Don't be a Wally vote for Ollie

Gunners

Gunners

Well-known member
@Gunners does everyone take their own machine or do you all drive a demo machine
I believe we all drive what's there - probably something Hitachi as they are a sponsor and its in O'Briens quarry who are big Hitachi users. Details about the day are very thin on the ground, I've only been told the date so far. No idea what machines we will be driving, hopefully a variety as that will play better into my hands than just a 13tonner. Think putting a pallet 3 stories up onto a loading bay with a telehandler and getting the bloody thing back down again would suit the men from the boys but I imagine
@Routy56 I am going to ask about getting some fans (family) in FOC. Druid can play the grandfather role 😆 Whoever wants to wear a wig and play "mum" is up for grabs!
@doobin I intend on going, but only if they pay a deposit first 🤪 Got to be worth a stab at the £10k and its only in Luton. Could be the best bit of contracting I've done all year? I cant see everyone who's qualified turning up though, some are from Ireland and one is in Australia - long way to come for the day!

As for the show element, I believe Neil @Nasco is exhibiting, he might know more than I do?

I don't expect any of you to turn up, everyone's lives are busy, let alone work loads. But even if the "show" is a bit weak, we can retire to the pub afterwards where I would be happy to buy a round or two. Lets face it, I wont be winning, my video editing skills far exceed my operating ability. If the competition was to see who could set out, dig and pour footings in the fastest time, I'd be in with a shout. But its likely that one of the guys who solely drive for a living will take the crown. Its all they do all day.
 
Furniss

Furniss

Well-known member
I believe we all drive what's there - probably something Hitachi as they are a sponsor and its in O'Briens quarry who are big Hitachi users. Details about the day are very thin on the ground, I've only been told the date so far. No idea what machines we will be driving, hopefully a variety as that will play better into my hands than just a 13tonner. Think putting a pallet 3 stories up onto a loading bay with a telehandler and getting the bloody thing back down again would suit the men from the boys but I imagine
@Routy56 I am going to ask about getting some fans (family) in FOC. Druid can play the grandfather role 😆 Whoever wants to wear a wig and play "mum" is up for grabs!
@doobin I intend on going, but only if they pay a deposit first 🤪 Got to be worth a stab at the £10k and its only in Luton. Could be the best bit of contracting I've done all year? I cant see everyone who's qualified turning up though, some are from Ireland and one is in Australia - long way to come for the day!

As for the show element, I believe Neil @Nasco is exhibiting, he might know more than I do?

I don't expect any of you to turn up, everyone's lives are busy, let alone work loads. But even if the "show" is a bit weak, we can retire to the pub afterwards where I would be happy to buy a round or two. Lets face it, I wont be winning, my video editing skills far exceed my operating ability. If the competition was to see who could set out, dig and pour footings in the fastest time, I'd be in with a shout. But its likely that one of the guys who solely drive for a living will take the crown. Its all they do all day.
I would of thought so too - I know my skills arent as finely honed as they were when I sat in the machine a lot more but then isnt the idea is to find the best driver (if thats even possible in the scope of the competition 🤷‍♂️ ) not the best all rounder/owner driver.
I mean lets face it, there could only be one winner in a "U.K's best owner driver" competition :unsure:and its not you Ollie :)
 
B

bobthebuilder

Well-known member
I would of thought so too - I know my skills arent as finely honed as they were when I sat in the machine a lot more but then isnt the idea is to find the best driver (if thats even possible in the scope of the competition 🤷‍♂️ ) not the best all rounder/owner driver.
I mean lets face it, there could only be one winner in a "U.K's best owner driver" competition :unsure:and its not you Ollie :)
thank you for that ,i knew i was good :p:p:p:p:p
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
I would of thought so too - I know my skills arent as finely honed as they were when I sat in the machine a lot more but then isnt the idea is to find the best driver (if thats even possible in the scope of the competition 🤷‍♂️ ) not the best all rounder/owner driver.
I mean lets face it, there could only be one winner in a "U.K's best owner driver" competition :unsure:and its not you Ollie :)

But it also depends on the context.
There is a huge difference between a 75t demo machine and a 1.5t digging service trenches in the road.
I watched 2 50t kobelcos the other day stripping topsoil with 12ft buckets. That takes a lot of skill but they where in a 50 acre field with no obstacles to hit.
Likewise i watched a 1t digging out a footpath where it was unable to slew so had to load the dumper by twisting the kingpost.
How do you compare these things.

I do atleast think they should bury a load of clay but ducting back fill with skip waste and ask the operators to dig a trench without damaging the clay pipe and give them a banksman with unlimited gb of internet on there phone.

And don't allow them a slinger and get them lifting a pile of random junk off a lorry.
These are real world situations.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I would of thought so too - I know my skills arent as finely honed as they were when I sat in the machine a lot more but then isnt the idea is to find the best driver (if thats even possible in the scope of the competition 🤷‍♂️ ) not the best all rounder/owner driver.
I mean lets face it, there could only be one winner in a "U.K's best owner driver" competition :unsure:and its not you Ollie :)
and he don't get in here any more :( ... and no I didn't mean ***** :);) .... Rob's mainly FB and twatter these days :rolleyes:;)
 
Routy56

Routy56

Well-known member
Appreciate your update @Gunners as above :)
Still tempted to come along and give SWMBO a weekend away.
Sharon did say, "Don't expect me to stand around watching machines in the pouring rain" 🤣
Now I don't mind any of that, but it will be great to meet up with a few of you old farts and support Ollie.
Perhaps we should have a "PlantTalk" badge or baseball cap so we actually recognise each other amongst all the other guys 🤠
Once you get an idea of what is expected, then no doubt you'll let us all know.
But as an owner/operator I think that you are in with a chance 😉
 
T whiting

T whiting

Well-known member

Screenshot_20210903-132148~2.png

Is that's how you do it @Gunners ? Sent a video on for heat 5 and I was invited to the final next day 🤷‍♂️
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
Think yourself lucky that Earnest Doe’s old demonstrator (can’t remember his name) isn’t still about. He could take the paint off the counterweight without (completely) losing his false teeth. Winner.
 
JD450A

JD450A

Moderattor🐾
Think yourself lucky that Earnest Doe’s old demonstrator (can’t remember his name) isn’t still about. He could take the paint off the counterweight without (completely) losing his false teeth. Winner.
This fella was fair good at that sort of Cuntery

Anyway I'm fair certain in a few years time I could well be the UK's top Plant operator.....
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20170607_115305.jpg
    IMG_20170607_115305.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 153
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
This fella was fair good at that sort of Cuntery

Anyway I'm fair certain in a few years time I could well be the UK's top Plant operator.....
A trainer I knew at Bircham said Doe’s and Ffrench’s demonstrators were a nightmare for them, every spotty teenager who turned up for training used ask how to perform those stunts before they could even hit the ground with the bucket.
 
Left hooker

Left hooker

Well-known member
Think yourself lucky that Earnest Doe’s old demonstrator (can’t remember his name) isn’t still about. He could take the paint off the counterweight without (completely) losing his false teeth. Winner.
Doug potter
 
Top