Builders Licence

J

Jimoz

Pricework is the biggest cause of shit work, although to be fair the clowns that are there on day work aren't much better. Problem is with the speed they want them building, alot of large companies will just take anyone with a CSCS card to do whatever the job is. The cards don't really mean anything except someone has paid for the course/test and more than likely being led/prompted for the answers due to the trainer's not getting paid or bonuses.
Have seen some truly shocking work on site (don't go on very often) walls starting with a 128mm cavity then being 100mm by top of door opening, steels being fitted to find out the whole house is a course out from each opening, brickwork that steps in as it's out of plumb, let alone when down/uplighters are fitted that the wall looks like a game of Jenga, the chippies aren't much better and have even heard the plasterers say just easifill and sand the wall and that was in a brand new building
It's definitely unrealistic timescales. That's what knackers this game. I've worked on some student digs this year my god was it a joke. Think i've got some photos on my phone. Don't know the BCO but they weren't getting paid for much. First floor joists on a wall plate with the rest of the whole buildings blockwork (3storeys) built off that, just because they were 2" different to where the old floor was. Client pushes for ridiculous timescale, contractor agrees then its just madness and rough arse ness. I'm building a newun now people ask me when it will be done I say spring/summer. I'm not going to fantasise about some specific day then rush like mad to get it done

M

mart1602

if your a good tradesman and have pride in your work ,price work/timescale doesnt come into it.if a good job is done no one askes how long it took they ask who did it ,same goes for shit work

B

Brendan

This is true, apart from when, 1, they need something doing ASAP, because they’ve f@#ked up and need getting to be getting back on program or 2, it’s a weekend and it’s just a case of crack on and get the job done.
Amazing how they all conveniently have a staff meeting off site, when they know very dangerous stuff is being done in the aid of keeping their job on time

Komatsu

Komatsu

Amazing how they all conveniently have a staff meeting off site, when they know very dangerous stuff is being done in the aid of keeping their job on time
😂😂..nail, head!!...so many stories!!

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Worse than I remembered 1" low so stick a 2" wall plate on and notch an inch out the joists. This is a respected regional outfit too
OMFn'G :oops::oops::oops::eek: