Avant / Multione Wheeled Loaders

R

rossandson

Morning all! I’ve toyed with the idea of an Avant for sometime now as they look smart, plenty of attachments available and size benefits but have never been able to justify the price/think where I’d get work for it.

I’ve just taken on a project which is due to start in 3-4 months time, which will go on for a number of months with additional work to be added no doubt. Involving plenty of moving of blocks, supplies, bulk bags, loose stone and some lifting/lowering of pits/break testers.

So originally I was looking at an Avant 635, can lift a ton and is fairly compact, can fit on a plant trailer with attachment etc. But then I started thinking well actually if you are continually lifting a ton, actually maybe it should be a Avant 755 as you get more options as standard, admittedly the price jumps up but you can then lift 1.4t, more hydraulic flow, bigger tank for larger attachments to almost future proof it, along with plenty of add-on options and make it useful afterwards, not only this one job in mind. As having spoken to people before who have one, they say you will do work or take on work you would never have thought of before. 🤷‍♂️ this is yet to be seen but I can understand where they are coming from as it is a tool with many uses. (They even do a beehive mover 🐝 ha! Niche market 🙈)

Then I started looking at the MultiOne loaders, they pop up here and there on adverts on social media. I have been warned off them by a couple of people admittedly as apparently not as good as an Avant, yet they are cheaper so I presume this is to be expected? Having never seen one in the flesh or driven a Multione I can’t comment any further than that though....

I have also considered a Wacker TH412 also but I feel it is not quite as versatile as an Avant, can lift a little higher but also the price tag is higher with that. Along I thought how about a full size telehandler, I could pick up a second hand one, slightly older for less money but it would be too big for some of the work on this project, which then when you consider I can’t tow/move it myself and again not as versatile or useful for other work, that puts the brakes on that idea.

I do like that you can upgrade the Avant Warranty from 3yrs to 5yrs also. Which in my opinion not a lot of money for that extra piece of mind.

Lastly yes I could hire in a machine, but this is a long project and the money actually will heavily contribute towards the chosen machine. Plus I hate hiring kit and having it sitting around not working, much prefer to invest into my own kit.

Right I have waffled on for long enough but I suppose the big question is does anyone run an Avant or Multione loader? How you find them using every day and are they worth it?

Attachments

• FCFFA7DB-27EE-4A2D-A5B8-1ABCFC404CEC.jpeg
    FCFFA7DB-27EE-4A2D-A5B8-1ABCFC404CEC.jpeg
    358.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 1967D22F-CAE1-45A7-BCB4-20528F4D5437.jpeg
    1967D22F-CAE1-45A7-BCB4-20528F4D5437.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 201
  • 1C2C2E08-CD43-486D-BB56-3EEFE9F7D03D.jpeg
    1C2C2E08-CD43-486D-BB56-3EEFE9F7D03D.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 206
TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Haven’t run or driven any of the machines. Just some thoughts. I had a Tele handler that when I was doing groundwork’s the clients thought I could just nip in and do a lift for a few minutes. They didn’t want to pay to hire the machine for day if they thought I could just “leave” it there and charge a bit for my time. So make sure you can define how it will be charged especially if you have over machines you are working on the job.

Giles

Giles

Aiden has a multione @CPS

ive been looking for years for a used avant at ok money they dont exist arb lads snap them up for silly money, new is the way to go

i bought a skidsteer as i couldnt get an avant and regretted it should have just used the mibey from skid steer as down payment and bought avant would have been a handy tool to have. The new towable telehandlers though are game changer i think, yes there will be that odd job where the avant will fit and the tele wont but in general having that extra lift and reach would pay off

M

Maxus

I worked for a landscaping company that used an avant. Not sure what model but could be towed on a tri axle ifor Williams. Bloody handy machine. As an example I watched the owner prep a playing field for turf and prep large areas on commercial and large domestic projects for grass seeding. You couldn't do that on a skid steer due a to lack of articulation when turning.

Depends what you do I suppose.... but I was impressed by the versatility.

GazCro

GazCro

With all the small loaders you do have to be realistic about the lift capacity mind. As soon as you're not on flat level ground you lose a lot. Those little wacker handlers are great in the right job but imo too expensive. They'll pick up a pack on dense blocks if ground is flat but as soon as you get off the level they'll pick a wheel up. Having said that when you get blocks delivered to site you can always get delivery driver to half packs if you've plenty pallets. If access isn't the issue I'd look at a proper size telehandler tbh that you can either pay someone to move site to site or if you're not to far from yard drive to site.

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Cannot get over the money these sort of machines are fetching atm😳

GazCro

GazCro

You do also have to think about what the bulk of you're work will be for one. It's OK saying they don't lift a lot etc but landscaping companies can cope with lower lift capacities for the fact you can drive about on grass/softer surfaces without making a mess. Try taking a full size handler off hardcore unless there's a drought.

craig

craig

I dont think there is a lot of difference between the avant and multione, have a look on arbtalk there is a thread for multione owners. Have you considered Norcar, imo a better option than either the avant/multione, and as a bonus you sit on the correct half :D I think @Grahams has one.
The wacker th412 looks a handy tool, but I believe if you up spec them with the bigger engine, its too heavy to be legal on a normal plant trailer (might be OK on an aluminium one)

R

Russell

Bobcat now do a compact wheel loader.
I was looking at the avants, I think they are all 20hp until you get to the 750 and then it's 50 or 60 hp but £40k++

Last edited:
R

rossandson

Bobcat now do a compact wheel loader.
I was looking at the avants, I think they are all 20hp until you get to the 750 and then it's 50 or 60 hp but £40k++
Yes 200 series to 600 series are 20-26hp depending on model within that series.

The 700 then jumps up, so a 755/760 is 57hp along with twice the size hydraulic tank and other added benefits. 755 can lift 1.4ton, RRP £35k ish for a base model.

R

rossandson

They must have gone up 10k in the last 4/5 years 😲
I think everything has gone up, 😢

2nd hand mini telehandler like the TH412 style ones, similar brands are pretty much the samething just rebadged.

It was a Weidemann T4512 are £30k ish second hand, the one I saw was a 2015 with 1800hrs. Which is why I thought actually maybe an Avant would be more versatile and useful for my needs currently and in future.

R

Russell

Yes 200 series to 600 series are 20-26hp depending on model within that series.

The 700 then jumps up, so a 755/760 is 57hp along with twice the size hydraulic tank and other added benefits. 755 can lift 1.4ton, RRP £35k ish for a base model.
There is also be 735 model with the smaller engine.
Some prices I got last year
Avant 630 £21 000 + vat
Avant 635 £23 500 + vat
Avant 640 £25 250 + vat
Avant 735 £27 000 + vat
I think one could be really useful considering how adaptable they are.
For me (dreaming) it would be one of these or a 2+ton digger next.

Last edited:
Aw Building & Groundwork

Aw Building & Groundwork

Morning all! I’ve toyed with the idea of an Avant for sometime now as they look smart, plenty of attachments available and size benefits but have never been able to justify the price/think where I’d get work for it.

I’ve just taken on a project which is due to start in 3-4 months time, which will go on for a number of months with additional work to be added no doubt. Involving plenty of moving of blocks, supplies, bulk bags, loose stone and some lifting/lowering of pits/break testers.

So originally I was looking at an Avant 635, can lift a ton and is fairly compact, can fit on a plant trailer with attachment etc. But then I started thinking well actually if you are continually lifting a ton, actually maybe it should be a Avant 755 as you get more options as standard, admittedly the price jumps up but you can then lift 1.4t, more hydraulic flow, bigger tank for larger attachments to almost future proof it, along with plenty of add-on options and make it useful afterwards, not only this one job in mind. As having spoken to people before who have one, they say you will do work or take on work you would never have thought of before. 🤷‍♂️ this is yet to be seen but I can understand where they are coming from as it is a tool with many uses. (They even do a beehive mover 🐝 ha! Niche market 🙈)

Then I started looking at the MultiOne loaders, they pop up here and there on adverts on social media. I have been warned off them by a couple of people admittedly as apparently not as good as an Avant, yet they are cheaper so I presume this is to be expected? Having never seen one in the flesh or driven a Multione I can’t comment any further than that though....

I have also considered a Wacker TH412 also but I feel it is not quite as versatile as an Avant, can lift a little higher but also the price tag is higher with that. Along I thought how about a full size telehandler, I could pick up a second hand one, slightly older for less money but it would be too big for some of the work on this project, which then when you consider I can’t tow/move it myself and again not as versatile or useful for other work, that puts the brakes on that idea.

I do like that you can upgrade the Avant Warranty from 3yrs to 5yrs also. Which in my opinion not a lot of money for that extra piece of mind.

Lastly yes I could hire in a machine, but this is a long project and the money actually will heavily contribute towards the chosen machine. Plus I hate hiring kit and having it sitting around not working, much prefer to invest into my own kit.

Right I have waffled on for long enough but I suppose the big question is does anyone run an Avant or Multione loader? How you find them using every day and are they worth it?
I have two Th 412 and can’t speak highly enough of them. They really do punch above their weight. I tried the avants but couldn’t get on with them and on a wet cold day the Wackers cab is a real bonus. Where abouts are you? I may have one available for hire if it’s of any interest.

R

rossandson

There is also be 735 model with the smaller engine.
Some prices I got last year
Avant 630 £21 000 + vat
Avant 635 £23 500 + vat
Avant 640 £25 250 + vat
Avant 735 £27 000 + vat
I think one could be really useful considering how adaptable they are.
For me (dreaming) it would be one of these or a 2+ton digger next.
No point getting a 735 in my opinion, you want the bigger engine on the 755 or 760.

Where were those prices from by the way?