You Guys Talk Funny

M

Michigun

New member
Hey there, I figured the New Year was a good time to make my first post.

I joined a few months ago, after I found this place while doing research on Avant loaders. There wasn't a lot of posts here on Avant, but more than I found anywhere else. I ordered my 860i and some attachments back then, hoping to take delivery before the end of the year (which I have).

I had a dear friend living next to me for 10+ years, who was from England. He'd been in the States since the 70's or 80's, but still had a pretty strong accent. He was a stickler for proper grammer and wasn't shy about pointing out when I wasn't using proper English. I was always impressed with his knowledge and kind of embarrassed at how poor my American public education was compared to his, although I believe much of his was private education.

Anyway, I got the impression that everyone abroad was much better educated than most of us. While I still believe that is probably true, I have certainly been surprised at how difficult it has been for me to follow along with most of the talk here. As I'm reading your posts, I'm guessing most of you are using some sort of dumbed-down slang on purpose. I mean no offense by that, I'm just so surprised at how different everyone here talks.

The flow and rhythm of your posts is just off a bit from what I'm used to, but hopefully I'll catch on. I think a lot of it has to do with the sense of humor used here being different than what I'm used to, but I also have to believe most of you are talking/typing differently than your everyday speech.

Anyway, I've enjoyed lurking around from time to time for these last few months and I hope to contribute a little bit myself moving forward.

Happy New Year.
 
Last edited:
M

Monkeybusiness

Well-known member
Hey there, I figured the New Year was a good time to make my first post.

I joined a few months ago, after I found this place while doing research on Avant loaders. There wasn't a lot of posts here on Avant, but more than I found anywhere else. I ordered my 860i and some attachments back then, hoping to take delivery before the end of the year (which I have).

I had a dear friend living next to me for 10+ years, who was from England. He'd been in the States since the 70's or 80's, but still had a pretty strong accent. He was a stickler for proper grammer and wasn't shy about pointing out when I wasn't using proper English. I was always impressed with his knowledge and kind of embarrassed at how poor my American public education was compared to his, although I believe much of his was private education.

Anyway, I got the impression that everyone abroad was much better educated than most of us. While I still believe that is probably true, I have certainly been surprised at how difficult it has been for me to follow along with most of the talk here. As I'm reading your posts, I'm guessing most of you are using some sort of dumbed-down slang on purpose. I mean no offense by that, I'm just so surprised at how different everyone here talks.

The flow and rhythm of your posts is just off a bit from what I'm used to, but hopefully I'll catch on. I think a lot of it has to do with the sense of humor used here being different than what I'm used to, but I also have to believe most of you are talking/typing differently than your everyday speech.

Anyway, I've enjoyed lurking around from time to time for these last few months and I hope to contribute a little bit myself moving forward.

Happy New Year.
Good to hear you @Michigun!
There are quite a few members on here from the Welsh borders and the West Country, both areas where inbreeding is prevalent.
Education in those areas is secondary to survival - the members on here tend to be the cleverest of their local tribes (believe it or not) and are fortunately the only ones with access to their village’s internet connection.
Their language is decipherable, but you do need to ‘get your ear in’.
 
Lancs Lad

Lancs Lad

Well-known member
Good to hear you @Michigun!
There are quite a few members on here from the Welsh borders and the West Country, both areas where inbreeding is prevalent.
Education in those areas is secondary to survival - the members on here tend to be the cleverest of their local tribes (believe it or not) and are fortunately the only ones with access to their village’s internet connection.
Their language is decipherable, but you do need to ‘get your ear in’.
Eloquently set out my dearest MB, it is good for one to speak in the clearest of annunciation.
Fortunately for our new member from the colony myself and MB hail from the real heart of the Motherland, we are fortunate to have no accent or twist on the mother tongue.😁
 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
Good to hear you @Michigun!
There are quite a few members on here from the Welsh borders and the West Country, both areas where inbreeding is prevalent.
Education in those areas is secondary to survival - the members on here tend to be the cleverest of their local tribes (believe it or not) and are fortunately the only ones with access to their village’s internet connection.
Their language is decipherable, but you do need to ‘get your ear in’.
You must remember all those English lovies have to visit the king at least once a year to enable them to stay in their homes, where as the rest of us don't bow to them 🙂
 
Gecko

Gecko

Well-known member
Welcome to PT
Also a 'foreigner', so I can sympathies regarding the need for subtitles in some threads :ROFLMAO:

I also have to believe most of you are talking/typing differently than your everyday speech.
Keep telling yourself that! You need to visit the UK for the full effect.
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
To be fair …I can’t understand much of what people are on about either

Doing better than me, I struggle to understand what I'm going on about most the time
Fortunately for our new member from the colony myself and MB hail from the real heart of the Motherland, we are fortunate to have no accent or twist on the mother tongue.😁

I find that hard to believe. Real English is that of the home counties. Anything north of the Watford gap becomes Abit dodgy.
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
Hey there, I figured the New Year was a good time to make my first post.

I joined a few months ago, after I found this place while doing research on Avant loaders. There wasn't a lot of posts here on Avant, but more than I found anywhere else. I ordered my 860i and some attachments back then, hoping to take delivery before the end of the year (which I have).

I had a dear friend living next to me for 10+ years, who was from England. He'd been in the States since the 70's or 80's, but still had a pretty strong accent. He was a stickler for proper grammer and wasn't shy about pointing out when I wasn't using proper English. I was always impressed with his knowledge and kind of embarrassed at how poor my American public education was compared to his, although I believe much of his was private education.

Anyway, I got the impression that everyone abroad was much better educated than most of us. While I still believe that is probably true, I have certainly been surprised at how difficult it has been for me to follow along with most of the talk here. As I'm reading your posts, I'm guessing most of you are using some sort of dumbed-down slang on purpose. I mean no offense by that, I'm just so surprised at how different everyone here talks.

The flow and rhythm of your posts is just off a bit from what I'm used to, but hopefully I'll catch on. I think a lot of it has to do with the sense of humor used here being different than what I'm used to, but I also have to believe most of you are talking/typing differently than your everyday speech.

Anyway, I've enjoyed lurking around from time to time for these last few months and I hope to contribute a little bit myself moving forward.

Happy New Year.
Hi Michigan, don’t be put off by some of the comments, it’s our way of saying welcome. By the way, when you get past the language barrier you’ll realise how much cr#p gets spouted on here. Are you an owner op, op, mechanic or salesman?
 
S

Smiffy

Well-known member
Another thing to add is that whilst we are much smaller than the states we have had a lot longer to diversify.
Our language, colloquialisms slang vary massively over relatively short distances. Even whole body types can vary across the country.usually extra toes or webbed feet but some areas have scales and even horns. However despite generations of effort the Welsh have failed to breed a human with a wooly coat.
 
6

6feetdown

Well-known member
Another thing to add is that whilst we are much smaller than the states we have had a lot longer to diversify.
Our language, colloquialisms slang vary massively over relatively short distances. Even whole body types can vary across the country.usually extra toes or webbed feet but some areas have scales and even horns. However despite generations of effort the Welsh have failed to breed a human with a wooly coat.
Talking of scales their are a lot of people in the UK who have never looked at any, mainly because they'd be unable to see the display
 
L

LKSF

Pennine Hillbilly
Hey there, I figured the New Year was a good time to make my first post.

I joined a few months ago, after I found this place while doing research on Avant loaders. There wasn't a lot of posts here on Avant, but more than I found anywhere else. I ordered my 860i and some attachments back then, hoping to take delivery before the end of the year (which I have).

I had a dear friend living next to me for 10+ years, who was from England. He'd been in the States since the 70's or 80's, but still had a pretty strong accent. He was a stickler for proper grammar and wasn't shy about pointing out when I wasn't using proper English. I was always impressed with his knowledge and kind of embarrassed at how poor my American public education was compared to his, although I believe much of his was private education.

Anyway, I got the impression that everyone abroad was much better educated than most of us. While I still believe that is probably true, I have certainly been surprised at how difficult it has been for me to follow along with most of the talk here. As I'm reading your posts, I'm guessing most of you are using some sort of dumbed-down slang on purpose. I mean no offense by that, I'm just so surprised at how different everyone here talks.

The flow and rhythm of your posts is just off a bit from what I'm used to, but hopefully I'll catch on. I think a lot of it has to do with the sense of humor used here being different than what I'm used to, but I also have to believe most of you are talking/typing differently than your everyday speech.

Anyway, I've enjoyed lurking around from time to time for these last few months and I hope to contribute a little bit myself moving forward.

Happy New Year.
I'd love to know what it is you're struggling with!
Hope this doesn't offend, but it's a tough fact that when our language was imported into the US it was purposely dumbed down to make it easier to use. So what you're reading is the original version which has also moved on a bit over here. Also as said above (and like you) we have many regional variants too.
The UK was invaded and taken over by different people from overseas in mainland Europe so our language is made up from those, it isn't pure. It's a mix of all sorts.
 
Canal Navvy

Canal Navvy

Well-known member
I'd love to know what it is you're struggling with!
Hope this doesn't offend, but it's a tough fact that when our language was imported into the US it was purposely dumbed down to make it easier to use. So what you're reading is the original version which has also moved on a bit over here. Also as said above (and like you) we have many regional variants too.
The UK was invaded and taken over by different people from overseas in mainland Europe so our language is made up from those, it isn't pure. It's a mix of all sorts.

Although if William Shakespeare could time travel he'd find American English closer to the spoken English of his time than ours is now 🤔😁
 
V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
Good to hear you @Michigun!
There are quite a few members on here from the Welsh borders and the West Country, both areas where inbreeding is prevalent.
Education in those areas is secondary to survival - the members on here tend to be the cleverest of their local tribes (believe it or not) and are fortunately the only ones with access to their village’s internet connection.
Their language is decipherable, but you do need to ‘get your ear in’.
cheeky bas**rd MB :p:p
Eloquently set out my dearest MB, it is good for one to speak in the clearest of annunciation.
Fortunately for our new member from the colony myself and MB hail from the real heart of the Motherland, we are fortunate to have no accent or twist on the mother tongue.😁
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Ay oop lads .... WTF are thar on aboot an' what're you smoking LL :oops::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: ... no accent FFS :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: .... 's almost as indecipherable as Geordie, cannylad :p:giggle:


Welcome @Michigun .... it'll be an 'education', if nothing else :LOL:
 
Bri963

Bri963

Well-known member
I worked with an American engineer for three months a few years ago. When we said our goodbyes someone asked him what was the first thing on the agenda when he got back to Illinois, he said “An English Language refresher course”.
 
Top