Anyone using electric diggers?

doobin

doobin

I've been lucky with where I've been working so far but I'm already at the end of my tether with meeting those numptys on narrow roads who seem to think full lock is required to reverse straight back 10 yards 🙉
The pricks always do it and swing their front out blocking the road when straight back two yards and I could have passed them easily!

Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

China can't afford to go green at the moment because they are making so much money exporting to us.

Our incentives funded by the good old taxpayer have skewed the market.

From what I can see most of the renewable equipment is Chinese made.

It makes a lot of sense for them to use coal to power their economy while they can and wait to go green until it makes financial sense

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

The pricks always do it and swing their front out blocking the road when straight back two yards and I could have passed them easily!
Twice in last few weeks I've watched em try and get it into reverse....both newish mercs etc...litterally several minutes faffing with gear selector thingy...in the end other car gave up and reversed half a mile...other was in TP yard and women nearly took a lad out who has come to help her when she finally found reverse..🙉🤦‍♂️ one wonders what life's like in forward only land 🤓👌🥸

Left hooker

Left hooker

interesting article ...... particularly the bit about car body panels being developed as super capacitors for energy storage instead of batteries :unsure:
couldn't make it link sadly

"Norman Skinner
Studied Electrical Engineering (Graduated 1968)

How are capacitors better than batteries?
How are capacitors better than batteries?
Let us answer as though the question was “How are capacitors better than rechargeable batteries”.
At the present time batteries and supercapacitors are inversely equal in their capabilities. The strengths of one technology is the weakness in the other.
Some answers here say that capacitors, super or otherwise cannot be used as a voltage source. This is correct. But like a rechargeable battery, capacitors can be used for energy storage. Many reputable commercial companies are selling the bundled supercapacitor as an energy storage device just like rechargeable batteries. Here are some of them:
View attachment 25229
Photo from Maxwell.
View attachment 25230
Photo from Eaton.
View attachment 25231
Photo from Skelton.
Where the supercapacitor is better than a rechargeable battery is the following.
The supercapacitors have very fast charging times. Typically, 1 to 10 seconds compared to 10 to 60 minutes for a cell phone battery.
The recharge cycles of supercapacitors are typically 1 000 000 cycles whereas rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries max out at 1 000 recharge cycles. That is 1 000 times better.
Life time of supercapacitors is 10 to 15 years where as rechargeable lithium-ion batteries last 5 to 10 years. (never personally had a cell phone of laptop battery last more than 5 years)
In terms of specific power supercapacitors can discharge their stored capacity almost instantaneously and deliver specific power up to 10 000 Watts per kilogram. Lithium-ion batteries are at a maximum 3000 watts per kilogram.
Supercapacitors are also safer than Lithium-ion batteries (current technology, may change with future developments) as they cannot be overcharged and explode. Rechargeable batteries are prone to gassing, heating up (catch on fire) and exploding when overcharged.
Where the supercapacitor is worse than rechargeable battery is the following.
Specific energy for a supercapacitor is an average of 10 milliwatt hours per gram whereas lithium-ion has up to 300 milliwatt hours per gram.
Energy per unit volume is not good in a supercapacitor at about 15 watt hours per litre whereas a lithium-ion battery has 1200 watt hours per litre. A supercapacitor to power your smart phone would have to be 50 mm (about 2 inches) thick.
Cost is a real issue when thinking about supercapacitors. Supercapacitor cost is around $20-00 per watt whereas batteries come in about $1-00 per watt. Research is focussed in bringing down the manufacturing costs.
Another disadvantage of the supercapacitor is the severe voltage decreases as the charge diminishes. Batteries also have a voltage decrease but it is minor by comparison. Here is what happens to the voltage in both devices:
View attachment 25232
Charge-discharge voltage curves, by Elcap, via Wikimedia commons.
Here is a comparison chart of the various supercapacitor technologies, normal capacitors and lithium-ion batteries:
View attachment 25233
The supercapacitor has been used as a battery for a very long time. Since 1971 we have been using supercapacitors as the power source for maintaining computer memory. If fact the development of the supercapacitor has a long history dating back to the 1950s. In 1957 a patent was registered for an extremely high capacitance device, long before the word supercapacitor was known. Here is a time line of the development of the supercapacitor.
View attachment 25234
Just imagine if the graphene supercapacitor becomes a commercially viable technology. It has been proven as a concept and has been patented by the University of Central Florida. We could have a fully electric vehicle with the source of all the power for the vehicle built into the body panels. No large battery compartments. A 500 mile travel distance between recharges. Recharge time of 5 minutes. Oh wow, quicker than a petrol refill.
View attachment 25235
Photo from UCF
In conclusion.
The supercapacitor is better in some respects to the conventional rechargeable battery and it also has some serious disadvantages. As the supercapacitor develops it will become even better. The future of energy storage (the largest problem for renewable energy) may well be solved by the renewed development of the supercapacitor. It is already being used in major energy reserves and is being tested by Long Island Rail Road as an alternative to spinning flywheels.
Hope this answers the question.
Regards
View attachment 25236
Phone box's used huge capacitors to store electric that would come from the very small voltage in the phone line to power the over head light and phone

Bri963

Bri963

Thing is we've gone full circle and now have a conscience. They do not they are just GREEDY and want what we have and more and do not care how they achieve it.
Definitely agree with you on this!

B

bobthebuilder

did you know Eddie and Dave his biz. partner? two nice blokes (y)
my old man was eddies transport manager thru the late 60s to bankruptcy in the 70s ,often driving lorries out to saudi and back ,volvo f12s can remember the old man bringing a brand new one home,
mind you i also remeber the day of going bang ,hide everything ,bury as much as poss

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
my old man was eddies transport manager thru the late 60s to bankruptcy in the 70s ,often driving lorries out to saudi and back ,volvo f12s can remember the old man bringing a brand new one home,
mind you i also remeber the day of going bang ,hide everything ,bury as much as poss
first knew him around the time he bought the Stardust club outside Usk and when he was operating Chepstow Plant, from a yard in Bulwark, be about '81 ... bought a few cranes off him over the years .. and my first Hydraulic tele ... Hydrocon Huntsman - ex Isis plant ... did me proud that old girl did.

Last edited:
B

bobthebuilder

first knew him around the time he bought the Stardust club outside Usk and when he was operating Chepstow Plant, from a yard in Bulwark, be about '81 ... bought a few cranes off him over the years .. and my first Hydraulic tele ... Hydrocon Huntsman - ex Isis plant ... did me proud that old girl did.
went bust big style in 75/76.but survived quite nicely ,had a lot of his own kit doing some mighty big jobs ,