Crane thing

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

That's interesting I remember when i was kid a local 6 wheel tipper truck a maybe it was a dodge that had some sort of I think 2 stroke diesel in it.
Noisy as hell revving its nuts off pulling up a local hill , you didn't need to see it to know who it was.

Whatever it was it was always referred by people who "I assumed knew " as that will be "tommy" in his that Chinese 6 !! Now knowing nothing better I sort of assumed the engine was in some way connected to china , by design , manufacturer or partnership although this was 40 years ago and thinking about it now that was highly unlikely in the late 70's early 80" to have any connection like that but know know better it made some sense back then .
So googling it today comes up with little other than your explanation confirmed that i found on a Mack forum
quote : "While the Brits called them a Chinese Six because there was a time in the UK when anything the opposite of normal was termed Chinese"
However I never heard that phrase used to describe anything else than that truck
I reckon you may be thinking of a Commer two stroke?

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
I reckon you may be thinking of a Commer two stroke?
aye ... old Commer knocker ..... weird engine note to them ... but doubt it in " the late 70's early 80s " more likely a CAT / Detroit 2t :rolleyes:

modelman093

modelman093

That's interesting I remember when i was kid a local 6 wheel tipper truck a maybe it was a dodge that had some sort of I think 2 stroke diesel in it.
Noisy as hell revving its nuts off pulling up a local hill , you didn't need to see it to know who it was.

Whatever it was it was always referred by people who "I assumed knew " as that will be "tommy" in his that Chinese 6 !! Now knowing nothing better I sort of assumed the engine was in some way connected to china , by design , manufacturer or partnership although this was 40 years ago and thinking about it now that was highly unlikely in the late 70's early 80" to have any connection like that but know know better it made some sense back then .
So googling it today comes up with little other than your explanation confirmed that i found on a Mack forum
quote : "While the Brits called them a Chinese Six because there was a time in the UK when anything the opposite of normal was termed Chinese"
However I never heard that phrase used to describe anything else than that truck
Not quite a truck, the Bedford VAL coach !

modelman093

modelman093

aye ... old Commer knocker ..... weird engine note to them ... but doubt it in " the late 70's early 80s " more likely a CAT / Detroit 2t :rolleyes:
The Commer TS3 certainly had a sound of its own but as you say , with that date span , more likely to have been a Fogden or Detroit two stroke.
Should add that a Cat or Cummins with a Jake brake could rattle a bit!

Last edited: