Boiler problems

S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member
The pump is working. Its pulling fuel up, but with a load of air. Think these boilers have a built-in none return valve.
What boiler do you have? If you are getting air in on a suction system you have a bad joint somewhere.
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
The pump is working. Its pulling fuel up, but with a load of air. Think these boilers have a built-in none return valve.
if you have air in the line feeding the pump it will cavitate and never clear the air bubble in the line ... try my previous suggestion of manually filling it via port
 
diggerjones

diggerjones

Well-known member
I've had a pipe p
if you have air in the line feeding the pump it will cavitate and never clear the air bubble in the line ... try my previous suggestion of manually filling it via port
I understand now.
 
S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member
if you have airir in the line feeding the pump it will cavitate and never clear the air bubble in the line ... try my previous suggestion of manually filling it via port
Nah. If its on single supply it will need bleeding through the pressure port with a manifold or dragging through with suction pump. If dragging air will be easy to see as HRM use a clear flexible on the supply. If thats pulling air then the line is compromised by either blocked filters/failed fire valve and or leaking joints.

PS. Rather s**t in my hands and clap than work on an HRM wall hung boiler! (sorry @diggerjones !)
 
S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member
Once had the joy of working on a wall hung grandee boiler as an apprentice 😵‍💫
I fitted one for a family member back around 2004. I still have trauma. We refuse to work on Grandee, and fortunately not many HRM in our area.
 
B

bobthebuilder

Well-known member
Just took flexi feed pipe off and filled with oil. Put it back on and no difference
have you a length of clear plastic pie you can put on the end of feed pipe ,and suck it thru ,sounds like an airlock in the oil feed pipe ,?
 
diggerjones

diggerjones

Well-known member
Nah. If its on single supply it will need bleeding through the pressure port with a manifold or dragging through with suction pump. If dragging air will be easy to see as HRM use a clear flexible on the supply. If thats pulling air then the line is compromised by either blocked filters/failed fire valve and or leaking joints.

PS. Rather s**t in my hands and clap than work on an HRM wall hung boiler! (sorry @diggerjones !)
It's been a good boiler to be fair. With the burner bit outside it's handy in this scenario.
Would it be possible that because the tank is half full and I've had the feed pipe off I've caused a air lock that I will never remove unless I fill tank or use a suction pump
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Nah. If its on single supply it will need bleeding through the pressure port with a manifold or dragging through with suction pump. If dragging air will be easy to see as HRM use a clear flexible on the supply. If thats pulling air then the line is compromised by either blocked filters/failed fire valve and or leaking joints.

PS. Rather s**t in my hands and clap than work on an HRM wall hung boiler! (sorry @diggerjones !)
makes sense .... although surely the NRV should stop any run back long enough to fill that line from bleed port? .. seems to me that it's basically air locked and with the pump above the air bubble in the clear line it has no chance of sucking fuel up to clear the air .. kero pumps won't pump/suck air / create a vacuum :(:(
 
B

bobthebuilder

Well-known member
i have one of these type of things as i have a customer who runs out of oil and airlocks the feed pipe
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2024-12-09 21.34.00.png
    Screenshot 2024-12-09 21.34.00.png
    356.7 KB · Views: 128
B

bobthebuilder

Well-known member
It's been a good boiler to be fair. With the burner bit outside it's handy in this scenario.
Would it be possible that because the tank is half full and I've had the feed pipe off I've caused a air lock that I will never remove unless I fill tank or use a suction pump
airline and blow it back thru to tank ?
 
S

Stroppymonkey

Well-known member
makes sense .... although surely the NRV should stop any run back long enough to fill that line from bleed port? .. seems to me that it's basically air locked and with the pump above the air bubble in the clear line it has no chance of sucking fuel up to clear the air .. kero pumps won't pump/suck air / create a vacuum :(:(
Indeed , although @diggerjones said it’s sucking air I think ? He could only know this if it’s visible on clear flexible hose prior to oil pump.

Suggest it’s time for a specialist? Depends how the other occupants of property feel about lack of heating / hot water!
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
It's been a good boiler to be fair. With the burner bit outside it's handy in this scenario.
Would it be possible that because the tank is half full and I've had the feed pipe off I've caused a air lock that I will never remove unless I fill tank or use a suction pump
really depends on the head - differential between the top of the level in the tank and the height at which the pump is sat -- might just be possible if they're close to the same level I 'spose
 
Top