Auger hex drive Repair

honey_badger

honey_badger

Well-known member
Evening all,
Picked up an auger drive and few augers on markeplace and none of the augers match the drive unit apart from one which is broken. Got a 50mm hex on the auger and have given it a go making a hex socket out of 15x100 flat bar. Not had a chance to test it yet as ran out of mig wire on the 24th :ROFLMAO:
Thing is it took quite a while and not sure its even going to fit after i've distorted it up by welding it. Any good ideas on making these hex as i've got a few to make. Did consider buying a 'deep impact' socket on ebay and trying but would rather ask for ideas on here first.

TIA, Tom

Clamped on with shims... Hopefully it works.
IMG_3519.jpg
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Evening all,
Picked up an auger drive and few augers on markeplace and none of the augers match the drive unit apart from one which is broken. Got a 50mm hex on the auger and have given it a go making a hex socket out of 15x100 flat bar. Not had a chance to test it yet as ran out of mig wire on the 24th :ROFLMAO:
Thing is it took quite a while and not sure its even going to fit after i've distorted it up by welding it. Any good ideas on making these hex as i've got a few to make. Did consider buying a 'deep impact' socket on ebay and trying but would rather ask for ideas on here first.

TIA, Tom

Clamped on with shims... Hopefully it works.
View attachment 30869
you can buy hex socket CDS by the meter .... give a me day or so and I'll find you a supplier ... will have to look through my email archive for their name ... got about 800mm of 50mm here left over from a job ... it ain't cheap though ... IIRC was about 80 quid a metre in 2009
 
Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Well-known member
If it’s just one or two then I think the deep drive impact socket has potential. You could always put it inside a piece of thick tube? To give the whole assembly a bit more strength? And guessing you’ll need to put a hole through it too?
 
honey_badger

honey_badger

Well-known member
you can buy hex socket CDS by the meter .... give a me day or so and I'll find you a supplier ... will have to look through my email archive for their name ... got about 800mm of 50mm here left over from a job ... it ain't cheap though ... IIRC was about 80 quid a metre in 2009
That definitely sounds like it'd be worth a shot, thanks. 1 meter would do 10 attachments and would definitely save a fair few hours to just be able to cut it straight off on the bandsaw
 
honey_badger

honey_badger

Well-known member
If it’s just one or two then I think the deep drive impact socket has potential. You could always put it inside a piece of thick tube? To give the whole assembly a bit more strength? And guessing you’ll need to put a hole through it too?
That was my idea, but they're a little on the short side. And yeah would need a hole through it but suppose I could plasma the socket and do it a bit neater through the tube.
I currently have 3 augers to do and will be keeping my eye out for secondhand ones in auctions ect, as well as making a old fence winder at some point too.
 
honey_badger

honey_badger

Well-known member
Yeah seen those and also seen some on eBay called 2" hex auger drive repair or something but can only find them in the states or Oz
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Thanks I'll give them a ring too
I bought a couple of metres off them when I was making some land anchor drive tubes for a regular customer .... like a big propeller on an 8ft length of 20mm rod ... fed it into the drive tube and pinned the top end ... square drive at the propeller end and a hex to go on the polecat motor drives ... screw it into the deck and withdraw the drive tube ... straining wires for telegraph poles ... will deffo have some pix, but might take a while to find ... I'll add 'em when i can find 'em
 
TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Well-known member
Looks like a have joined that club as well with the latest acquisition from @JD450A .

will post some pics later as I am slightly ahead of the game as have an adapter from hex to square. I need to get hex to round.
 
honey_badger

honey_badger

Well-known member
Looks like a have joined that club as well with the latest acquisition from @JD450A .

will post some pics later as I am slightly ahead of the game as have an adapter from hex to square. I need to get hex to round.
I was thinking of making one adapter to square or even round and making all my augers square or round drive but would rather they were hex really
 
honey_badger

honey_badger

Well-known member
Why? Round is fine.
I didn't want to make the whole setup longer than it needs to be and if i can just keep it simple id rather do that, plus it's all on the pin.
On a 7.5 tonner but I'm sure it'd probably be ok
 
honey_badger

honey_badger

Well-known member
8693BFFA-179C-4FE5-99BA-92B58F4011F2.jpeg

Universal augers (now pro dig) sorted me out, thanks druid.
about £100 a meter so not a huge price increase from what you paid. I’ll pop a couple more photos on once I’ve got them welded up.
 
Top