Drill bits

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I’m pretty good at putting an edge a drill bit but bought one of these
mainly so my brother can sharpen the bits he knackers😳👍 good bit of gear👍👍
looked for years for summat that'd do 3.5" ... but never found anything that'd do more than 2.5" ... and they were easy enough by eye on a belt grinder ..... that'd want to be bloody good to warrant the cost Mog, when you are capable yourself

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
looked for years for summat that'd do 3.5" ... but never found anything that'd do more than 2.5" ... and they were easy enough by eye on a belt grinder ..... that'd want to be bloody good to warrant the cost Mog, when you are capable yourself
Fook just looked at the price😳😳 I can assure you I didn’t pay that for it 👍

dod

dod

really🤔 I thought it did a fair job😳

Ive a 750 drill doctor and it does a cracking job. Uve to remember to count the turns. If u turn it an odd number u fairly notice the points off centre. They never last as long after they've been sharpened as the original. Maybe heating it up too much when sharpening?:unsure:

doobin

doobin

Ive a 750 drill doctor and it does a cracking job. Uve to remember to count the turns. If u turn it an odd number u fairly notice the points off centre. They never last as long after they've been sharpened as the original. Maybe heating it up too much when sharpening?:unsure:
Yes, they do the twist sharpen bit ok. But when you try to split the point, you can feel the side to side pay in the collet and it's just too much- we're talking fractions of a mm to split the point properly on a small bit, and it's jsut not good enough.

Heating is a problem when sharpening drills, as I recall the Drill Doctor uses a diamond wheel. Diamond will work, but it will tend to gall up and generate heat when used to cut steel. CBN is the diamond alternative for sharpening HSS, and is a total game changer. Cuts clean, cool and razor sharp every time.

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
We've been buying from HMT, Hole Maker Technology, not the cheapest but bloody good stuff. That or cutwel for cutters.

R

Russell

Nah I disagree. Torx are definitely superior in every way. I've not snapped a single bit in over a 1000 5x100 Torx screws plus's all the 80s and 50s. It's no longer an issue. I don't think pz2 are good enough for the torque of modern impact drivers.
Having said that, whilst torx bits and screws are way better for screwing in, they are very difficult to unscrew once the head goes below the surface of the wood.
I still use them for most things but they wouldn't be any good for nocking together a ramp or anything that will need removing.

Last edited: