Avant / Multione Wheeled Loaders

GazCro

GazCro

followed one back from Hereford the other day ....... oh for a Stinger to blast it out the way .... barely making 12mph ...... 'kin painful to be behind for 5 miles
Local builder has a little merlo which does 40k (only on flat with a tail wind) handy tool if you're jobs are close enough to home to suit it which his are. I used to think his merlo was dear until this thread came along.

Gunners

Gunners

Rory is right, those little telehandlers are not for off road. Probably fine running on hardcore on site but as soon as it gets soft they sink.
Used one for a couple of weeks as a loader/ forklift on this Sang project in 2019. Learnt quite quickly that is wasn't the right tool for the job and it mainly got used to load a dumper at the stockpile after this pic was taken.
I had all these grand ideas about using one machine to run type 1 across the field to this path, the bucket would be more accurate to tip into smaller piles for the digger to just level.... It didn't work, no substitute for a digger scooping out of a dumper placing material. Still we live and learn.
Luckily the bucket on the front was also very handy at getting yourself unstuck when you did sink! And you can grade your ruts out from a distance - bonus!

Attachments

• 2019-04-10 16.21.22.jpg
    2019-04-10 16.21.22.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 141
J

Jimoz

Why are straight masts on a articulated dumper type chassis not a thing nowadays? The only ones you see are ancient. Jcb straight masts are good but last time I hired one I think it was about 6t. Obviously straight forklift a lot less versatile but surely they would be cheaper.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Why are straight masts on a articulated dumper type chassis not a thing nowadays? The only ones you see are ancient. Jcb straight masts are good but last time I hired one I think it was about 6t. Obviously straight forklift a lot less versatile but surely they would be cheaper.
RT FLTs're a thing of the past compared to teles

T whiting

T whiting

Those small handlers are utter dogshit in the rough too.... low ground clearance and very high PSI..... Baby wheel loaders are mint.

It all depends on what tyres there on I've seen the Wackers on narrow high psi tires that are useless on anything softer than type 1 but they also do a wide low profile tyre and with those on it'll nearly walk on water it was making less mess than a 1.5 in a soft field

doobin

doobin

Ok, how did I manage without it?

Just been out on site with it. Cleft chestnut fencing on a bit of a slope but piss easy sandy ground, although with a few lumps of iron ore and plenty of tree roots. We used the Kelfri log grab to pick up the bundles of posts and rails and drop them out, as well as moving bundles of old fencing. Then the pallet forks to carry our hydraulic powerpack and breaker gun to the middle of each run (used for tamping round posts). Then stuck the 12" auger on and let her rip. Took a bit of getting used to (too much downforce and you'll lift the front enough for it to skip over, which is very disconcerting on a slope!) But man it's quick. High flow was brilliant.

46 bays with two men in under 7 hours. 134m of cleft chestnut installed.

Previously we'd do it all with a digger plus auger, and marvel about how quick we were compared to the old boys doing it by hand. But this is a huge leap forward again. It's being able to handle piles of materials quickly that makes the most difference- no more handballing into a dumper or pickup. No need to empty everything out of the truck to use it to carry materials, or make a seperate trip with a dumper. There wasn't a mark in the field either. Very very impressed.

Being a ton lighter than the E27 also makes for a nicer towing experience.

M

Monkeybusiness

Ok, how did I manage without it?

Just been out on site with it. Cleft chestnut fencing on a bit of a slope but piss easy sandy ground, although with a few lumps of iron ore and plenty of tree roots. We used the Kelfri log grab to pick up the bundles of posts and rails and drop them out, as well as moving bundles of old fencing. Then the pallet forks to carry our hydraulic powerpack and breaker gun to the middle of each run (used for tamping round posts). Then stuck the 12" auger on and let her rip. Took a bit of getting used to (too much downforce and you'll lift the front enough for it to skip over, which is very disconcerting on a slope!) But man it's quick. High flow was brilliant.

46 bays with two men in under 7 hours. 134m of cleft chestnut installed.

Previously we'd do it all with a digger plus auger, and marvel about how quick we were compared to the old boys doing it by hand. But this is a huge leap forward again. It's being able to handle piles of materials quickly that makes the most difference- no more handballing into a dumper or pickup. No need to empty everything out of the truck to use it to carry materials, or make a seperate trip with a dumper. There wasn't a mark in the field either. Very very impressed.

Being a ton lighter than the E27 also makes for a nicer towing experience.
I’ve used an Avant a few times for shifting timber and the lack of any mess at all blows me away every time!!!

doobin

doobin

Fair play. How long would it have took you with digger the old way?
Hard to say. I reckon it saved us at least three hours laying out all the posts and moving the old ones, an hour by being faster on the auger and probably another hour running stuff about. Just a more pleasant experience overall really.

We wouldn't have finished in a day with the E27, and it's much more effort to tow.

R

rossandson

That’s a telehandler. This is a transportable mini loader/tool carrier. There’s a huge difference. For me, a telehandler's capacity and reach is not needed. What I do need is offroad capability, able to transport on a trailer, able to carry a ton comfortably and a good flow rate for things like a pecker. You'd never put a pecker on a telehandler would you? Not what it was built for.

I tried the 4 in 1 bucket out- that's gonna take me some practice! :oops:

You definitely picked the right tool for the job. Everyone I spoke to before I placed my order for an Avant said once you get it you will be surprised what you can and will use it for once you get it. Plus the attachments lists are endless! 😜

doobin

doobin

Well it turned what would have been a two day job with digger and power barrow into home by three.

I took the micro there on the Iveco and the MO in the trailer with digger buckets and pallet forks in the loader bucket. Any loss of efficiency from the smaller digger was more than offset by being able to pull it out into a windrow, then scoop up and tip exactly where I wanted it. I can’t believe what a difference this made. The most painful part of driving a micro is the slow slewing round with a tiny bucket and lack of height/reach when dumping- all I had to to here was grub it out.

Then six bulk bags in through a tight corner access with the only drama being the shitty state of the bags 🙄

Day rate hire before anyone comments upon lack of sub base.
FD720AD3-388B-44C0-A658-F2DA50B00331.jpeg
FA06DFA4-FD24-4D06-B947-6B1BE6FB4A76.jpeg
E2E866E6-8BB2-4D74-93DC-6F9734DBEDAC.jpeg

R

Russell

Here's a question for you.
If you had a micro, only, what would be the biggest money spinner/ useful ground work machine? A loader or a 2-2.7ton digger?
Also what is the capacity of the bucket on the multi one? I assume if it lifts over a ton then 0.5m3 or more?

Last edited:
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well it turned what would have been a two day job with digger and power barrow into home by three.

I took the micro there on the Iveco and the MO in the trailer with digger buckets and pallet forks in the loader bucket. Any loss of efficiency from the smaller digger was more than offset by being able to pull it out into a windrow, then scoop up and tip exactly where I wanted it. I can’t believe what a difference this made. The most painful part of driving a micro is the slow slewing round with a tiny bucket and lack of height/reach when dumping- all I had to to here was grub it out.

Then six bulk bags in through a tight corner access with the only drama being the shitty state of the bags 🙄

Day rate hire before anyone comments upon lack of sub base.
View attachment 26524View attachment 26526View attachment 26525
Beginning to see why those command the price they do😎

doobin

doobin

Here's a question for you.
If you had a micro, only, what would be the biggest money spinner/ useful ground work machine? A loader or a 2-2.7ton digger?
Also what is the capacity of the bucket on the multi one? I assume if it lifts over a ton then 0.5m3 or more?

Early days but I reckon I wouldn’t be able to do without either!

As regards machine sizings- the micro was only paired with the loader due to transport considerations. Usually I’d envisage it being paired with a larger machine.

If most of your work is micro work, I’d be tempted to look at a smaller stand on skid steer. Many of the benefits would still apply, and you would ace the narrow access jobs with no sweat. A few other attachments such as a grapple and breaker would be much less investment than a 2.7t machine and would make more money. You could offer a really comprehensive domestic groundworks package, and hire in a 2t if the job warranted it.

I find I need all machines to cover all bases, but if you are already narrow access specific then I’d be tempted to keep that niche, although a mini skid steer would allow you to do slightly larger jobs. Remember, mini diggers are peanuts to hire but loaders big bucks. What sort of jobs are you currently doing? Finance is cheap currently… 😉

Re bucket size-the 4in1 has more capacity than the standard bucket. I’m sure I remember @anthonyholmes saying earlier in this thread that he got 5 2.7t buckets into the loader bucket. I barely get 5 micro buckets! Maybe he’s got a high capacity bucket. Mine is the largest 4in1 at 1500mm wide, rated at 385l so maybe .4m3 heaped?

I wouldn’t be without the 4in1 now- starting to master it 😜

S

Smiffy

Is the aux completely independent or is it a change over from the crowd ram like a loader tractor ??

doobin

doobin

Is the aux completely independent or is it a change over from the crowd ram like a loader tractor ??
Joystick has two up/down toggles- one for boom and one for aux.

Not proportional though 🙄 I can live with it but for the money they charge it really ought to be. Anyone know if Avant auxiliaries are proportional?