Drill bits

R

Russell

My local engineering place is closed and I need some drill bits. Can anyone recommend a make of quality drill i can get off the web or eBay? Every drill I've bought from Screwfix and Toolstation has been blunt and rubbish.

doobin

doobin

UK drills on eBay. Cobalt series are good value Come well ground to 135°.

S

Smiffy

I use the erbauer ones from screwfix and actually think pretty good quality especially for the price
The Titan or nameless stuff from screwfix is aweful but I have always found erbauer stuff to pretty good
There impact screwdriver bits where awesome until they changed desigh

GazCro

GazCro

Buy a drill bit sharpener. When you find a good one at reasonable money let me know where i buy one. Tia

doobin

doobin

Buy a drill bit sharpener. When you find a good one at reasonable money let me know where i buy one. Tia
No such thing for under a couple of grand mate! Not if you want to thin the web and split the point too.

I've learnt to sharpen on a bench grinder reasonably well (CBN wheel makes a world of difference) but I've still come to the conclusion that outside of a 24/7 machine shop, new bits are cheaper.

R

Russell

I use the erbauer ones from screwfix
There impact screwdriver bits where awesome until they changed desigh
I've moved over to Torx head screws, I recently built my shed 7mx3m and used one bit to drive all the screws for joists, noggins and deck and it's still going. They are so much better than Pz2. I just need to find a supplier of reasonably priced Torx head stainless screws for close board fencing. The spax are a bit dear and not many people want to pay to get their fence done properly as it is.

T whiting

T whiting

Anything under 10mm are disposable it's just not worth sharpening them I've always got on well with dormer bits

doobin

doobin

I've moved over to Torx head screws, I recently built my shed 7mx3m and used one bit to drive all the screws for joists, noggins and deck and it's still going. They are so much better than Pz2. I just need to find a supplier of reasonably priced Torx head stainless screws for close board fencing. The spax are a bit dear and not many people want to pay to get their fence done properly as it is.
I find Torx a pain for general works, especially if you need to drive at a slight angle. Also they clog easier and and harder to clean out than PZ2 heads. The benefits don't outweight the negatives IMO.

Don't laugh, but Draper PZ2 bits are cheap enough from Toolstation and seem to last fairly well. Milwaukee on the other hand were wank.

S

Smiffy

For my own stuff I use torx I think they are amazing I use the goldscrew from screwfix and the toolstation equivalent and think they are really good screws and I agree that torx are a million times better than pozi
But work won't pay the extra for torx even though I think the time saving would pay for them
Plus rather than carrying several tools I have the Makita compact 1/2 inch impact with a 1/4adapter on it as it can put together steep framed buildings and do the cladding but it is hard on screwdriver bits

tinydigger

tinydigger

making machines look small since 1980
When my local homebase was having a clear out i spent over £150 in there on drill bit screwdriver bits and hole saws think i am set for a while :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

B

Brendan

The DeWalt impact spec pz2 bits are fairly decent get a few hundred screws out of one

GazCro

GazCro

Makita do impact specific pz2 bits i think they call them torsion bits they are reversible. Longest lasting I've found

doobin

doobin

For my own stuff I use torx I think they are amazing I use the goldscrew from screwfix and the toolstation equivalent and think they are really good screws and I agree that torx are a million times better than pozi
But work won't pay the extra for torx even though I think the time saving would pay for them
Plus rather than carrying several tools I have the Makita compact 1/2 inch impact with a 1/4adapter on it as it can put together steep framed buildings and do the cladding but it is hard on screwdriver bits
You do know you can turn the power down, right? :ROFLMAO: Fair winds them in doesn't it!

S

Smiffy

I find Torx a pain for general works, especially if you need to drive at a slight angle. Also they clog easier and and harder to clean out than PZ2 heads. The benefits don't outweight the negatives IMO.

Don't laugh, but Draper
You do know you can turn the power down, right? :ROFLMAO: Fair winds them in doesn't it!
Even with the power on lowest setting Its a beast and destroys cheap bits, the old erbauer ones would do a few hundred the new design will do a few!!

I still have a fair few old bits to keep me going at home and usually find the bits supplied in boxes of screws are ok for the box of you get 2 in there

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Anything under 10mm are disposable it's just not worth sharpening them I've always got on well with Dormer bits
... and Presto, but be sure they are HSS not HCS

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Anything under 10mm are disposable it's just not worth sharpening them I've always got on well with dormer bits
when all you lads "dispose" of yer blunt drills .... send 'em here .... I'll soon put an edge back on 'em :giggle::giggle:

R

Russell

Nah I disagree. Torx are definitely superior in every way. I've not snapped a single bit in over a 1000 5x100 Torx screws plus's all the 80s and 50s. It's no longer an issue. I don't think pz2 are good enough for the torque of modern impact drivers.

T whiting

T whiting

when all you lads "dispose" of yer blunt drills .... send 'em here .... I'll soon put an edge back on 'em :giggle::giggle:
Tbh I normally keep running them until they snap unless I'm doing a decent amount of metalwork. Do you just resharpen them by eye? It's a skill I never learnt and I'm sure can't be thought over the internet

doobin

doobin