Ad-Blue, what do you do?

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Been looking at our Ad-Blue use of late, seem to be for ever ordering another 20L drum to fill vans and truck. Been looking at getting IBC which works out at 25p per litre but supplier says only last for 1year and minimum bulk delivery is 800L. With a bit of calculation I reckon we only use about 500L in a year. But the difference in price is huge compared to the small drums.
What is everyone else doing?

Mark

Mark

We buy it in an 1000L ibc, in the summer it will last us about 2 weeks, so have a quick turn around, we refill 20L and 10L drums for site.

S

Smiffy

Why not 45 gallon drum twice a year then and should get somewhere between the two ??

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
25p per litre is really cheap. 88p at the pump (inc vat) and nearly double that for cans round here.
I looked at buying larger quantites but was concerned about it going off. How do you tell if it has gone off?

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
Idk but supplier say you must use within a year. what happens to it to be off?

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
220L drums comes in at around 46p/L so probably do this route. will need to sit it up on a stand or something to gravity feed to the vehicles

craig

craig

220L drums comes in at around 46p/L so probably do this route. will need to sit it up on a stand or something to gravity feed to the vehicles
I use a drum pump especially for adblue, its all plastic and stainless, so should not react with the adblue.
Some manufactures say it will last 18 months, but they all say it should be stored in the dark/ out of direct sunlight. probably not so much of a problem with 200l drums as they`re not translucent?
I`ve got a refractometer, that has a scale for adblue, so hopefully give an idea of quality, TBH I think bad adblue will bring the emission light on, and diagnostics will come up with adblue quality or something similar.
Sometimes our local truck dealer has 20l drums on offer.

J

Jimoz

If it's cheap enough you'd be mad not to go inc if you have room. On those numbers surely you could give away 300l towards end of year and still be infront?

doobin

doobin

Don't known about AdBlue but I can't wait to get my 1300 bulk tank for white. Get rid of all the hassle of going to the garage and a 4p/litre saving to boot. Win win.

J

Jimoz

Also if you don't use it quick enough could you not lose that 4p with price movement?

doobin

doobin

Both valid points. I used to panic about people trying to nick 200l of red, then I realised that I'd rather they take £100 worth of diesel than the £2k wacker plate sitting next to it. It's pretty secure, alarmed compound and a bunded tank. Don't see it getting any cheaper but happy to risk downwards price movement for convenience, not having to queue, not having to social distance and not having to go to town to fill up before going back the other way!

S

Smiffy

As above make sure the add blue is out of sunlight and it should last well
Where I used to work they where still filling up the only add blue tractor out of the ibc that came with it and it was 2yrs old when I started don't think they finished it off until 3½ years old and didnt have a problem
But where I work now are always having ad blue problems on everything tractors lorrys vans diggers presumably from the lack of care of the add blue tank

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Don't known about AdBlue but I can't wait to get my 1300 bulk tank for white. Get rid of all the hassle of going to the garage and a 4p/litre saving to boot. Win win.
What tank you gone for? Toyed with idea myself.

GazCro

GazCro

However expensive you think ad blue is its cheaper than fixing problems if you don't keep it clean.

Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
I have a IBC cost me £100 deposit then 38p a litre a lot cheaper than 20l drums