Brake fluid🤔

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
I have a thwaites dumper that will have mineral brake fluid but I want to put a master cylinder that has had DOT 5 in will I need to replace the seals and if I do will I need special ones?
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
After a brief skim all that jumps out at me is don’t mix dot5 whatever you do…. But that’s not really what your asking…

I guess if you strip the cylinder and clean it out it will be fine?

 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Not that simple. The seals are different for DOT 4 and 5. You might find the seals will swell.
Bugger😡 where would you get seals that are DOT5 compatible that clearly come from a DOT4 system
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
Might have something. Depends where you acquired the master cylinder from ;)
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
Most (but not all) DOT5 is silicon


@Mogman - do you want to use a DOT fluid or a mineral oil?
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Most (but not all) DOT5 is silicon


@Mogman - do you want to use a DOT fluid or a mineral oil
Yes got a project in my head where I need to fit DOT master cylinder to the dumper that will have mineral oil in the axle brakes🤔
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
I can't imagine that machine makers went to the effort of having special seals in the master cylinder and then fitted a cap that says "use dot 4".
My guess is that mineral oil would be fine , the problems we all remember were when people obeyed the instructions on the lid and brake fluid ended up in a mineral oil only axle brake system 🤔
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Is it worth taking the two axles to just change the seals, why can’t you get a replacement master cylinder, and use 32hv oil in the system!
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Does it say girling on the cap under where the paper cover should be, that says use mineral oil only!
 
D

DaveDCB

Well-known member
I can't imagine that machine makers went to the effort of having special seals in the master cylinder and then fitted a cap that says "use dot 4".
My guess is that mineral oil would be fine , the problems we all remember were when people obeyed the instructions on the lid and brake fluid ended up in a mineral oil only axle brake system 🤔
Dot5 is silicone based, thus the seals cannot be silicone or they react and break down. Probably anything that uses dot4/5.1 etc has silicone somewhere in the seals thus meaning you can’t use dot5
So maybe given that ramble you’d be fine using a dot5 cylinder with any other type of fluid? 🤔
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
I can't imagine that machine makers went to the effort of having special seals in the master cylinder and then fitted a cap that says "use dot 4".
My guess is that mineral oil would be fine , the problems we all remember were when people obeyed the instructions on the lid and brake fluid ended up in a mineral oil only axle brake system 🤔
Not one to guess about. In the dim and distant when I was over in Africa, we had the wrong fluid put in a Land Cruiser and within 10 miles the seals in the calipers had swelled and jammed the brakes on. Can’t remember which way round we got it wrong unfortunately.
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
It’s going to be much less hassle filling a master cylinder with the correct mineral oil for the axles and finding out the master cylinder doesn’t like, than it is the other way round.
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Does it say girling on the cap under where the paper cover should be, that says use mineral oil only!
I will have a look tomorrow
it’s not a major problem🤔 (think there may well be bigger things to get around) but just want to know which way to go about it🤔

just as a teaser🤞 this is the next ‘big‘ project

Going to mount this cab
715F8592-88FF-4417-A8CF-E0C02F09DCC1.jpeg

onto this dumper
12E8D9F8-A2B5-47B1-9D1D-C7AEB22ADEF2.jpeg

wish me luck😂😂
 
Mick-the-fitter

Mick-the-fitter

It’s what I do!
Reshape the hydraulic and fuel tanks, or chop a bit out of the door glass!
 
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Should be quite easy to fit on the front end.
Yea mounting is the easy bit👍 but i want the cab to tilt like this one does and be rubber mounted😉
F0808208-ABCD-4ABC-80D4-2ED96831FC9C.jpeg

7645ACC8-AF8B-4AAE-9CB8-99E92965E95F.jpeg

it’s the outher bits🤔 as I’m not just cutting the floor out of the cab and plonking it onto what is on the dumper😳, I want to use the steering from the cab and as it was hydro static it needs a clutch peddle fitting too
 
Top