Work lights

Quattromike

Quattromike

What’s the method of choice people are using for connecting all the lights together on the roof of the cab? I have 4 lights to fit round the roof of the cab and only one supply to string around them, this means doing some connections externally. How good would spade connectors and a bit heat shrink be :unsure:

V8Druid

V8Druid

do it as well as you can,but learn to do it better
What’s the method of choice people are using for connecting all the lights together on the roof of the cab? I have 4 lights to fit round the roof of the cab and only one supply to string around them, this means doing some connections externally. How good would spade connectors and a bit heat shrink be :unsure:
it's a difficult one Mike as keeping them watertight is not easy ..... when I put my four on top of the front of my cab they all came with short tails, so had to extend all of them .... used in line crimps and heat shrunk them individually then as pairs, leading the extended tails all to one point, to pick up power ... the four into one joint then got heat shrink wrapped at a good length and filled the centre of the four way with sili ...been on there two plus years now and not given any issues ...... yet
had considered a Gewiss junction box and IP 67 glands into it, for all the connections, but the tails weren't long enough sadly:cry:

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Either solder and heat shrink a loom together, or use waterproof connectors such as AMP or Deutsch connnectors and make up a loom. AMP will be cheaper than Deutsch, Deutsch are good though.

Anything external and really in the elements, when I heat shrink, I like to fill the heat shrink with silicone, for a good waterproof joint.

Your going to need to splice a loom together anyway, to get four separate feeds, it’s just weather you want to be able to change a light easily in the future or not? So a combination of soldered and heat shrink loom, with waterproof connectors to join the lamps?

Nick...

Nick...

Deutsch connectirs are not too expensive.bought some on amazon couple years back to put on led lights so they connected onto volvo and jcb fittings.bit of a pain to put together but been fine.worst part was 2week delivery time from China but they were a fraction of the price of uk supplied fittings
Nick...

Shovelhands

Shovelhands

Were they genuine Deutsch then Nick? If they were from China?

You also need a special crimper for the Deutsch pins, but then you do for the AMP also.

V8Druid

V8Druid

I used to be a big fan of soldered connections, as they're more compact, but read a report years ago that said well made crimp joints were more efficient conductors than soldered .... which I found hard to believe ..... but TBF I've never had any issues with crimps for connections.... certainly quicker and easier to make ;) and a lot less faff (y)

Nick...

Nick...

Were they genuine Deutsch then Nick? If they were from China?

You also need a special crimper for the Deutsch pins, but then you do for the AMP also.
They certainly fitted the oem parts ok but don’t if genuine but sold as such.only places I could find in uk were motorsport suppliers.only paid around £28 for 10 male and female too.i just crimped the fittings with long nose pliers and all ok after couple years
Nick...

doobin

doobin

What you need are heat shrink connectors.

2019-03-08 08.20.52.jpg

Costs a bit to get a full set together but then they're there when you need them. They have solder inside, and glue filled heat shrink on the outside. You crimp them, then use a heat gun on them. I've never had one fail. First time I tried them I made a ring of wire up, joined with a butt connector. Pulled it apart with my hands- the wire failed, the crimp didn't. From then on I was sold and have used them ever since with no issues whatsoever.

V8Druid

V8Druid

Amalgamating tape is quite handy as well for those awkward bits.
Aye, the old self amalgamating tape is great stuff for loom creation (y) ... not that easy to find sometimes though :rolleyes::(

Nick...

Nick...

View attachment 5421

Costs a bit to get a full set together but then they're there when you need them. They have solder inside, and glue filled heat shrink on the outside. You crimp them, then use a heat gun on them. I've never had one fail. First time I tried them I made a ring of wire up, joined with a butt connector. Pulled it apart with my hands- the wire failed, the crimp didn't. From then on I was sold and have used them ever since with no issues whatsoever.
Saw these on facebook last autumn and got a boxful of Amazon,not overly expensive either
Nick...

V8Druid

V8Druid

View attachment 5421

think I have some of these ..... never realized they were heat shrinkable :giggle: