Budget and red diesel restrictions

P

powercom

Its that time of year when the Governments rumor machine is in top gear producing pre-budget rumors to condition us to what may or may not happen in the budget.

The latest one seem to be the proposed imitation or exclusion of the use of red diesel in everything other than farming , we will have to see if anything comes of that in due course .

But other than the increased cost of fueling machine on derv what changes do you think it would it be likely to make to construction use ?

I'm wondering if there would be more off road highway type trucks used as opposed to ADT's like you see in some of mainland Europe because they provide better MPG or more tractor and trailers used on the highway but using derv instead of Red diesel ?

I would imagine there would be a sharp increase in Customs and excise dipping tanks on tractors with low loader trailers on the road , and a tightening up of the meaning of "agricultural" in transport terms that is probably a good thing.

Furniss

Furniss

The scrapping of our "Gasoil non routier" (red diesel) is happening here this year - not sure how its going to be implemented.

In out Brexit - Frexit - not going to change much.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
well farmers'll make a killing selling red on for sure ...... RDCO dept in HMRC'll have to shed 90% of their 1000+ strong admin team in Neeecestle and C&E'll have to invest some serious bucks in enlarging their fleet of vehicles for detection / roadside checks, etc.
Oh an' every one'll have to buy a traccy :giggle::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

F

fred

just buy heating oil instead. they wont be scrapping that unless they want to freeze to death anyone not on mains gas.

S

Steve

I don't think it would be a bad thing to stop the use of red diesel altogether.

Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

I don't think it would be a bad thing to stop the use of red diesel altogether.
Works in theory, business users could offset the fuel cost against tax.
Environmentally it would be a disaster …......…. can you imagine how much valuable road fuel would be spilt from machinery on site by thieves ?

P

powercom

I think in parts of europe there could be only 1 fuel type available ie derv but approved users ie farmers can claim back the tax like they do with vat although quite how that works with a farmer who has trucks or diggers i'm not sure so maybe the dyed option is better here. .
on a practical level quarried stone etc would cost more and lockable fuel caps and super high security site bowsers would be a must

R

Russell

I couldn't care less if they banned red all together. It would only affect the farmers/dodgy people and the big boys. All of which are in a better position to adjust than the average Joe.

S

Steve

Everyone would be competing on a level playing field with no one being subsidised & no need for customs to be tank dipping. The end product would just cost more.

D

DaveDCB

How can they police it? I mean unless they are going to turn up on my sites and dip tanks? They are gonna need a warrant given its private land?

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Legally it's already Illegal to run a tractor/trailer that is used outside of Ag/forestry/horticulture on Red.

I can't see them policing it R.E off road use. Very complicated and will be told to get f***ed a lot 😂

Regy53

Regy53

I like cake
On the canal no retailer of fuel wants to get involved because they can’t compete with fuel stations. Which means a lot more people filling up via cans and more pollution for the canals and wildlife as people spill. Red tanks will always show traces of red diesel in.
It’s a bit crazy. Rather unplanned.

I don’t need to buy fuel for the boat as I get it free from work . Having never bought red diesel in my working life we simply get to many machines with diesel in that we drain if we need it. So I’m just going to hope the boat police dont catch me if they do I could say it’s still in from last year? Crazy times

V8Druid

V8Druid

On the canal no retailer of fuel wants to get involved because they can’t compete with fuel stations. Which means a lot more people filling up via cans and more pollution for the canals and wildlife as people spill. Red tanks will always show traces of red diesel in.
It’s a bit crazy. Rather unplanned.

I don’t need to buy fuel for the boat as I get it free from work . Having never bought red diesel in my working life we simply get to many machines with diesel in that we drain if we need it. So I’m just going to hope the boat police dont catch me if they do I could say it’s still in from last year? Crazy times
red diesel is also being scraped from canal boats. God knows how thats going to work
red has been a no no for propulsion on canals since 2008 ....... but can be used for heating on canal boats .... like everyone installed a secondary tank :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ... used to sell a lot of red to boaters and just receipted it as heating oil (which gas oil is) ..... wasn't up to me to police it ... :rolleyes::giggle: was enough of a faff being registered as a dealer in the RDCO system anyway ... slightest error in the paperwork got you a 200 quid fine instantly :mad::mad:

V8Druid

V8Druid

Legally it's already Illegal to run a tractor/trailer that is used outside of Ag/forestry/horticulture on Red.

I can't see them policing it R.E off road use. Very complicated and will be told to get f***ed a lot 😂
IF it becomes AG use only .. nothing else .. it would be easy to police ... if you have red in any tank .. private land or not and it's not being used for purely AG ... they'll have you by the balls whether it's in your digger, roller, whacker plate, steam cleaner or space heater ..... would be easier to abolish altogether and let the Giles,s claim duty back off derv ....... as said

and they could do away with the whole RDCO system altogether ... be a couple of thousand bodies' wages saved instantly .... and'd fk all them running on red in their cars

V8Druid

V8Druid

How can they police it? I mean unless they are going to turn up on my sites and dip tanks? They are gonna need a warrant given its private land?
nope ....... customs and excise have more power than anyone in the country ...... can turn up, padlock your premises and close you down instantly .... you DO NOT wanna piss them off .... basically guilty 'til proven innocent with those buggers