Ad-Blue, what do you do?

Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Personal opinion with Adblue is to use 20L Can's. Take the hit on the price and don't use part Can's....
Inclined to agree, looked at it a while back and I think it was less than 20p cheaper using IBC than 20Ls

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

We went for a 200l barrel of AdBlue and a pump last time, and decant it into cans for site. Don’t use that much, but more and more things are AdBlue now, so thought the barrel was best.

As for derv, the convenience is great, but you can guarantee the price drops the week after a delivery 🤦‍♂️ You don’t have to use it though, if price does drop then leave it in the tank for when the price goes up and buy it at the pump while it’s low.

Mark

Mark

Personal opinion with Adblue is to use 20L Can's. Take the hit on the price and don't use part Can's....

all Depending on how much you burn I would agree, we’ve had minimal problems the way we have been doing it for the past 5 years. Only real problems we had is with the hydrema 922f’s and that’s down to where the ad blue filler cap is, it’s been put in a shockingly bad place that always gets covers in muck/slurry.

£10.50 for 10L new can
or
2.20 for 10L refilled can

Grahams

Grahams

Don't complain - suggest what's better
Obviously not so convenient in plant, but if it is in vehicles the easiest way to keep it clean and fresh is to get it on the pump in the fuel station. Some are installing it in the car lanes, but all that have lorry lanes have it on pump and it is the same size nozzle.

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Obviously not so convenient in plant, but if it is in vehicles the easiest way to keep it clean and fresh is to get it on the pump in the fuel station. Some are installing it in the car lanes, but all that have lorry lanes have it on pump and it is the same size nozzle.
That sounds dangerous.....

Guy I know stuck a few gallons of AdBlue in his lorry a while ago, picked up wrong nozzle.....

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Same risk as putting petrol in your diesel tank. People do do it, but you hope it’s not you.
's a fact ..... did put a fiver's worth of unleaded in the Golf once, 'fore I realised ..... but managed to cram 50 quidsworth of DERV in on top of it ..... only diesel car I've ever owned ... didn't seem any the worse for it :rolleyes:

Cyberprog

Cyberprog

500l @ 88p a litre = £440
800l @ 25p a litre = £200
wastage would be 300l @ 25p/l = £75, so even accounting for that you'll be saving money. And that assumes you can't sell off that 300L to a neighboring business at say 50p a litre, which would net you £150 back, so your years adblue would only cost you £50 then! (or 67p if you can get away with it, and you'll run your whole year of adblue making £1 of profit)

Last edited:
JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk
The big issue/concern you need to consider with Ad Blue is the fact it crystallises in air. And the crystals don't tend to go through the Adblue system on machines very well.

For that reason, we use 20L can's.... Run the Adblue tank on the machine to half or less.... Bung the whole can in. Throw it on the ground, Jump on the Can. Why the last two steps? to stop the can's being "repurposed" for diesel or water...... it crystallises in both and causes issues. I don't trust reusing the can's. Too expensive to risk.

Hateful Hateful stuff. f**k all environmental benefits when you consider the amount of extra plastic waste.

Quattromike

Quattromike

Well member-known
I know some or the agri guys have done the ECU trick on there tractors to bypass the ad-blue requirement and I can see plant being able to also with no emissions testing but the 3vans and truck all go through MOT which have emissions checks ☹️

GazCro

GazCro

I know some or the agri guys have done the ECU trick on there tractors to bypass the ad-blue requirement and I can see plant being able to also with no emissions testing but the 3vans and truck all go through MOT which have emissions checks ☹️
I did hear of some tractors having had it switched off needing it back on after being spoken to when at the auction mart. Cost quite a lot to get switched back on as the whole system had blocked up with crystals

Gecko

Gecko

Idk but supplier say you must use within a year. what happens to it to be off?
The cat-piss starts to crystallize which can block the lines etc.
Guy I know stuck a few gallons of AdBlue in his lorry a while ago, picked up wrong nozzle.....
In Oz, the cat-piss bowsers are fitted with a magnetic sensor. No magnet in the filler neck - no flow.
It's a PIA if you want to fill a drum, but must have saved a few embarrassing mistakes.

Last edited:
Thomas7740

Thomas7740

I did hear of some tractors having had it switched off needing it back on after being spoken to when at the auction mart. Cost quite a lot to get switched back on as the whole system had blocked up with crystals
Best to just disable the fault codes and unplug the injector, keep pump on so ur keeps the ad blue circulating and stops crystallisation. Then if you need to it's just a matter of plugging it back in. It's how a "friend" has his tractor done

Mark

Mark

There’s a delete kit available for doosan machines fitted with scania engines.

sandy2210

sandy2210

's a fact ..... did put a fiver's worth of unleaded in the Golf once, 'fore I realised ..... but managed to cram 50 quidsworth of DERV in on top of it ..... only diesel car I've ever owned ... didn't seem any the worse for it :rolleyes:
many years ago when I worked for an agricultural contractor and the tractors left out onsite in winter we used to put a gallon of petrol in the tank before filling with diesel to stop it freezing back in the day when it used to wax in freezing conditions

B

Brendan

Not sure on the rules, could you not sell on the extra 300 litres in drums for a little profit?

doobin

doobin

Pump installed and all set for 1300 litres of white being delivered tomorrow. No more going to the garage for me!
2020-11-25 16.35.11.jpg

Cyberprog

Cyberprog

Pump installed and all set for 1300 litres of white being delivered tomorrow. No more going to the garage for me!View attachment 19608
I was watching Ashville weekly the other day (check it out on YouTube, guy my age who runs Ashville aggregates/construction/concrete in London.

He talked about getting diesel in his yard and said it didn't work out much cheaper than buying from garages, but it allowed his guys to fuel at the end of shift and there was no running back and forth to the garages to fuel. He also keeps red and ad-blue, but is running a large fleet.