3CX JCB 1997 Maintenance questions

Gecko

Gecko

from what I can see elsewhere, that part number is simply the rubbery bits .. no QH Valve
The kit was two hoses (~1.2m a), a pair of QD couplers (1xM, 1xF) and an assortment of threaded adapters.
Not really surprised, but still disappointed.

The kit is on it's way back for a refund.

Gecko

Gecko

Been meaning to ask - what does this switch do?
1574184826083.png

Gecko

Gecko

non OE ..... could be anything
Ah - ok, i assumed the "new" switch replaced a broken OE switch and hence had lost its label.
It’s the ejector seat, flick it and hold on tight!
hmmm ... that might explain why the headlining in missing!

the front side-lights and starter work, but all other electrical items appear non functional.
I'll get around to fixing them, but the hydraulics and wear-pads have a higher priority.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Ah - ok, i assumed the "new" switch replaced a broken OE switch and hence had lost its label.

hmmm ... that might explain why the headlining in missing!

the front side-lights and starter work, but all other electrical items appear non functional.
I'll get around to fixing them, but the hydraulics and wear-pads have a higher priority.
Any head shaped dents in the roof ? :oops::rolleyes::unsure::ROFLMAO:

Gecko

Gecko

The kit is on it's way back for a refund.
Received the refund today (less the return postage).
Not a pleasant experience.

Still haven't had a chance to work on it again, so no new problems discovered!

Gecko

Gecko

I'll be in Oz this week and I'll have another session of overdue maintenance.

Could someone with an extradig equipped P8 please post a pic showing the steel pipes down the dipper? Mine have been flapping around for a while and it'd be nice to know what shape they are supposed to be before I make it worse!
The parts list shows it straight with a 180° bend at the bottom (mine are banana shape and only ~90° at the moment!).
1583750155014.png

Also, has anyone replaced the extradig wear strips? The only info the manual has is "take it someone else".
I'm thinking if I fully extend the extradig and put it a full reach (as flat as the boom/dipper will go). Disconnect the hoses to the bucket and remove the ram pin, I can drive forward to expose and replace the lower wear-strips.
With the lower wear wear-strips fully withdrawn (adjusting bolts removed) I'll have plenty of clearance to reassemble the dipper-inner at this stage, but will I be able to slip the upper wear-strips into position?

V8Druid

V8Druid

I'll be in Oz this week and I'll have another session of overdue maintenance.

Could someone with an extradig equipped P8 please post a pic showing the steel pipes down the dipper? Mine have been flapping around for a while and it'd be nice to know what shape they are supposed to be before I make it worse!
The parts list shows it straight with a 180° bend at the bottom (mine are banana shape and only ~90° at the moment!).
View attachment 12543

Also, has anyone replaced the extradig wear strips? The only info the manual has is "take it someone else".
I'm thinking if I fully extend the extradig and put it a full reach (as flat as the boom/dipper will go). Disconnect the hoses to the bucket and remove the ram pin, I can drive forward to expose and replace the lower wear-strips.
With the lower wear wear-strips fully withdrawn (adjusting bolts removed) I'll have plenty of clearance to reassemble the dipper-inner at this stage, but will I be able to slip the upper wear-strips into position?
's what mine look like (y);)

Gecko

Gecko

Straight with a 180 - got it, thanks

As said, mine has been beaten with the ugly stick

1583767230207.png

Last edited:
T

topkit

If not all your lights work check the fuse in the battery compartment you will find a black box in there flick the top off and you will find a couple of 30a large square fuses and a 40 or 50 a fuse as well, when i got my Project 12 it had no lights working but now i have them all operational. My next job is the Throttle pedal return spring which is broken so the pedal goes down but does not return back up under its own power i found the spring was broken it looks like a nightmare to change but i have now started so i will see it through.

Gecko

Gecko

Thanks - I haven't looked at the wiring problems yet.
The side-lights are the only lights working, so all is not well. There are a pair of self resetting circuit breakers mounted to the battery box, so I assume these have replaced the fuses you describe (apparently someone got tired of replacing fuses!). I'll get to the lights, but they are down the list.
New seals to stop the leaking/sagging of the hydraulics is at the top.
An easy job will be to replace the track-rod bushes and pins so the steering doesn't feel like I trying to steer a fish from the wrong end. While I had time, I got a drift machined up, so it should be as easy as it it gets.

Gecko

Gecko

Had a couple of productive days. Door handle now works and feels ... like a door handle!
Seems I wasn't wrong about the steering bushes
1584187124136.png

The clearance is excessive, but the rust would have shredded the bush if it wasn't replaced.

I've got a new fan to fit as the old one was looking a bit sad
(decided it was better to replace before it put a blade through the radiator)
1584188604145.png

Now for the question .... what am I looking at here (apart from a place the degreaser missed!)? Obviously this wiring has failed several times, but what does it do?

1584188289082.png

(from the bottom looking up - forward of the rear axle)

Last edited:
Mogman

Mogman

What man as done, man can do, what never has,maybe
Had a couple of productive days. Door handle now works and feels ... like a door handle!
Seems I wasn't wrong about the steering bushes
View attachment 12612

The clearance is excessive, but the rust would have shredded the bush if it wasn't replaced.

I've got a new fan to fit as the old one was looking a bit sad
(decided it was better to replace before it put a blade through the radiator)
View attachment 12614

Now for the question .... what am I looking at here (apart from a place the degreaser missed!)? Obviously this wiring has failed several times, but what does it do?

View attachment 12613
(from the bottom looking up - forward of the rear axle)
Looks like the return to dig function if it’s on the front spool levers

V8Druid

V8Druid

OK .... higorant Q coming up ........ seen this facility mentioned many times ...... HTF does it work and what controls it? ... obviously a solenoid valve of some sort in the spool, but what exactly does it do ...... will have to crawl under mine and see if it has one ? :unsure:

T

topkit

I doubt if your machine will have the return to dig mr Druid at least i dont remeber it on my black cab 3cx, Project 8 and later machines have them, its normally a button on the loader knob there is usually one for the transmission dump and a second one for the return to dig. Its not the end of the world if it does not work!

C

charlie2

OK .... higorant Q coming up ........ seen this facility mentioned many times ...... HTF does it work and what controls it? ... obviously a solenoid valve of some sort in the spool, but what exactly does it do ...... will have to crawl under mine and see if it has one ? :unsure:
It’s a solenoid that holds the spool down by a detent and ball bearing I think after you have tipped your bucket if you pull the lever hard towards you as in crowding bucket you feel it pass a little resistance, you then let lever go and the bucket returns to level or where ever it’s set, on the offside bucket crowd ram is a tube with a rod in it on the tube is a micro switch with a lever and little roller on the lever or arm when the rod comes through the tube it operates the micro switch turning off the solenoid to allow the spool to centre and if set correctly the bucket will be level ready for filling, sounds complicated but really simple I think. Mainly fitted to turbo sitemaster I think definitely the grey cab project 7 machines.

Gecko

Gecko

Thanks for the explanation, I've got the tube/rod/limit switch, but hadn't managed to get it to do anything 'different'. I'd assumed the limit switch was shot!

Today I discovered I'd lost a full load of fresh anti-freeze (not happy).
There is a ring of glycol around the top of the rubber hose on the intake to the water pump. There were two jubilee clips on the hose plus a third that had slid down and been discarded - apparently several people had tried to fix this before.
Naturally I tightened the clips as best I could and when that failed, I replaced the top clip with a "better than usual" clip and got it really tight - still it leaked.
Then I slid my had round the back of the pump and sure enough, the coolant was coming from someplace higher. Clearly my waterpump has been assembled with a paper gasket while the parts list shows only an O-ring (13). Is this known for leaking?

1584269982356.png

Last edited: