89-CBE2-4A07-83D3-9747635CB847.jpeg
    BC65FA89-CBE2-4A07-83D3-9747635CB847.jpeg
    500.8 KB · Views: 222
  • 2A9757D0-86F8-4FC6-A9ED-187280CF86E4.jpeg
    2A9757D0-86F8-4FC6-A9ED-187280CF86E4.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 257
  • B827A7FD-05AF-4732-9205-8B19A1E8570C.jpeg
    B827A7FD-05AF-4732-9205-8B19A1E8570C.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 242
Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
Wouldn't do that with 8015 without digging a patch down to sit the digger in.
I think people are misinterpreting the point of my original post here. I wasn't saying the 8015 is better than the Bobcat. Just using it as something to compare the long arm against as that's what I have in my yard. There have been several discussions recently on here about the Bobcats and the advantages and disadvantages of the longer arm Personally I was surprised the Bobcat wouldn't go significantly deeper that the JCB, given its long arm and I invited your thoughts on boom geometry in general with the trend towards putting the boom cylinder on top of the arm.
I know what I can do with my 801, and I know what it owes me and what its earnt me. I wondered what you all thought of the Bobcat not the JCB!

@hiluxman You have a good point that the quick hitch will help a bit with dig depth, and I quite probably did have the blade behind me when going deep. Due to the shorter track frame length on the JCB, it needs the blade to the rear to get the most power down in hard ground. The Bobcats track frame must me a good 6" longer which gives a noticeable improvement in stability when tracking it on and off trailers etc.
 
GazCro

GazCro

Well-known member
I think people are misinterpreting the point of my original post here. I wasn't saying the 8015 is better than the Bobcat. Just using it as something to compare the long arm against as that's what I have in my yard. There have been several discussions recently on here about the Bobcats and the advantages and disadvantages of the longer arm Personally I was surprised the Bobcat wouldn't go significantly deeper that the JCB, given its long arm and I invited your thoughts on boom geometry in general with the trend towards putting the boom cylinder on top of the arm.
I know what I can do with my 801, and I know what it owes me and what its earnt me. I wondered what you all thought of the Bobcat not the JCB!

@hiluxman You have a good point that the quick hitch will help a bit with dig depth, and I quite probably did have the blade behind me when going deep. Due to the shorter track frame length on the JCB, it needs the blade to the rear to get the most power down in hard ground. The Bobcats track frame must me a good 6" longer which gives a noticeable improvement in stability when tracking it on and off trailers etc.
Not missing you're point at all but there's more to it. It's the combination of dig depth, reach and loading height that makes the difference with the longer arm and also the ability to still be able to work close in. I had an 8015 before the 219 so i know how much more productive the longer arm is for my 1.5 tonner work. Would be interesting to know how all the long reach 1.5 tonners stack up against each other in the real world. You'll have to get a few more machines in the yard.
 
F

fred

Well-known member
Also put in a Breedon gravel path for a customer in Petersfield. Used the track barrow to run down the path so minimised any damage to the lawn. Cant believe how expensive Breedon gravel is!

what edging you using there ollie, looks thicker stuff than gravel boards ?
 
F

fred

Well-known member
Its a mugs game Rob. I was pricing larger work for developers I already have completed work for and I was being under cut on 150k jobs by 30k. The margin goes down as the work gets bigger to the point where another reputable contractor in the south told me he was completing £1m of work and was hoping to earn 50k. Thats 5% margin. You wouldn't complete £1k of work for £50 profit so why do it when it scales up? The only way to earn is to cheat and thats not who I am. If I cant win work on a good reputation and solid workmanship then I'm out while I can!

this is one of the main reasons the reverse VAT change is coming in.

You bang in a quote for a modest profit, firm B bangs in another for 20% less. Gets paid, developer reclaims the VAT firm B goes bust owing the vatman. The VAT was there profit. Everyone wins apart from the taxman.
 
Storrsy

Storrsy

Well-known member
That is true, but one has the boom lift ram under the boom and the other has the ram over the top. So there’s possibly more to the geometry than meets the eye?
Personally I don’t much like the machines with the ram on top of the boom. I get why they’ve done it but if they can’t drive a machine without clouting the lift ram then they probably shouldn’t be on it in the first place!
 
Top