Yard/shed rent? What does everyone do?

Storrsy

Storrsy

Currently renting yard space of a farmer. basically enough to keep 3 diggers/trailers and bits and bobs.

What I really want is to rent a shed big enough to keep it all in and do servicing etc, Pretty disheartening leaving Machines/kit lying around outside but not much available around here.
obviously don’t expect anyone to disclose too much details about their yards, but would be interested to know what size/facilities you have and how much it costs you a month?

Hg2702

Hg2702

What ever you have it’ll never be big enough 🤣 I’ve got my Grandad’s yard which I think you saw 🧐 basically a few sheds and room for one lorry load of stone so long as I don’t bring anything back from site 🤣 would love to rearrange it all but neighbours and cash stopped that idea

JD450A

JD450A

Feral as Fk 🐾
Unfortunately so- I hear the weathers much better down there! I’m Princetown based.

Yes, definitely better here.

I know someone at Ivybridge/South Brent that is planning to put some units up. but that's still a fair jaunt.

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
a perennial problem whatever part of the country you'm in .... yards/units are always at a premium, where-ever you are.

My old yard in Aber. at just over an acre, with 10,000 ft2 of building was the best £100k I ever spent ... in 1984 ... which was a LOT of bucks then !! I sold the yard/workshop I moved out of in weeks ... 1/3rd acre with 1800 ft2 building (and a couple of ghosts) .... was built on one of the oldest parts of Aber and was once the town gaol and lock up, a couple of centuries before !!

there have been lots of units go up around the town in the last 40 years, but virtually all are constantly occupied ... coupled with the fact that anything that does come on the market ... or at least comes up for sale, is usually snapped up by one of two people in the town, who have their ears constantly to the ground and have usually bought them before anyone actually realises they're for sale :mad:

friendly farmers with an eye to some readies are the best bet 'round here too .... no rates (mine were a grand a month :censored:) and on site security (sort of / to a degree and usually plenty of dawgs about, making a racket) is also a plus factor ... if you can actually find a unit try to be sure it's under the threshold for small biz rates relief ... 'cos they're bloody crippling to small traders !! 🤬

T whiting

T whiting

I have access to my brothers and dads farmyard if I need to store my machine for a bit but in reality it spends all it's time on site or parked outside my house

G

Gez_lewis

weve got a farm so plenty of space , but I also rent 1 acre of yard and a 75x30ft shed that's secure ish with cctv and alarmed locked gate and brilliant access to a dual carridgeway that's got no neighbours within 1/4 mile which doesn't come cheap!!
but outgrown it so looking for 2 or 3 acres on an industrial est so I can expand that part of the business

TiltyShaun

TiltyShaun

Only brought the farm for somewhere to park the kit. After my partners Dad, Bill, died I became a reluctant farmer. Have enjoyed the farm whilst a took care of my daughter, but now working, having the dreaded ”your cows are out” phone call it is a pain.
The penny only recently dropped when I was wondering how Bill did it all. He was a full time lecturer at the local Agri College. Plenty of holidays to sort all the fencing and hay making during Easter and the summer Hols!,

S

Smiffy

Only brought the farm for somewhere to park the kit. After my partners Dad, Bill, died I became a reluctant farmer. Have enjoyed the farm whilst a took care of my daughter, but now working, having the dreaded ”your cows are out” phone call it is a pain.
The penny only recently dropped when I was wondering how Bill did it all. He was a full time lecturer at the local Agri College. Plenty of holidays to sort all the fencing and hay making during Easter and the summer Hols!,

If it's anything like my lectures he'd also have the students down the farm doing the work as part of the coursework

V8Druid

V8Druid

it's when you get a call saying yer crimbo trees have escaped you wanna worry :oops: :oops: :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

V8Druid

V8Druid

weve got a farm so plenty of space , but I also rent 1 acre of yard and a 75x30ft shed that's secure ish with cctv and alarmed locked gate and brilliant access to a dual carridgeway that's got no neighbours within 1/4 mile which doesn't come cheap!!
but outgrown it so looking for 2 or 3 acres on an industrial est so I can expand that part of the business
you have a farm ......... and rent a yard ????????? :oops::unsure:o_Oo_O tax dodge ? :giggle::unsure:

G

Gez_lewis

you have a farm ......... and rent a yard ????????? :oops::unsure:o_Oo_O tax dodge ? :giggle::unsure:

the farm was ideal everything in the same place but then jelous family members and great neighbours put a stop to that!
to be fair moving was for the best, but it turns out an acre isn't big enough so the search continues!
still keep our wagons on the farm because as it turns out you can complain about 45ft trailers as much as you want theres nothing anyone can do.....

D

DaveDCB

Keeping an eye on this thread as I may be renting my newly built yard out at some point.. interesting to gauge values..
ended up buying another yard - Should of all been turned to housing but planners and local parish are having a hissy fit, so bugger them, they can have some noise Rather than some nice houses 🙄

CPS

CPS

Keeping an eye on this thread as I may be renting my newly built yard out at some point.. interesting to gauge values..
ended up buying another yard - Should of all been turned to housing but planners and local parish are having a hissy fit, so bugger them, they can have some noise Rather than some nice houses 🙄
Hungry Bullocks fed once a week :ROFLMAO:

M

Monkeybusiness

Pigs.

V8Druid

V8Druid

Hungry Bullocks fed once a week :ROFLMAO:
Pikies :giggle:
planners pissed me about so much with mine (close to 4 years of arguing), I was close to filling the yard with pikies and f**k 'em all ....... THAT would've focused a few a*s* hole minds ..... whole town was up for the app., 'cept the *ricks in the planning office

M

Monkeybusiness

Pikies :giggle:
planners pissed me about so much with mine (close to 4 years of arguing), I was close to filling the yard with pikies and f**k 'em all ....... THAT would've focused a few a*s* hole minds ..... whole town was up for the app., 'cept the *ricks in the planning office
I wouldn’t go down that route even as a last resort - pretty much irreversible once you’ve thrown that particular dice.

V8Druid

V8Druid

I wouldn’t go down that route even as a last resort - pretty much irreversible once you’ve thrown that particular dice.
couple of gallons of petrol spread about in the wee hours and a note to say " back with the matches soon" :giggle::giggle: ..... they'd soon **** off ... an' if they didn't ... go get some matches and do the world a favour (y)